Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2015, 02:48 PM

Default Issues importing stereo files from Cubase

Hi there - I have a subtle but unusual issue that I've googled about on and cannot for the life of me find a solution for, partly because it's hard to tell where the issue actually is.

I frequently want to export stereo files out of Cubase, and import them into Protools (stems for film synthmasters etc. etc.).

I've found that no matter what I do in Cubase, it creates a single file that when imported into protools appears as "2A Channels" in the audio pool, instead of "Stereo". If you drag that file onto a stereo channel, it's fine, but if you import it so it places them on new tracks (such that it auto names the tracks, which is what I want), it splits them into mono. Cubase sees them as stereo tracks.

What am I doing wrong, or is this just expected behavior? If I export stereo interleaved files from PT and import them back in, it imports them as stereo just fine...it's almost like it dislikes Cubase interleaving somehow, but I can't see any difference in the files (they are the same size!).

Thanks!

Stephen
Old 08-05-2015, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Issues importing stereo files from Cubase

(This is 10.3.9 by the way), on OS X 10.9.5
Old 08-05-2015, 03:20 PM

And to be precise, if you import the stereo and say new track, it says

2A Channels - if you open up the drop down in the clips pool they are marked .A1 and .A2 instead of L and R.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:52 PM

Create your PT session with the Interleaved option.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-05-2015, 05:49 PM

Yeah, I did that, that was the first thing I tried. No effect. Still imports as .A1 and .A2 instead of L.R. and if you have it import it to a new track it splits it into two monos.

(and creating lots of stereo tracks and naming them isn't really an option although that has been my workaround - have to name 90 or 100 of these things for each cue and it's currently adding hours of work per cue!)

I can upload an example of the audio file Cubase is creating if it's any help...
Old 08-05-2015, 05:57 PM

No matter!!! Just got an incredibly helpful PM.

It's a cubase issue. Cubase by default thinks it is exporting multichannel audio even when it's just printing a stereo bus, so what you have to do is select "L/R Channels" under Cubase export. Then it exports .l and .r instead of .a1 and .a2 interleaving.

Literally saved HOURS and HOURS and HOURS of work that. Hope it is useful to someone else - not PT's fault, but Cubase. One little tick box...typical.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlight View Post
No matter!!! Just got an incredibly helpful PM.

It's a cubase issue. Cubase by default thinks it is exporting multichannel audio even when it's just printing a stereo bus, so what you have to do is select "L/R Channels" under Cubase export. Then it exports .l and .r instead of .a1 and .a2 interleaving.
So what if you want to export multitrack from Cubase but those tracks are Stereo. Is there a workaround for this?