Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2014, 10:34 AM

Default can't drag files into ProTools timeline

I run PT 10.3.3 on OS 10.8.2 at home and have never had this happen, so I'm very confused.

Where I teach we're running PT 10.3.4 on OS 10.6.8, an HD Native system with some kind of Lynx card (not too familiar with the hardware there).

I can't drag audio file onto the PT timeline, or into the Clip Bin. Not from Basehead, not from the Finder, no where. I can drag from the Finder onto the ProTools icon in the dock, and it puts the files in the Clip Bin.

Is this a bug? A feature? A setting I didn't know existed?

Thanks!!!
Atmos 7.1.2
hugmonstersound.com / unheardof.world
Old 03-16-2015, 10:58 AM

Default Re: can't drag files into ProTools timeline

I am having the same/similar problem.

I highlighted my BIN files. When I highlight them all, I am usually able to drag them onto one new track, and they simply re-arrange to be back-to-back in alphabetical order.

But, now it will not let me. I see that if I select 2 files, it puts them on 2 tracks, stacked on atop the other. But I only want them in one track, back-to-back, not vertically across many tracks. Not sure what setting I must have changed.

Can anyone help?
Old 03-16-2015, 11:13 AM

screen shots? None of the descriptions here are very clear. What are the track displays set to? What exact format are the files you are trying to drag and drop? Are they mino or stereo (check don't assume)? Tracks stereo or mono? There has been discussion on DUC recently about confusion caused by new support for interleaved stereo files in Pro Tools. Sounds like at least for the second post that might be an issue?
Old 03-16-2015, 11:58 AM

At the moment, I do not have screen shots.

What are the track displays set to? - They are set to waveform.
What exact format are the files you are trying to drag and drop? - WAVE, 24-bit, 48k.
Are they mino or stereo (check don't assume)? - Mono.
Tracks stereo or mono? - Mono.

This is PT10 HD on Mac.

Here is an alternate description of my problem (from my other thread of the same issue):

I used to be able to drag multiple clips from my bin into a single new track horizontally. The clips would be positioned back-to-back, in numerical order.

Now, when I drag clips from the bin, it only wants to do so vertically, stacked across many tracks (since I have hundreds of clips, this would be hundreds of tracks).
Old 03-16-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viaspiaggia View Post
PT 10.3.4 on OS 10.6.8
I can't drag audio file onto the PT timeline, or into the Clip Bin. Not from Basehead, not from the Finder, no where. I can drag from the Finder onto the ProTools icon in the dock, and it puts the files in the Clip Bin!
Need more info (as Darryl replied)... Mono or Stereo files? Mono or Stereo Tracks, or empty (no tracks) session? Screenshots could help.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiannis View Post
I used to be able to drag multiple clips from my bin into a single new track horizontally. The clips would be positioned back-to-back, in numerical order.
Now, when I drag clips from the bin, it only wants to do so vertically, stacked across many tracks (since I have hundreds of clips, this would be hundreds of tracks).
Sounds like you have the Timeline Drop Order (pref at the bottom of the Clips menu) set to Top to Bottom. Switch this to Left to Right and let us know what happens.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Sounds like you have the Timeline Drop Order (pref at the bottom of the Clips menu) set to Top to Bottom. Switch this to Left to Right and let us know what happens.
CORRECT!!!

I was actually informed of this by a coworker/PT Wizard. The fix worked perfectly and got me going.

It turns out that on my personal laptop, I changed that clips list setting long ago, and on my work computer, I forgot it even existed.