Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2006, 11:33 AM

Default Re: making abum with M box

*bump*
Old 03-14-2006, 12:14 PM

I'm almost 100% positive they used other pre's. A place to start would be like the OctoPre LE. But I am by no means qualified to give advice on pres. You really need to test some out because it all depends on the sound you're going for.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:26 PM

I'm sorry but I had to reply again after re-reading the others replys,...you don't HAVE to buy an external device, work with and learn how to use the software that came equiped with your M box. Buying something new is not always the answer, you have some powerful tools at your hands right now.
All I used for the movie soundtrack other than what originally came was; LIVE 5, Reason 3.0 and Garageband 2.2 and the soundtrack covers: Techno, R & B, Heavy metal, and Gospel.

In short master what you havem before you start spending extra cash... just my humble opion.

[email protected]

Old 03-16-2006, 10:49 AM

I am not a pro engineer but a performing musician, and I finished tracking and mixing an album last fall with my Mbox 1, a set of sony headphones, a handful of mics, including a rode NTK, and a tiny cheap Behringer mixer to feed a stereo mix to the mbox. The overall concept was loose and raw, very few overdubs and little fx, we used the ambiance of the room as much as possible, and I never used more than 4 mics at once, even for a five piece ensemble.

http://www.myspace.com/fromcosmostochaos

All of the tunes, with the exception of "metermix," are from the album (although drums on that tune were done with the Mbox, with some help from zigaboo, art and george). Songs were mastered with T-Racks. Is the record going to go platinum? No, but it is on the radio and sounds comparable to other indie records in its class. I think the results could have been better, but the mbox worked for what I was going for. I could have spent 2 or 3k (on the low end) hiring a pro studio, or spend 2 or 3k to get the gear to make the record. I still have the gear, and only spent about 3k (not counting the MAC) on the whole deal, including the mbox and tube mic, mastering, duplication, graphics and packaging, paying the musicians, and pizza and beer. The limitations of the mbox are clear (eg 2 tracks), but the pre's sound fine to me. Having a good sounding room to track in was key...

FWIW, I am now using Cubase LE with a Presonus Firepod right now, and tho' the software seems limited, the pre's DO sound better than the Mbox, and there are 6 more to work with. Not convinced that all those pres are helping my creativity, tho!