Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-12-2009, 10:11 AM

Default Lost wav. files

Sorry, I posted initially on the wrong forum.
Simply I have upgraded my PC, now with Windows Vista, and added a Fire Wire Hard Drive. Previously I had used an XP based system and a USB driven external hard drive, anticipating problems until I upgraded.
My issue is that the sessions I have saved on the USB drive will not open properly on the new system. All the tracks are there, but no wav. data visible or audible.
What dumb thing am I missing, apart from the data that is......
I have simply dragged the session files from the old to the new.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Lost wav. files

Answering from your other post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakdown View Post
Disc Allocation confirm files are not in the right place..And then what...
If disk allocation is showing the wrong location for the files... Change the location.
Quote:
Sorry, I posted initially on the wrong forum.
Simply I have upgraded my PC, now with Windows Vista, and added a Fire Wire Hard Drive. Previously I had used an XP based system and a USB driven external hard drive, anticipating problems until I upgraded.
My issue is that the sessions I have saved on the USB drive will not open properly on the new system. All the tracks are there, but no wav. data visible or audible.
What dumb thing am I missing, apart from the data that is......
I have simply dragged the session files from the old to the new.
You would probably be better off doing this:
  • Open the session in Pro Tools from the original USB location.
  • Ensure that everything is there and that the session works as expected.
  • From the Pro Tools menu, select File->Save Copy In...
  • Ensure that the Session Parameters are the same
  • In the "Items to Copy" section of the Save Session Copy dialog, select "All Audio Files" (and anything else that is relevant to the session)
  • click OK
  • Select your new firewire drive as the destination, check/correct the file name as you desire, and click "Save".

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 10-12-2009, 11:21 AM

Thanks for that. Unfortunately it starts when I try to open th files from the USB hard drive. That is when they are missing. The same files open perfectly, and still do, on my XP set up.

Can't do anything now until Wednesday as I have to go away from home until then.

Again, thanks for your time.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Thanks for that. Unfortunately it starts when I try to open th files from the USB hard drive. That is when they are missing.
OK, that leads me to beleive there is an allocation problem on the original system then. While the session is open on the XP system, check the allocation and make sure the files are on the USB drive.
Quote:
The same files open perfectly, and still do, on my XP set up.
Which just enhances that theory.

If you can, open the files on the original system, do the "Save Copy In..." process on the original system to the USB drive from the original system first.

This might also have something to do with permissions under Vista. Are you running Pro Tools as Administrator?

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 10-12-2009, 12:01 PM

I agree, it sounds like you have audio files in mystery places on the original session. Follow the advice given and you should see them all come together in one place.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-12-2009, 08:27 PM

This is truly one of my biggest gripes about PT. (I have 3) If you check in your disk allocation window the system drive should be set to playback only. and the box with 'record using round robbin' should not be checked. I don't know anyone who uses this feature, and if you should not ever record to your system drive, WHY IS THE OPTION EVEN THERE? If someone can explain to me why anyone would want to keep the audio files in a different location from the session, I'd like to hear it.

Make sure your setup is exactly as it was when you recorded your session. Go to the file dropdown and select 'record in' select a drive, and check the box, 'with audio files' just as spkguit suggested. If you haven't performed a defrag or move the files they should be located and moved with the others to it's new destination.

Good luck...