Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-26-2019, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2019 + Catalina

Luckily if you are not buying a new mac anytime soon and are running Mojave, there is no reason up update to Catalina. The folks that will get screwed are those that go out and get a new Mac Pro later this year. They will not be able to run Mojave and who knows when Avid will get compatibility. My guess is middle of next year, but who knows. Avid is excited about the new Mac Pro because it supports PCIe. So maybe Avid will hurry up this time and get compatibility before the year is over. One can hope.

https://soundcloud.com/jason-kalman
Old 11-26-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkalman View Post
The folks that will get screwed are those that go out and get a new Mac Pro later this year. They will not be able to run Mojave and who knows when Avid will get compatibility.
Can confirm. After waiting a year for the 16” Macbook to be released I splurged and bought it last week as my ‘09 iMac can barely run Pro Tools these days.

After pulling my hair out for a few days wondering why the install file kept corrupting I came across this thread. I’m gobsmacked. I essentially have a $5000 brick sitting in my room. Even better I was just made redundant yesterday so the one time I have free time in my life to make music I can’t even do that.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:57 PM

It usually pays off googling "avid compatibility" every now and then, especially when making purchase decisions. We all know new Apple hardware will not run old Apple OS and can guess it takes X months for Avid to support the now-current Apple OS, so... just sayin' could have waited until next year with the purchase or just accept the fact that need to wait some time for PT support. Just the way it has been for decades, nothing new here
Old 11-26-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Just the way it has been for decades, nothing new here
So if you had a say in it we'd still have slavery and women wouldn't be allowed to vote.

Yes, people could educate themselves more thoroughly before they make a purchase. Because things are as they are, not because things are how they're supposed to be.
Not everybody is savvy in that regard, nor should they need to be. If they want to use Pro Tools they shouldn't have to consult heaven and hell to make sure it's going to run when they are buying a state of the art new computer.
There is no reason to excuse Avid for not being able to keep up with the pace. Why would anyone defend that? I mean except you, but your head is so deep inside that company, your breath probably smells like their gut bacteria.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 11-26-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
So if you had a say in it we'd still have slavery and women wouldn't be allowed to vote.
This was of course sarcasm, but still I must note that I come from Finland where women have voted since 1906 -- 1st in europe and 3rd in the world (only new zealand and australia granted it earlier). This society is so equal you cannot believe it until you see it. Wives can even sue their husbands for raping in marriage, which sounds so wrong. The feminists rule so you need to have it in writing that you both agree to have sex to make sure you are not being sued later. Very finnish problems I would say.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:22 PM

They must be reasonably close to having Catalina support, as they were demonstrating the capabilities of ProTools on the new, soon to be released, MacPro just recently.
I'd be fairly certain that thing will ship with Catalina, as per the latest MacBook Pro 16".
So, it begs the question.... when??
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 11-26-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
It usually pays off googling "avid compatibility" every now and then, especially when making purchase decisions. We all know new Apple hardware will not run old Apple OS and can guess it takes X months for Avid to support the now-current Apple OS, so... just sayin' could have waited until next year with the purchase or just accept the fact that need to wait some time for PT support. Just the way it has been for decades, nothing new here
Sorry, I guess it’s my fault for expecting the software I paid $1000AUD for to work.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:48 PM

Default Pro Tools 2019 + Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyno85 View Post
Sorry, I guess it’s my fault for expecting the software I paid $1000AUD for to work.

Really don’t want to sound like a d1ck, because it is frustrating, but unfortunately in this instance, it is your fault. Compatibility info for Pro Tools currently states not supported under Catalina. It’s not like AVID have said it is compatible and it’s not working.

The version you bought worked with your setup at the time. Your option was to wait for compatibility and then buy the new MBP, or buy it knowing that at some point in the future, PT will be compatible and you can then use it.

I’m not trying to defend AVID here as I have a lot of criticisms with the software and how the company is being run, but they’re not the only ones that weren’t ready out of the gate and they’re typically quite slow with OS compatibility updates in general.

Fingers crossed the wait won’t be too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2019, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post

Yes, people could educate themselves more thoroughly before they make a purchase. Because things are as they are, not because things are how they're supposed to be.
Not everybody is savvy in that regard, nor should they need to be. If they want to use Pro Tools they shouldn't have to consult heaven and hell to make sure it's going to run when they are buying a state of the art new computer.
There is no reason to excuse Avid for not being able to keep up with the pace. Why would anyone defend that? I mean except you, but your head is so deep inside that company, your breath probably smells like their gut bacteria.
You really need to chill.
An educated consumer is the best consumer and these days it's super easy to find things out via Google (or ask here). There's no excuse for not doing that. No 'consulting heaven & hell' or sacrificing goats to find information.

No one is excusing or defending Avid on they're non-ability to keep up with OSX changes. Software updating isn't easy, especially when a company like Apple makes changes right up until the gold master file is released. Avid would be trying to shoot a very moving target. Then there's the history of Apple saying that High Sierra would not support 32 bit s/w but that changed so there was no reason to believe it wouldn't happen again. Now you can see why Avid is slow on getting PT Catalina ready. Then again they're not the only developer to do so.

QAPLA!
Old 11-27-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
No one is excusing or defending Avid on they're non-ability to keep up with OSX changes.
And you spend the next paragraph doing exactly that. It's pointless to argue with you guys, so I'm removing myself from the discussion.
Avid sure is glad to have customers with the mental capacity of a green salad.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock