Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2011, 01:38 PM

Default Re: OSX 10.7 Lion + PT9

Ugh!
Don't know what to believe.

Just got an Lion MBP in for a client... put that sucker in Target Disk Mode, connected it to an older MBP running SL, and used CCC to clone the old to the new.

Started it up and all seems well....

I would THINK, based on my experience, that downgrading to SL wouldn't be a big problem... at least for the short term... but also based on my experience, it won't be long before this won't be possible.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:43 PM

The latest EFI update for the iMac 12,2 is dated May 2011. That is pre-Lion so this should not be an issue.

Sample variation among Apple "Geniuses" varies greatly; changing iPhone batteries is not rocket science.

@DJKeys, if you do get your hands on the restore discs, make sure they are the right version.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Um... lol.

Why does someone have to be a millionaire to not spend money on a brand new (and most likely buggy) OS?

The workaround is to NOT F*****G INSTALL LION IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO!

Why is it that hard to comprehend?

If you want your gear to work... use what works.

I'm probably not going to install Lion until there comes a Pro Tools update/upgrade that requires Lion. Same as I did with PT9 and Snow Leopard.
Exactly. Thank you. Everybody has such a boner over upgrading to a new OS just for the sake of upgrading, and playing with all the "great new features." If PT is the main purpose on your Mac, why are you even thinking about Lion right now? Screw Lion in the ear. Forget about it and upgrade when you have to. All.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:53 PM

I think I am just going to wait. I am redoing my entire old system from 10 years ago (G4, DP, MOTU 2408) and just picked the wrong time to move to PT.
16GB RAM
OSX 10.14.5
PT 2019.10 (last one)
Waves Gold/RenMaxx v11
iZotope Ozone 8
Focusrite Clarett 8Pre

Nord Stage 3
Nord Lead A1
DSI Mopho X4
Old 08-03-2011, 06:20 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpete111 View Post
Exactly. Thank you. Everybody has such a boner over upgrading to a new OS just for the sake of upgrading, and playing with all the "great new features." If PT is the main purpose on your Mac, why are you even thinking about Lion right now? Screw Lion in the ear. Forget about it and upgrade when you have to. All.
On that note - I'm curious which features people are considering a 'must have', as I've read through all of them and have been testing Lion for awhile now and I'm not seeing any (personally) that are critical, especially for audio work...
Old 08-03-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
On that note - I'm curious which features people are considering a 'must have', as I've read through all of them and have been testing Lion for awhile now and I'm not seeing any (personally) that are critical, especially for audio work...
I'm inclined to agree (speaking for myself). The new Mail.app is nice, but that doesn't really belong on an audio system.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
I'm curious which features people are considering a 'must have', as I've read through all of them and have been testing Lion for awhile now and I'm not seeing any (personally) that are critical, especially for audio work...
For general use on a portable, the only thing I find appealing is FileVault 2. Any idea if Pro Tools will ever play nicely with FileVault 2?

Nothing for audio work. Absolutely nothing.

Reason 5/Record 1.5 is working fine on Lion, though, as are my MOTU FireWire drivers. That is encouraging as it hopefully means that Apple did not REALLY break anything with this update.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
I agree. I just wish I had purchased a machine three weeks ago. I just want to move to ProTools and now I cannot. Bummer.
16GB RAM
OSX 10.14.5
PT 2019.10 (last one)
Waves Gold/RenMaxx v11
iZotope Ozone 8
Focusrite Clarett 8Pre

Nord Stage 3
Nord Lead A1
DSI Mopho X4
Old 08-03-2011, 08:17 AM

The technical instructions I posted earlier (at the bottom) are direct from Apple. However the apple email address has been removed.

Meaning the terminal instructions, which are not for the novice and pay close attention to spaces: Control D, to quit. Python installation 2.7 appears to be problematic in Lion. Downgrading to Python 2.6 will this fix your problem with other apps? Don't know. It will with Reaper 3.7.7

There is also a bit of an implication re; Perl. So again, here we all suffer once again with consumer bloat. Just as .NET 4 was wrecking havoc in W-7.

Gobbler beta requires SL. But who is going online in Admin mode?

If you can dual boot, option key, create a non-privileged user for your Gobbler account or Skype account and with your external or internal audio drives tell each to 'ignore ownership'. As long as your sessions are also backed up within the folder on the audio drives (with the audio folder, etc) you should be safe(r) (but turn firewalls on)...then go online and in Safari 5 turn off Java.

I would install Skype and Gobbler to an unprivileged account. Not your Pro Tools admin account.

Also, it is possible to dismount any internal drives by dragging their icons to the trash, if you are worried about audio drives, going online to surf, bank, whatever, if you are using the same workstation for convenience reasons. Open disk utilities in the utility folder and remount them as needed without rebooting (just log out and back in to work in Pro Tools again).

Java update in Lion may be the only reason to update (as this security flaw hadn't been addressed in Leopard or SL to my knowledge)... if running Mac OS. Meaning the tabbed browser hack i.e. an authentic site replaced with a cloned phishing site in tabbed browsing. That hack requires Java.

A lot of you have become admins by default as Pro Tools gurus, so consider the advice from Security Experts (!) and turn Java off on L or SL in Safari 5 or buy a Cisco router and block Java.

edit: perhaps with new Lion firmware, hardware DEP w/ bootcamp is now enabled running W-7 x64. Don't quote me... there has been a lot of griping regarding this, so it wouldn't surprise me.

ClamXav: you can set its sentry to auto scan your download folder. But please donate, as this is shareware, although it comes pre-installed on Apple servers! The contextual menu app for ClamXav is particularly useful. Select, R-click, go to other: scan with ClamXav

Last edited by aka21stCentury; 08-03-2011 at 02:32 PM. Reason: hardware DEP in new firmware?
Old 08-03-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
+1 I see absolutely nothing in Lion worth risking stability over. Snow Leopard made sense to make the jump to early because Leopard was full of problems, even at 10.5.7... but right now I don't know of anyone having any real problems with SL, other than the macprotector debacle.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?