Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2008, 02:41 AM

Default Sync movie to audio and MIDI

Hi

I am looking for solutions for this.

Say I have video imported to PT HD, and there are A B and C sections. I worked on the music for the B section and the timing etc is perfect. However, when I change the tempo before B section (say section A), the MIDI and Audio in the B section all moved/changed. How can I keep the MIDI and Audio of the B section intact and still be able to change the tempo/time signature of A section?

Thank in advance

cpp
Old 04-02-2008, 03:24 AM
Quiet Art Ltd.

Default Re: Sync movie to audio and MIDI

Just put a tempo marker at the start of the B section.

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 04-02-2008, 04:17 AM

If the tempo of section A changed, the sync point of section B will also changed, so the picture won't match the music on section B. By switch all audio tracks to Click - time based will move all audio tracks and MIDI tracks to the same place, but still not sync with the movie if there any tempo changes before B section.

cpp
Old 09-30-2008, 04:11 AM

Can anyone share the experience of working with films in Pro Tools? In particular dealing with tempo changes in different locations (time), in different orders (change part A then C and B etc) and that effects different parts (MIDI, Audio etc).

Cheers

cpp
Old 09-30-2008, 11:07 AM
Avid

There would be a lot to go over for that as there are too many possible scenarios that would need to be covered. Specific examples of what you're trying to do may be easier to tackle one by one...

What you'll want to keep in mind are that tick based tracks move with tempo, sample based ones do not. You want to lock SMPTE position for any regions you don't want to change position when you do tempo changes earlier or later in the timeline.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:23 AM

Like the example above. I first label (marker) key points of the video, say A B C D in order. I start to work on A part so I can set whatever tempo and different tracks (MIDI, audio etc). I then working on C point with new tempo etc. So far so good. Now I am working on B point, I need to change/set tempo, I noticed that all parts(MIDI, audio etc) moved to different positions for C point. If there is any tempo changing (slow down etc) in C then there are more problems. If I edit the tempo of A point then all BCD points are in chaos.

Any ideas to solve this problem?
Old 10-01-2008, 12:21 PM

Is there music all the way through the entire film non stop? if not, why not cut up the film to the cues keeping the smpte time and work on each cue separately.

In addition, what the others said. Make the tracks tick based if you want them all to keep their position relative to each other when you change tempos. Make them sample based if you want them to maintain position according to time code and not change when you put in tempo changes.