Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2004, 09:44 AM

Default after highschool on to a career

i am a 17 year old in highschool still. my plan for after i graduate is to try to eventualy work in a studio. i purchased a digi 002 rack 5 months ago and have fallen inlove with everything to do with recording. its awesome. my plan is to take pro tool classes at a community college in hopes to become pro tools certified and then try to get a job or appretnise at a studio. its a lot of being lucky try to into the business and skill. but if anyone has any advise to anything to say on the topic. i live in san diego and would idealy like to stay here. not having to try to apply for a trade school out in florida, new york, or arizona. san diego would be the best location. help would be appreciated cuz it is what i want to turn my life into. id like to be able to live off recording
Old 10-24-2004, 09:52 AM

Default Re: after highschool on to a career

Awesome, good luck with your plans! One thing I'd suggest is getting to know and record bands in your area. Seems like the trend is less of being a 'staff engineer' in a recording studio and more being a freelance engineer, where you drum up work for yourself through relationships with musicians.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:34 AM

Im 17 and ive been doing the Pro Tools thing for about 3 or 4 years now. the digi 002 is an awesome system to use. im currently enrolled in a class at my school where we get to use a HD|2 Accel system to learn on, and it has been very helpful. ive been recording local bands for a awhile now and its a great way to get your name out and create a sort of portfolio of your skills as an engeneer. good luck to you.

go left next time
Old 10-24-2004, 11:42 AM

Since it's become even more impossible to make a decent living in the music business.. I'd recommend you first get a back-up degree before you enter the music field. I'm not saying you can't make it.. but the odds are longer now than they've ever been.. and you should definately make sure you have a back-up plan.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 10-24-2004, 12:03 PM

I agree with rail. I would recommend getting a day job and recording in your spare time.
Old 10-24-2004, 02:00 PM

yep, not to burst the bubble guys, but don't put all your eggs in one basket. Keep your options open for sure. Goodluck
Old 10-24-2004, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Since it's become even more impossible to make a decent living in the music business.. I'd recommend you first get a back-up degree before you enter the music field. I'm not saying you can't make it.. but the odds are longer now than they've ever been.. and you should definately make sure you have a back-up plan.

Rail
It's even worse than that...it's soo bad everywhere that you need a master's degree in order to be able to rely on that back-up plan. I'm stuck in Louisiana!!! I can't imagine how hungry I'd be trying to pay rent in LA or NY. Everyone I know in Nashville has moved to Franklin and are working out of their home studios...eeking out a living with one foot in the music industry and the other foot somewhere else.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:01 AM

Default Re: after highschool-go to college

Hate being a killjoy but success in the sound biz isn't something that comes easily to anyone.
@ 17-talking about business like you have it down. Ever taken out a loan for production eq. Bank accounts-credit cards-a cash flow that's real? Didnt think so.
Learn-get certed on PTOOOLs. Go to college- learn-learn and learn some more. Have a solid foundation. it. Plan B if A doesn't go as you hoped.
School always puts your resume on the top of a stack of equally qualified people-that's how to get the job and life you want.

Continue to work on weekends. Keep your connections with musicians warm.
Only 17 year old who made it big? Kobe Bryant. Lived with his mom till he was 22.
It is critical mass today to know your why things work they way they do. Sound depends on it.

Good luck kiddo-learning is a life long gig.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:01 AM

We receive tons of rιsumι’s "almost daily" from schooled experienced engineers looking for work, these days I would not want to be one of them.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-09-2011, 04:18 PM

Default Re: after highschool-go to college

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsus9th View Post
Hate being a killjoy but success in the sound biz isn't something that comes easily to anyone.
@ 17-talking about business like you have it down. Ever taken out a loan for production eq. Bank accounts-credit cards-a cash flow that's real? Didnt think so.
Learn-get certed on PTOOOLs. Go to college- learn-learn and learn some more. Have a solid foundation. it. Plan B if A doesn't go as you hoped.
School always puts your resume on the top of a stack of equally qualified people-that's how to get the job and life you want.

Continue to work on weekends. Keep your connections with musicians warm.
Only 17 year old who made it big? Kobe Bryant. Lived with his mom till he was 22.
It is critical mass today to know your why things work they way they do. Sound depends on it.

Good luck kiddo-learning is a life long gig.
Just a quick FYI. The OP you're replying to posted this in 2004, 7 years ago.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit