Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 10-06-2020, 09:05 AM

Default Recording within playlist?

Is it possible to record within the playlists of a track?

Say you have the main track and 3 playlists within that track. Can you record on on one of those 3 sub tracks?
Old 10-07-2020, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Recording within playlist?

Yes, BUT....not directly. If you look view Playlists, notice that only the top Playlist has a Record button. Here are some of your options:
1-Switch to the playlist you wish to record to(because, the top playlist is the only one that records).
2-Record to whichever playlist is at the top, but then drag the new audio down and drop onto another playlist(holding the modifier key so the clip is locked in the timeline).
3-Create a new playlist(or duplicate the top one) and use it as a record-only playlist. Any time you record a clip you wish to keep, drag it to one of the other playlists(you can create several before you start recording, but it can get clumsy labelling and remembering what is what).

A little more to consider; I always name my tracks with .01(as in Kick In.01, Egtr.01, etc). By doing that, each time I add a new playlist, they will automatically get numbered(kick In .02, Kick In.03, etc) and that makes it easy to make sense of a bunch of Playlists. Of course, doing #2 above kinda throws that out the window. My preference then would be to create a new Playlist and call it Trackname_Comp or Trackname_Final, and then do punch in fixes on that playlist(and promote the best from the other Playlists. Food for thought. Sometimes you just gotta dive in and experiment to find what works best for you

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave

Last edited by albee1952; 10-09-2020 at 05:22 PM.