Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Additional Resources


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #41  
Old 05-04-2017, 03:34 PM
mjslakeridge's Avatar
mjslakeridge mjslakeridge is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 776
Default Re: Where Have All the Melodies Gone?

I am more of a classic rock/southern rock guy. I only like the Rush songs that were more mainstream and got some radio play. According to Geddy Lee in a YouTube video i saw yesterday, Rush is a Hard Rock band, who just got off track from time to time (or something similar to that).

But with services like Spotify and Tidido around, I guess it never hurts to take a few minutes and listen to other stuff.
__________________
"It's great to be here...It's great to be anywhere" - Keith Richards

Pro Tools LE 7.4cs10, Windows XP Home SP3, AMD Phenom II 1045T Processor, Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 05-04-2017, 04:24 PM
guitardom guitardom is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 6,489
Default Re: Where Have All the Melodies Gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Can't stand Dream Theater. Their music doesn't do anything for me. Not to mention they were stupid for letting Portnoy go - he was the best thing they ever had.
Portnoy left, they did not let him go. A7X told Portnoy he was only a temporary replacement, but he thought otherwise and quit DT since they did not want to wait 1 1/2 -2 years for him to record an album and tour with A7X. When A7X let him go, they had already had Mangini in the band and working on the next album.

Dream Theater has survived without Portnoy and recorded 1 album inparticular that is one of the best albums they had recorded in many years. It is Petrucci that they could never survive without. The man is a monster on guitar and is the core of their sound. Nobody sounds or writes like him. That said, I would prefer Portnoy back in the band. He has been doing some great projects though. The Flying Colors albums (Steve Morse, Dave LaRue, Neal Morse) are ridiculously good. (That is a modern example of amazing melodies reminiscent of old beatles.)

And as I stated, I think Scenes is the best album of the last 20 years and the most important metal band to come out from the 90's outside of Pantera, if that tells you how I feel about them. They defined progressive in metal. I saw them something like 7 times in a 10 year span...

Your statement about Metallica being the only of the big 4 to have any "melody" makes me take your opinion of metal a bit lightly though. Anthrax, the only 1 of the big 4 that has an actual singer that took crap through the 80's and 90's for actual singing and melodies, and in the 90's with John Bush, even more so. Their new album is an absolute gem, arguably their best ever, and far more listenable than anything Metallica is doing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKh2Hb7mcU0
Anthrax was the first live band I ever saw in 1987 as a kid, if that tells you how long I have been seriously into this type of metal
__________________

pro-tools-pc.com


TRASHER Pro Tools Utility

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 2pre, UA Twin TB.

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 05-04-2017, 04:34 PM
guitardom guitardom is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 6,489
Default Re: Where Have All the Melodies Gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
I am more of a classic rock/southern rock guy. I only like the Rush songs that were more mainstream and got some radio play. According to Geddy Lee in a YouTube video i saw yesterday, Rush is a Hard Rock band, who just got off track from time to time (or something similar to that).

But with services like Spotify and Tidido around, I guess it never hurts to take a few minutes and listen to other stuff.
Gotcha, ignore my recommendation then
__________________

pro-tools-pc.com


TRASHER Pro Tools Utility

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 2pre, UA Twin TB.

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 05-04-2017, 04:50 PM
mjslakeridge's Avatar
mjslakeridge mjslakeridge is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 776
Default Re: Where Have All the Melodies Gone?

If I can find them on Spotify or Tidido tomorrow, I may give them a listen just for musicianship and production quality.

I guess one of the reasons I never got into Prog Rock, even back in the day with bands like Yes, was that I couldn't play the unusual time signatures. On drums I can only play 4/4 and 6/8, so even on a 3/4 song I have to play 6/8 on the hi-hat to keep time.

If anyone is interested, I stumbled across Alex Zivojinovich's (Lifeson's) film debut in an old film. It is absolutely horrible, but shows a young Alex rooming with some other teenagers in a Canadian farmhouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVtVsiebT98&t=2s
__________________
"It's great to be here...It's great to be anywhere" - Keith Richards

Pro Tools LE 7.4cs10, Windows XP Home SP3, AMD Phenom II 1045T Processor, Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.

Last edited by mjslakeridge; 05-04-2017 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Added a link
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 05-04-2017, 06:05 PM
musicman691 musicman691 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 12,837
Default Re: Where Have All the Melodies Gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
Portnoy left, they did not let him go. A7X told Portnoy he was only a temporary replacement, but he thought otherwise and quit DT since they did not want to wait 1 1/2 -2 years for him to record an album and tour with A7X. When A7X let him go, they had already had Mangini in the band and working on the next album.

Dream Theater has survived without Portnoy and recorded 1 album in particular that is one of the best albums they had recorded in many years. It is Petrucci that they could never survive without. The man is a monster on guitar and is the core of their sound. Nobody sounds or writes like him. That said, I would prefer Portnoy back in the band. He has been doing some great projects though. The Flying Colors albums (Steve Morse, Dave LaRue, Neal Morse) are ridiculously good. (That is a modern example of amazing melodies reminiscent of old beatles.)

And as I stated, I think Scenes is the best album of the last 20 years and the most important metal band to come out from the 90's outside of Pantera, if that tells you how I feel about them. They defined progressive in metal. I saw them something like 7 times in a 10 year span...

Your statement about Metallica being the only of the big 4 to have any "melody" makes me take your opinion of metal a bit lightly though. Anthrax, the only 1 of the big 4 that has an actual singer that took crap through the 80's and 90's for actual singing and melodies, and in the 90's with John Bush, even more so. Their new album is an absolute gem, arguably their best ever, and far more listenable than anything Metallica is doing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKh2Hb7mcU0
Anthrax was the first live band I ever saw in 1987 as a kid, if that tells you how long I have been seriously into this type of metal
The deal with Portnoy depends on who you listen to. According to him in one of my drum magazines a few months back DT fired him. So who knows. Dave Lombardo is another drummer who got the shaft from his band because he dared to ask for his proper share of publishing rights. Keeping a good drummer ain't easy. Anthrax - more of a Joey Belladonna fan.

Petrucci - to me the only thing he has going for him is he plays a 7 string axe. His playing style to me is more self-absorbed wanking and far from melodic. I do agree though that he's a major part of DT and without him they are not much of anything.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 05-18-2017, 05:34 AM
mjslakeridge's Avatar
mjslakeridge mjslakeridge is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 776
Default Re: Where Have All the Melodies Gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I have the dvd for Beyond The Lighted Stage - good stuff. Bought it after I saw it on TV.

Quite familiar with what's going on with The Professor's trials - massive shoulder problems. Considering how his kit is set up and how hard he hits this isn't surprising. I have one of his instructional dvd's where it shows him putting the kick pedal beater through the batter head and the camera pans up to his face and he just smiles.

Alex and Geddy are real nice guys that like to meet the public and not just with meet & greets at concerts. Neil doesn't do that for personal reasons a lot of which happened after he lost his wife and one daughter fairly close together. It's interesting that when they're finally done for the night after the last encore Neil runs off stage like at a track meet. And that's what made it all the more poignant at the last concert they gave that he actually came out from behind the kit and did the bow to the audience with Alex & Geddy. There was talk of Taylor Hawkins taking over Neil's place in Rush - he's a good drummer but nowheres in the class of Mr. Peart.

Read a story the other day where Neil said his daughter introduces her dad as a retired drummer and he agreed that that's him.
Hey Jack:

(Still off topic), but I ordered a couple of Rush DVD's from Netflix. One is called Rush R30, which is a concert recorded in Frankfurt, Germany as part of their 30th anniversary tour, and it is pretty good. The other one is Rush in Rio, which I haven't watched yet. Since you are a Rush fan, perhaps you are already aware of these 2 DVDs.
__________________
"It's great to be here...It's great to be anywhere" - Keith Richards

Pro Tools LE 7.4cs10, Windows XP Home SP3, AMD Phenom II 1045T Processor, Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 05-18-2017, 08:13 AM
musicman691 musicman691 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 12,837
Default Re: Where Have All the Melodies Gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
Hey Jack:

(Still off topic), but I ordered a couple of Rush DVD's from Netflix. One is called Rush R30, which is a concert recorded in Frankfurt, Germany as part of their 30th anniversary tour, and it is pretty good. The other one is Rush in Rio, which I haven't watched yet. Since you are a Rush fan, perhaps you are already aware of these 2 DVDs.
Have R30 but not Rush in Rio yet - I am aware of it it's just not in my library.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 05-18-2017, 11:59 PM
guitardom guitardom is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 6,489
Default Re: Where Have All the Melodies Gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
The deal with Portnoy depends on who you listen to. According to him in one of my drum magazines a few months back DT fired him. So who knows. Dave Lombardo is another drummer who got the shaft from his band because he dared to ask for his proper share of publishing rights. Keeping a good drummer ain't easy. Anthrax - more of a Joey Belladonna fan.

Petrucci - to me the only thing he has going for him is he plays a 7 string axe. His playing style to me is more self-absorbed wanking and far from melodic. I do agree though that he's a major part of DT and without him they are not much of anything.
The new Anthrax (what I posted) IS with Joey. I think Joey sounds better than ever. The more I listen to it, the more I think it is the best album they have ever done or maybe just behind Persistence. I have been traveling a lot lately and started listening to it again and can not stop. It is absolutely solid from beginning to end. It crushes anything Metallica have done in 20 years.

To me, Petrucci is the most important guitarist of the last 25+ years outside of maybe Dimebag. He completely created the prog metal genre and changed the face guitar playing in general for metal. They made prog acceptable in the world of metal beyond Master of Puppets and Justice. That has transformed into a lot of newer bands incorporating odd times signatures, complex rhythmic patterns and thinking outside the box. Almost any young guitarist in the last 15 years states him as a major influence. You can say you don't care for DT, that's understandable, its not for everyone. But to say he is a wanker, is just not liking them and/or it's not "doing it" for you, or just picking through a couple of his crazy solo's and making judgements. Like I said, sit down with Scenes from a Memory and give it a legit listen. It was life changing for me and I had already been heavily into them for a few years at this point! Easily one of the best prog/concept albums ever. Here is one of the instrumentals off it. I dont expect everyone to like it, but you cannot say its wanking and its pretty typical Petrucci. Here is my favorite track off the album. Ignore those tasty riffs and call it wanking, I dare ya!!! And yes, I own a 98 Ibanez JPM P4 model and a MM JP13 7 string, a Mesa Boogie Mark V (and formerly a couple different Recs and a Road King which he used on Train of Thought). I was a bit into them..... There is 9-10 albums from the Portnoy era. You would have to do some serious listening to somehow pigeonhole him.

And as an obviously huge DT fan, I have never seen Mike say anywhere that he was fired. Very simply, he wanted them to take a break to work on other projects and the band did not want to take a break. So he decided to quit and leave. The band and Mike both have had matching stories since day 1.

Lombardo, I have not listened to anything new from Slayer since Undisputed attitude was released, I ran to buy it the day it released and it was absolutely TERRIBLE. Slayer fans were not expected an album of punk covers. Not like we had the internet then to know!! I absolutely loved them up till this point. Fortunately, Sepultura had just released Roots, and I was obsessed with that album. I was venturing into Dream Theater at the same time. I left Slayer behind literally the day Undisputed was released! Saw them live a couple times afterward, but never bought another album.

I am not sure what happened during their recent squable (Lombardo and Slayer). I do know that when he left originally after Seasons in the Abyss, and Paul was first brought in for Divine Intervention, it was because he wanted to be with his wife during the birth of their first child. I know one of his cousins well and we used to play some together. Other than his significance of what he did and how early he was doing it, I never found him great at keeping a steady tempo, some of the old Slayer stuff was annoying in that regard. I did like the first 2 Grip inc. albums, they were a step up in his ability, and the Fantomos project with Mike Patton was fun. Of course I like about anything Patton does.....
__________________

pro-tools-pc.com


TRASHER Pro Tools Utility

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 2pre, UA Twin TB.

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 05-19-2017, 04:29 AM
musicman691 musicman691 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 12,837
Default Re: Where Have All the Melodies Gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
The new Anthrax (what I posted) IS with Joey. I think Joey sounds better than ever. The more I listen to it, the more I think it is the best album they have ever done or maybe just behind Persistence. I have been traveling a lot lately and started listening to it again and can not stop. It is absolutely solid from beginning to end. It crushes anything Metallica have done in 20 years.

To me, Petrucci is the most important guitarist of the last 25+ years outside of maybe Dimebag. He completely created the prog metal genre and changed the face guitar playing in general for metal. They made prog acceptable in the world of metal beyond Master of Puppets and Justice. That has transformed into a lot of newer bands incorporating odd times signatures, complex rhythmic patterns and thinking outside the box. Almost any young guitarist in the last 15 years states him as a major influence. You can say you don't care for DT, that's understandable, its not for everyone. But to say he is a wanker, is just not liking them and/or it's not "doing it" for you, or just picking through a couple of his crazy solo's and making judgements. Like I said, sit down with Scenes from a Memory and give it a legit listen. It was life changing for me and I had already been heavily into them for a few years at this point! Easily one of the best prog/concept albums ever. Here is one of the instrumentals off it. I dont expect everyone to like it, but you cannot say its wanking and its pretty typical Petrucci. Here is my favorite track off the album. Ignore those tasty riffs and call it wanking, I dare ya!!! And yes, I own a 98 Ibanez JPM P4 model and a MM JP13 7 string, a Mesa Boogie Mark V (and formerly a couple different Recs and a Road King which he used on Train of Thought). I was a bit into them..... There is 9-10 albums from the Portnoy era. You would have to do some serious listening to somehow pigeonhole him.

And as an obviously huge DT fan, I have never seen Mike say anywhere that he was fired. Very simply, he wanted them to take a break to work on other projects and the band did not want to take a break. So he decided to quit and leave. The band and Mike both have had matching stories since day 1.

Lombardo, I have not listened to anything new from Slayer since Undisputed attitude was released, I ran to buy it the day it released and it was absolutely TERRIBLE. Slayer fans were not expected an album of punk covers. Not like we had the internet then to know!! I absolutely loved them up till this point. Fortunately, Sepultura had just released Roots, and I was obsessed with that album. I was venturing into Dream Theater at the same time. I left Slayer behind literally the day Undisputed was released! Saw them live a couple times afterward, but never bought another album.

I am not sure what happened during their recent squable (Lombardo and Slayer). I do know that when he left originally after Seasons in the Abyss, and Paul was first brought in for Divine Intervention, it was because he wanted to be with his wife during the birth of their first child. I know one of his cousins well and we used to play some together. Other than his significance of what he did and how early he was doing it, I never found him great at keeping a steady tempo, some of the old Slayer stuff was annoying in that regard. I did like the first 2 Grip inc. albums, they were a step up in his ability, and the Fantomos project with Mike Patton was fun. Of course I like about anything Patton does.....
I know the album you referenced is Joey; I was just referring back to your John Bush thoughts. My bad for not making that clearer.

MP wanted to come back to DT after A7X but was told no by DT's lawyer because they already had Mangini. I'm thinking (reading the tea leaves) that there must be something else going on between DT and Portnoy than what is publicly being said.

Gave a listen to 1928 and while the production is great I find Petrucci's playing a bit too much like Steve Vai who is another guitarist I'm not a fan of. Ditto for Home - Portnoy was killer though. If memory serves wasn't Petrucci and Vai a part of one of the G3 incarnations? That was one of those things that IMHO were okay and I wouldn't turn them off if they were on the radio but I also wouldn't go looking for them either.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 05-20-2017, 07:29 AM
mjslakeridge's Avatar
mjslakeridge mjslakeridge is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 776
Default Re: Where Have All the Melodies Gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Have R30 but not Rush in Rio yet - I am aware of it it's just not in my library.
I just watched Rush in Rio. (Well part of it last night and the rest this morning as it is almost 3 hours long). Per the credits it was filmed during the Vapor Trails tour, copyright 2003. To me, it had too much of a live feel, maybe too much of the audience mics mixed in, which made it harder to hear the instruments clearly. I watched it on my computer with some little JBL Pro speakers, probably would have been worse if I listened using my full size sound system.

Good show, the audience was fired up throughout.
__________________
"It's great to be here...It's great to be anywhere" - Keith Richards

Pro Tools LE 7.4cs10, Windows XP Home SP3, AMD Phenom II 1045T Processor, Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
plug ins with a syth melodies that keep playing czarthp Virtual Instruments 0 08-28-2008 01:43 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:55 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com