Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 08:52 AM

Default archive for long term

I've been spending the last few days doing something I should have done 5 years ago and that's taking all the many DATs and data DAT's I've made over the years and transferring them (in the case of audio DATs through ProTools) to computer hard drive. Now the question comes up: what is the best medium for <long term> archiving of audio files (ProTools sessions, mixes, etc). 5 years ago I didn't think they'd stop making DAT players but here we are.

For current sessions I've been backing up to DVD discs with Retrospect, but I'm curious as to what people feel is the best long term medium, esp now that I'm re-archiving all those DATs from past years. I'm not even sure how long DVD discs are supposed to last, must less will there be hardware to play it 10 years? And to make DVD discs of all this new material from years past would be pretty time consuming.

I'm inclined to just buy a big drive and backup everything to that but wonder how other people handle it.

TIA
OS X 10.7.5
Old 10-22-2005, 10:44 AM

Default Re: archive for long term

Data migration is the process of transferring data from obsolete formats to a currently viable format.

If you collect data, (for any reason), you will be involved in a certain amount of data migrating... some folks are using data DVD and CD-rs... and some folks are using "farwar" drives (and other drives). In any case, any archive format will need to be backed-up from time to time.

I generally prefer stone tablets for my important work... but data DVDs and CD-Rs have been pretty reliable for the 15 or so years I have been using them. Drives are attractive because of their capacity... but it's probably a good idea to fire them up once a year or so to see if they turn.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Re: archive for long term

Quote:
Data migration is the process of transferring data from obsolete formats to a currently viable format.

If you collect data, (for any reason), you will be involved in a certain amount of data migrating... some folks are using data DVD and CD-rs... and some folks are using "farwar" drives (and other drives). In any case, any archive format will need to be backed-up from time to time.

I generally prefer stone tablets for my important work... but data DVDs and CD-Rs have been pretty reliable for the 15 or so years I have been using them. Drives are attractive because of their capacity... but it's probably a good idea to fire them up once a year or so to see if they turn.
my humble opinion......i knew that would get your attention!

first this important thought.
DON'T trust the drive to boot up after a year or ever for that matter.......it only takes a spider web or some dust or a cyber bugger to cause it to have the "sticktion" phenomenon (sp?)

or just go the dual DVD route and skip the mechanical drive idea

DVD or CDR is a MUST for stability with in tandem with your fiahwiah dedicated backup drive for speed incase you need the info mo quickly

be sure to
keep the plastic media in a different location place than the fiah wiah

"U cain't lose wit de stuf i uze"

another thing
don't put off the archiving...stay on top of it

otherwise you'll be like me and have to shut down for a couple of days to catch up

number and log your archives in a way that will enable you to look like a genius when that client calls and want to do a mix tweak from something you did over 5 years ago. there is nothing like being called a genius by a paying client to make you forget any childhood feelings of insecurity, lack, or limitation.

i use an excel spread sheet so that i can search/find on the title or writer of over 3000 songs i have archived this point and i am behind probably about 1000 gigabytes (4 FAT drives).....if that doggone protools wouldn't keep me so prosperous and busy i could take off a few days to to the catchup thang......thanks digi!

i hope this helps.