Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2008, 10:56 PM

Default Digi 003 Rack Hardware Not Recognized Mac OSX

Salutations -

Mag Dual 2.3 G5
OS X 10.4.11 (started with OS 10.4.8 - was told to upgrade by vendor)
ProTools LE 7.3

I've read the "before you post" was on the phone with vendor 2 hours and I'm at my wit's end. I have built no less than 8 different ProTools systems starting as early as 1993 - so I've been around the block a bit and know a thing or two about building these systems.

Today I upgraded work's M-Box to a Digi 003 Rack - ProTools 7.3 was the bundle installled on OS X 10.4.8. The hardware was not recognized. I spent much time on phone with a very informed vendor who said I needed to update both OS and ProTools software as 7.3 is full of problems.

I tried updates from ProTools 7.3 to 7.3.1- software updates on Mac OS X from OS 10.4.8 to OS X 10.4.11 with the complete update and not through Apple's "Software Update" app. Regardless, the 003 hardware is not recognized. Tried different firewire cables, ports, etc. Even installed the software on my Mac G4 laptop - and still nothing... The application starts to open but never recognizes the 003 Rack hardware. Here's the caveat. The M-Box still works fine on both the tower and the laptop. It's recognized and boots the software.

I've updated newer LE software twice - tried 7.3.1 - and now have 7.4 installed too and still nothing... Fixed permissions - clean install of ProTools - uninstalled ProTools with digi application, tried the "rebinding" application - etc. CoreAudio doesn't see firewire - ProTools LE doesn't see it... Also - the Firewire light on the front of the 003 Rack does not light - but in the back when i plug the FW cable into the 003 I get the link light located next to the FW port on the 003...

Over the years I've built no less than 8 systems from my first 422 interface to full on 24 track systems - and this takes the cake for most frustrating!

Digi closed at 4:00 Pacific time today and I have a client flying in from LA Monday. Someone please help -

p
Old 07-25-2008, 11:25 PM

Default Try this...

Hi!

I had the same problem yesterday with a 003 Factory. Not recognized with a MacBook, MacBook Pro and Mac Pro. Tiger and Leopard.

Try this (found it in the answerbase):
You can force the 003 (both rack and Factory) in "Load Firmware" mode.

With the unit off hold down 'Aux In->7/8' and the 'Mute' button (next to the Monitor knob), and then turn on the power to the unit. On 003 you'll see the display say "Load Firmware" and the MIDI Lights (In, Out1, Out2) will all start flashing. The MIDI lights flashing is the only indication on the 003 Rack that the unit is in this mode.

Once it is in this mode, launch Pro Tools, and you will see the message, "003 has firmware version x.xx, do you want to update..." Click the Update button to upload the 003 firmware.

In my case it works, and the Factory was recogniced!

Cheers

Ziggy
Old 07-26-2008, 08:23 PM

Ziggy -

You sir are a Godsend! Firmware was indeed the issue and once I tried your little trick, everything else fell into place. If you were in Portland OR, I'd buy you a beer! Thanks so much for the expertise. I also made my vendor (Local Guitar Center) aware of the issue and why / how to fix. Thanks Ziggy- you're a life saver!

Cheers

Paul
Old 07-27-2008, 09:47 AM

You are welcome, Paul!

I gladly take the beer, thank you!
But sadly I´m in little Austria, so I need a very long straw

Cheers

Zig
Old 08-13-2008, 11:56 PM

Hi.I've a quesstion.
Where from ProTools updates 003's firmware?
From internet or from ProTools's installed database?

because i've a problem.When it update firmware it's crash (003 Ofline show's) after 012 kb.
I've ProTools 7.4.2 (patched) with Leopard 10.5.4

PLS help
Old 11-09-2008, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Digi 003 Rack Hardware Not Recognized Mac OSX

hi, did you ever find an answer to your 003 problem. i have the same problem. tries to upload the firmware but crashes halfway through. any help appreciated.
cheers
Ø
Old 11-11-2008, 07:56 AM
Avid

Quote:
hi, did you ever find an answer to your 003 problem. i have the same problem. tries to upload the firmware but crashes halfway through. any help appreciated.
Can you give us more information on your system? There are several possible causes and solutions, but we need to know what you're working with.

See the Help Us Help You thread for details.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:01 AM

Hello,
I'm a french user and I bought recently a 003 rack factory.
I have the new mac pro 2,8ghz with mac osx leopard (10.5.6)
I have just upgraded mac os and after I install the protools 8 (I had the right to download free by digidesign website)
Protools recognized the hardware 003 rack and i have a light in the back of the rack (the link light) but in the front, any light is ON.. Normaly i believe the MUTE button must lit?
I have connect my monitor to the rack and nothing.
When I lunch Protools 8 for the first, a message appears for upgrade my rack firmware to 8.XX but nothing, after reboot of the computer, the light are always off.

I don't know what i make..
Thanks (sorry for my english)
Old 03-14-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminxo View Post
Hello,
I'm a french user and I bought recently a 003 rack factory.
I have the new mac pro 2,8ghz with mac osx leopard (10.5.6)
I have just upgraded mac os and after I install the protools 8 (I had the right to download free by digidesign website)
Protools recognized the hardware 003 rack and i have a light in the back of the rack (the link light) but in the front, any light is ON.. Normaly i believe the MUTE button must lit?
I have connect my monitor to the rack and nothing.
When I lunch Protools 8 for the first, a message appears for upgrade my rack firmware to 8.XX but nothing, after reboot of the computer, the light are always off.

I don't know what i make..
Thanks (sorry for my english)
Greetings everybody,
Protools upgrade LE 7.4.2 to LE 8 on LEopard 10.5.6

did you finally get your 003 working? I live in luxembourg here and I had the same problem of 003 not being recognised. I force it to work through firmware update. but the problem right now is that when I go to my midi devices in protools the 003 HW is disappeared. Does any one know how and what I could do to make the HW visible in
in midi devises.

Many thanks

Dprincewillz
Old 10-26-2011, 09:21 AM

Hi,I have the 003 digidesing and a G5 mac computer and I was recording nice and easy but now I'm having a problem when I want to open the pro tools 8.0. A message that tells me that, the hardware is not recognized, turn it on and try again. I did to many things like put a new FW cable, unistalling and installing the software, turn the computer off by pressing the power button and right now I'm very confused. I hope somebody can help me and give me some clue. Thank you.