Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2015, 12:37 AM

Default Re: HDX Latency

I too experience this on my HDX rigs. Buzz kill for sure. I think the clue is that it happens after duplicating tracks. At least that's my experience.
m

Mountain lion, HDX, PT 11.3.1
Old 04-21-2015, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioluche View Post
Hi Volodia,

You have a massive delay if your 480 is on an hardware insert on an AUX track?
I dont have any problems with my H3000, PCM's or Bricasti when using them.
I have a delay only when i am in record mode for printing these fx.
Is this what you mean?

Cheers!
480 is 2 ins 4 outs . I don't use in insert . It used to work fine with TDM . Not anymore with HDX
Old 04-21-2015, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Yep. Just read the specs. If it says X amount of milliseconds (and you know the sampling rate) you can translate it into samples, exactly.
No it doesn't work that way . It's not the hardware delay . The delay grows as I ad plugs in the session . It's not fixed and it's huge . Pro tools applies delay to an aux hardware input when it shouldn't . It seems to apply it to the hardware output as well because disabling ADC on the aux doesn't fix it . For ex you can't use a summing box on the drums only and have it back in your session through an aux . It won't be in sync anymore . Of course if you have no plugs it works, but then ,I use plugs to mix and native ones as well . The problem occurs with any native plug . It works on TDM it should work on HDX .
I should specify that I use Avid's own HD IO 16x16 interfaces . PT HDX2 11.3.1 . Mac OSX 10.8.5

edit: found a fix . Send a bus to a mon aux input that I output to the hardware (lex 480A) . Then I set a stereo aux rtn with a harware input ( Lex 480 A) . I disable ADC on both aux tracks and it works now whatever amount of global latency is induced by the plugs . The conclusion is that Pro Tools doesn't deal properly with the hardware input and outputs although inserts work fine . It tends to apply a delay to the output that is equal to the global latency .
Old 04-24-2015, 10:08 AM

Hey Avid,

It's time to get on the buss. If ya know what I mean. Talk to us.

Huge latency for the new, big, beautiful, EXPENSIVE system that replaced HD/TDM is freakin' inexcusable. And you want us to subscribe to this extortion pay-to-stay-alive system so we can get upgrades – when you won't address this?

Come on. Speak up.

Signed,

YOUR CUSTOMERS
Old 04-24-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodia View Post
The conclusion is that Pro Tools doesn't deal properly with the hardware input and outputs although inserts work fine
Ahem...

If you insert an outboard reverb, you should do it as a hardware insert and not sending stuff out and bringing stuff back in. There is a custom delay compensation tab in the i/o setup and if you know the exact amount of delay PT will take care of it.

Or did I misunderstood something you were going to do?
Old 05-04-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Ahem...

If you insert an outboard reverb, you should do it as a hardware insert and not sending stuff out and bringing stuff back in. There is a custom delay compensation tab in the i/o setup and if you know the exact amount of delay PT will take care of it.

Or did I misunderstood something you were going to do?
I don't use inserts on the 480 because it has 2 ins 4 outs . I worked for ages like that with no problem on my TDM rigs . No noticeable latency (especially on a verb) . And you should be able to use hardware outputs (for whatever reason) if you want to without HUGE latency . On PT HDX as soon as you use native plugins it's unusable . Not only that, but if your musicians play to a click while there is a native plugin in the session the recording won't be aligned with the click when it plays back . Experienced it this afternoon on a big live session(drums,bass,piano,guitar,percussion,vocal). you can't afford to have even ONE native plugin in the session without ****ing up the recording . I'm sorry but this NEVER happened with TDM .
It's true that the lack of DSP plugins doesn't help either . No more waves,sound toys,Eventide . For modulation effects there's not much going on (phasers,flangers) .
Old 05-04-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
On PT HDX as soon as you use native plugins it's unusable . Not only that, but if your musicians play to a click while there is a native plugin in the session the recording won't be aligned with the click when it plays back . Experienced it this afternoon on a big live session(drums,bass,piano,guitar,percussion,vocal). you can't afford to have even ONE native plugin in the session without ****ing up the recording . I'm sorry but this NEVER happened with TDM .
It's true that the lack of DSP plugins doesn't help either . No more waves,sound toys,Eventide . For modulation effects there's not much going on (phasers,flangers) .
I record often with native plugins in the session and i never had this problem.
All the tracks are perfectly in sync when played back...
It must be something specific to your system?
Sorry to hear this. This must be annoying. Maybe it's a specific plugins who's breaking delay compensation?

Last edited by audioluche; 05-04-2015 at 07:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-04-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Waves truly let us down but I've let myself understand that Eventide are closing on the full AnthologyII AAX-native release and are considering DSP version after that. Let us hope they can deliver.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioluche View Post
I record often with native plugins in the session and i never had this problem.
All the tracks are perfectly in sync when played back...
It must be something specific to your system?
Sorry to hear this. This must be annoying. Maybe it's a specific plugins who's breaking delay compensation?
I don't know but it's very annoying . I did two takes yesterday one without plugin and another one with a tremolator (sound toys) on the rhodes. . When I nudged forward the second take (all tracks) by the plugs latency, it was ok (yes it was playing ahead after the take ) .It happens whatever the plugin is . Delay compensation is on . Happened before .

I have Pro Tools HDX2, Mac OSX 10.8.5 . Mac 12 cores ( 5.1) PT 11.3.1 , AVID S6

All the interfaces are AVID HD IO ( 4 16x16, 1 Digital )

Last edited by volodia; 05-18-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:49 AM

Default Latency

This thing is broken!! Is anyone at Avid listening? Does anyone there actually test the software? I can't afford to even call Avid to speak with anyone, but they are willing to "release" PT12.......

Jim Morris
Morrisound Recording
Tampa, FL