Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2001, 09:40 PM

Default inexpensive drum mic kits

I'm looking for an inexpensive drum mike kit. I will not use it to justify spending the money on an expensive set. I have been looking CAD, AT, and NADY. The Nady looks like it would be nice if it sounded good.

Thanks
Old 10-06-2001, 08:57 AM

Default Re: inexpensive drum mic kits

Check out the Shure set. 3 57s with clamps to mount on drums and a Beta 52. It also comes with a great carrying case. I love it!!! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2001, 02:49 PM

I´ve also been checking out for inexpensive mic kits and have seen that Nady, Audio Technica and CAD have mic kits that fits my price range at the moment. Is anyone using one of the products named earlier??? I would really like to hear if Nady mics are worth it or not. (Btw The Shure package is more expensive and doesn´t come with condenser mics but they are probably better mics!!)
Old 10-07-2001, 03:10 PM

Go with Shure 57s for snare and toms unless you can get some Senheiser 421s for the tomsand a large diapham mic for the kick. EV PL-20s are great and of course there are D-12s.

I actually like to double mike the kick. A large diaphram inside the shell to catch the low end and air movement and then something like a 57 near the drummers foot pointing to where the beater hits the head so I can control how much attack I get.

No matter what you do, go with dynamic mics on all your drums and condensers for the overheads. The dynamics will give you a nice and edgy sound and the condensers will bring out the full dynamics & brilliance of your cymbals.

Time flies like the wind;
Fruit flies like bananas.
~ Groucho Marx
Old 10-07-2001, 03:11 PM

P.S. if you just can't afford to buy a bunch of mikes, look into renting mikes from your local music store or studio supply for the length of your project.

Time flies like the wind;
Fruit flies like bananas.
~ Groucho Marx
Old 10-07-2001, 07:11 PM

If you have a good room then a couple of overheads and a kick mic will do fine. I have a pair of Octava small diaphram condensers ($99 each) that work great for acoustic guitars, piano, strings, and the like. Again, it depends on the room sound and the type of music but there's nothing wrong with a couple of good overheads for a drum sound. The majority of the sound of a trap comes from the overheads. Experiment with different mic positions. There's even recordings done with one mic placed slightly above the drummers head.
Old 10-08-2001, 05:46 AM

RedArrow- I would definitely check out the shure kit w/ the three 57's and beta 52. I researched forever and this kit rocks. Yes, I would like to have four Senheiser 421's for the toms, but this would run $1,200 bucks!! The 52 sounds great on the bass drum and the 57's are so versatile on everything. I actually got mine from american musical supply, and they let you pay in 3 installments, thats about $155 a month for thirty days. They have a web site, so check it out. If worst comes to worse, make sure you start out with a great kick drum mic, cause lets face it, if your kick drums sucks, so does the rest of you mix. Good luck and happy recording. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2001, 06:57 AM

I have one of the Cad drum mic kit. I needed a mic kit fast when I double booked my sound company and ran short on mics for two kits. It was all a local store had. I got the kit with the overhead condensors (5 mics). It's an OK set of mics for what I paid ($199 with a discount). I still pull them out for rentals every so often.

I'd sell them if I could get $100 for the set. That's $20 bucks a mic.

Don Goguen

Folk Cafe Productions