Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 09:17 PM

Default High Pitch Whine MacBook Pro/Mbox

I am experiencing a high pitch whine that seems to mimic the hardrive. I have a brand new MacBook Pro, Original MBox, ProTools 7.3.1, and am trying to use two brand new MXL 993 to mic an acoustic guitar. When I use just one of the mics I don't hear the whine. When I use two then I hear the whine in one mic and sometimes in both. I tried switching cords and inputs. Some times the whine changes from one channel to another and sometimes it is in both channels. It is driving me crazy.

Here is what I have tried so far.

1. Ground Looping - I tried many different power outlets in two different houses. Since I have a laptop I tried it with out it even being plugged in and I still get the whine.

2. I purchased a monster ultimate performance usb cable as suggested on the digidesign website and I still get the whine.

3. I tried many different xlr cables and I still get the whine.

I can't figure out if it is the Mics, my Mbox, my computer, my external hardrive, my cables....

Since the noise comes and goes I can't tell what it is. 98% of the time it is there though. I only had a few quick moments of when the whine went away.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated. I was thinking about getting some other interface like maybe mbox 2 or digi 002 but I am afraid that i will still get the whine. I have spent a lot of money so far and don't want to spend any more if I don't have too. Someone please help.

Thanks so much.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:29 PM

Default Re: High Pitch Whine MacBook Pro/Mbox

I experienced this problem for a long time with a powerbook G4 / original MBox and an old cheap ACOM Data firewire hard drive. The solution was to completely unplug and remove the hard drive. Even if the hard drive was turned off but still plugged in via firewire and power, it would make the noise, and the noise would only be intensified when turning on the drive. I've had no problems with any other firewire drives, so I'd try testing out some different drives.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:26 PM

My sympathy's as I have a similar problem. I have and EMac, MBox2 and a Firewire external hardrive. However, my high pitch whine starts the minute PT is launched and was there before I even got the hardrive. No one has been able to help me get rid of it. It does not effect recording but is extremely annoying. Any help out there would be appreciated. Frank
Old 07-20-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
My sympathy's as I have a similar problem. I have and EMac, MBox2 and a Firewire external hardrive. However, my high pitch whine starts the minute PT is launched and was there before I even got the hardrive. No one has been able to help me get rid of it. It does not effect recording but is extremely annoying. Any help out there would be appreciated. Frank
I have this IDENTICAL issue with my Mbox 2 on my Macbook Pro. As soon as Pro Tools starts the high pitched sound starts. I learned to live with it as it doesn't effect the recording. But, man, is it ANNOYING as hell! It does it with both of my Firewire drives and with none of them connected too.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:38 PM

I'm bumping this. It's driving me mad too!
Old 07-23-2007, 06:30 AM

digi?