Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2019, 11:43 AM

Default Re: How do you backup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
That's still leaving yourself open to the loss of up to a week's worth of data if there were a fire. How about a cloud backup?
I think you misread, I have the original recording drive, that is backed up to two internal drives, and one external drive nightly, leaving me 4 copies of my sessions physically connected all the time to the computer. The drive I backup once a week is only ever connected to either the computer or electricity when it’s being used to backup that way I never have to worry about lightning strikes or surges.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:59 PM

Cloud based backup! Doesn't matter how many local drives you have hooked up, not hooked up, etc. If your house burns down, or if you're robbed and they get all the disks....

I keep an offsite backup that I update once every week or two, but if you really want piece of mind, you need a cloud based backup. There are a bunch, Carbonite, Backblaze...
Old 01-19-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoolsLover View Post
I think you misread, I have the original recording drive, that is backed up to two internal drives, and one external drive nightly, leaving me 4 copies of my sessions physically connected all the time to the computer. The drive I backup once a week is only ever connected to either the computer or electricity when it’s being used to backup that way I never have to worry about lightning strikes or surges.
TWO internal backup drives? Both holding the same material? Internal drives are by definition always powered on and aren't really a good backstop. Your only safe backup is that external drive.

I run three external drives which I backup to on a weekly basis. One for OSX, one for sessions and one for samples. The external samples backup drive is also where I keep onhand all program installers so if needs be I can do a reinstall without having to scour the net and hopefully find the version I need. That is the one thing I never see people talk about when backing up and that's to save off to an external drive the program installers. Saved my bacon more than once

QAPLA!
Old 01-19-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
TWO internal backup drives? Both holding the same material? Internal drives are by definition always powered on and aren't really a good backstop. Your only safe backup is that external drive.

I run three external drives which I backup to on a weekly basis. One for OSX, one for sessions and one for samples. The external samples backup drive is also where I keep onhand all program installers so if needs be I can do a reinstall without having to scour the net and hopefully find the version I need. That is the one thing I never see people talk about when backing up and that's to save off to an external drive the program installers. Saved my bacon more than once
Internal are no different than external as far as safe backups. All are prone to lightening strikes and electrical surges. Internal drives last much longer than external drives.

I have 4 internal drives in my MacPro. One System, one Sample, and two that backup Audio/Video/Installer Giles “ONLY”.

My system drive and other non Audiu/Video are backed up to a second external drive. My points here are for Audio/Video backups only.

As far as cloud, I have 3TB of Audio/Video data, it’s impractical. It takes forever to upload and the only viable way to get it all back in a timely manner is for them to to put it in a hard drive, which they charge me for, and mail it to me. Been there, tried that, moved past it.

All of my everyday non Audio/Video files are backed up to Google Drive, but not my audio and video files.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Internal are no different than external as far as safe backups. All are prone to lightening strikes and electrical surges. Internal drives last much longer than external drives.

I have 4 internal drives in my MacPro. One System, one Sample, and two that backup Audio/Video/Installer Giles “ONLY”.

My system drive and other non Audiu/Video are backed up to a second external drive. My points here are for Audio/Video backups only.

As far as cloud, I have 3TB of Audio/Video data, it’s impractical. It takes forever to upload and the only viable way to get it all back in a timely manner is for them to to put it in a hard drive, which they charge me for, and mail it to me. Been there, tried that, moved past it.

All of my everyday non Audio/Video files are backed up to Google Drive, but not my audio and video files.
You're missing the point. Any drive that's powered up all the time is never a safe backup. What I was also getting at is that external drive you backup to is the only safe backup for the simple fact it's not powered up and connected all the time. Made no mention of longevity. As far as life expectancy of internal versus external do remember that a lot of external drives are the same mechanism as an internal. My two external drives for samples and sessions are a pair of WD blacks in an OWC desktop enclosure connected via FW800. Only connected & powered up when I backup. That's the only time it's vulnerable.

QAPLA!
Old 01-19-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
You're missing the point. Any drive that's powered up all the time is never a safe backup. What I was also getting at is that external drive you backup to is the only safe backup for the simple fact it's not powered up and connected all the time. Made no mention of longevity. As far as life expectancy of internal versus external do remember that a lot of external drives are the same mechanism as an internal. My two external drives for samples and sessions are a pair of WD blacks in an OWC desktop enclosure connected via FW800. Only connected & powered up when I backup. That's the only time it's vulnerable.
We will just have to agree to disagree........been doing it this way for 15 years, never lost a file.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:29 AM

Quote:
We will just have to agree to disagree........been doing it this way for 15 years, never lost a file.
I could never work that way but hey if it's okay for you then have at it.
To me your way is whistling past the graveyard

QAPLA!