Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-21-2016, 10:36 AM

Default Touch Bar on new Mac Book Pros

Hi guys, Does anyone have any insight into the compatibility of the new Touch Bar feature offered in the new generation of Mac Book Pros? When Pro Tools is the focus, would we be able to use the Touch Bar in the way we currently can the physical function keys (for modes, tools, rec, wait for note and all that good stuff)? Is there an equivalent to "use F1, F2 etc. as standard function keys" in the OS keyboard system preferences when a Touch Bar is present? I'm in the dark as I haven't had the opportunity to get my hands on one of these yet, and certainly not with a PT install.
Whatever the situation this close to release I see great possibilities for the future, though...
Old 11-21-2016, 10:44 AM

Default Re: Touch Bar on new Mac Book Pros

I would be more worried that your PT version (whatever it is as you don't have and info on that) would work with Sierra.

QAPLA!
Old 11-21-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I would be more worried that your PT version (whatever it is as you don't have and info on that) would work with Sierra.
Thanks Jack - Yes, I didn't say (for the sake of brevity) - I'm assuming a version of PT which works with Sierra, formal compatibility statements aside. (I've had no problems with 12.5 so far, though I actually have a Mavericks system to hand in case I hit a poisoned Easter egg!)
Old 11-21-2016, 12:22 PM

Guess we'll just have to wait and see if PT will support the new touch bar and offer its own short cut keys.

In the meantime, check out this Apple Support Article on the touch bar. It seems that all the familiar function keys will be available and work the same.

System Details
Old 11-21-2016, 07:42 PM

Since it is possible to customize the touch bar, perhaps someone can build a scheme that will be ideal for Protools workflow in the short term. I know it may be limited to what is available in the builder for now but it may be useful s=for some. Hopefully future releases of Protools will take advantage of the touch bar feature.

Some ideas may include transport buttons, a scrub bar, arming buttons, switching from mix to edit screens, plugin parameter adjustments, virtual instrument parameter adjustments, auditioning virtual instruments, midi pitch wheel or mod wheel entry, pitch correction, guitar strumming entry, mini midi keyboard, drum pad zones, etc.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 11-22-2016, 04:55 AM

I have one usage that would be killer for the touch bar - the pitch bend ribbon on a CS80

QAPLA!
Old 11-22-2016, 02:15 PM

I have the touch bar 13" with PT 12.6 on Sierra.

Currently it doesn't do anything - just the usual system controls appear and you have to hold Fn in order to show the F1-F12 keys, which is one extra step.

You can configure it to have the F keys always on I believe, but I haven't bothered. It would be awesome though to show Shuffle/Slip/Spot/Grid etc on the top bar. Also being able to scroll through a session, scrub, use it as a MIDI sampler. Automation and plugin controls. Lots of potential here, but the question is will anyone bother to code it?
Old 11-23-2016, 07:16 AM

It would be great if Avid took up the challenge but we have seen some pretty innovative folks here that might want to give it a try. I can envision a library of tough bar schemes for different workflows (post, tracking, editing, video, mastering, sound design, etc.). It'll be great if there was a library for users to choose what they need.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 11-23-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
It would be great if Avid took up the challenge but we have seen some pretty innovative folks here that might want to give it a try. I can envision a library of tough bar schemes for different workflows (post, tracking, editing, video, mastering, sound design, etc.). It'll be great if there was a library for users to choose what they need.
The success of the TouchBar along these lines will depend on how difficult or open Apple is making development for it. I wonder if there's something in a UNIX developer's toolkit that would help?

QAPLA!
Old 12-06-2016, 09:40 AM

I own a 15" "TouchBar" MBP, and for now, I can have the standard fonction keys as usual (no use of the fn key modifier).
Go to pref/keyboard/Shortcuts/Fonction keys (translated from french) and add the apps you want to have the F1, F2...keys.