Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 12-29-2013, 10:23 AM

Default A few questions about upgrading from Mbox mini

Hi there. I bought my PT10/Mbox mini bundle a year ago and recently have started to dig in (rough year). I'm using an HP Laptop and so far ok on my first recording project. My questions are specifically;

1) All Mbox mini's are USB 1.1 regardless of generation, right?
2) Could I expect better performance with an audio interface that is USB 2.0? There seems to be some ambiguity out there but I think I've narrowed it down-I'm guess most AI's that are specifically USB 2.0 are 24 bit/96khz capable, or simply specify "USB 2.0".
3) Why aren't Mbox's or their Fast Track replacements available without a bundle for Schmoes like me that want to upgrade their AI and already have PT10?

If the general consensus is that USB 2.0 out performs any Mbox mini, AND there isn't a suitable standalone Avid AI on the market, I'd love to hear of alternative products. My needs don't really exceed the mini by much; USB 2.0, 24/96, 2 in, 2 out. I see just about every one in the market slot (Focusrite, Presonus) has some chatter about compatibility with Pro Tools. My laptop does not have Firewire capability. I have 2 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0 ports.

I see RME has a USB 3.0 AI out there. Yikes, too pricey.

Thanks,

Larry
Old 12-29-2013, 11:41 AM

Default Re: A few questions about upgrading from Mbox mini

The Mboxes and Fast Tracks ARE available without Protools. In fact that's the only way they're sold. You are confusing Protools Express, which is basically free, with full Protools. When the Mini's and Mboxes were sold with full Protools, they were about twice the price they are now. Now they are only sold with Protools Express, which is basically free.

If you already have full Protools, you are really paying any extra when these units are bundled with PT Express.

When you say "better performance", I'm not sure what you're referring to.

What are you trying to do differently, and what do you feel is limiting you right now?
Old 12-29-2013, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the reply, nst7. Yes, I suppose you are right regarding the price of the existing available mboxes/fast tracks.

When I specify better performance I mean the ability to record at a higher that 48000 sample rate, less latency (I notice a significant increase as I bump track count).
Old 12-29-2013, 01:58 PM

Total track count or # of tracks you can record simultaneously?

USB2 can do 96k but USB2 still is a poor for sustained transfers do to it's lack of a dedicated controller

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-29-2013, 04:21 PM

"Total track count or # of tracks you can record simultaneously?"

Track count. I don't have the ability to record more than two tracks simultaneously anyway. Maybe I'm making some presumptions on the capabilities of USB 1-2-3. I'm moving from an antiquated world of Win 98/Vegas/Delta 44 interface. The fact that most of the non-avid low end AIs are in fact USB 2.0 and capable of doing 24/96 where as the 1.1 mini boxes top out at 48 may have lead me to believe that there'll be incremental performance upgrade moving up the USB ladder. The latency issue is one I've had some success with by minimizing some non-essentials while tracking, and of course buffer settings.