Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-31-2001, 07:45 AM

Default Emu Proteus 2K owners \"A\" my \"Q\"

I am about to buy the Emu Mophatt and also the Planet earth.
Am I miss understood when thinking these joints are just shells and they are all the same, meaning I could just buy one , say the mophatt, and then buy the Planet earth expansion rom, and turbo card for it and have the same deal as having both boxes but with two extra outputs(6). The documentaion is poor on Emus sight. Will some proteus 2K owner s let me in on the advantages or disadvantage of going this route rather than buying both, it will cost a little less, and I could probly get 2 expan roms for the same price as 2 boxes.
sory this has nothing to do with PT
some of the only people I trust on this ish

also I have not heard the planet earth yet any comments on it
realize I will check it before I buy
but comments please
'thanks

------------------
Switchcraft
Old 01-31-2001, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Emu Proteus 2K owners \"A\" my \"Q\"

yo switch.
you can get a mophatt exp mod
but i dont know about the planet earth.
i own a proteus 2k. it's the blaze.
JLB
Old 02-01-2001, 09:31 AM

I s there any difference in having the whole unit or just its xpoansion rom
Old 02-05-2001, 07:03 AM

Hope this clears things up a bit for you...

* All the E-mu ExpansionROMS are interchangeable between their modules. Therefore, once the 'world' ROM (called 'World Expedition') is sitting in a Mo'Phat module, it'll have *exactly* the same 'world' sounds and features that can be found in the 'Planet Earth' module itself.

*There are no disadvantages with running foreign ROMS away from their native module. Some of the modules (eg. Xtreme Lead-1) have 'arpeggiators' and 'beats' modes, however if you were to purchase the XtremeROM separately, it comes supplied with an OS upgrade on CD to update the module you're presently using (just say, the Proteus2000) to give it the same 'arpeggiators' and 'beats' modes as the Xtreme Lead-1.

* Some of the modules offer room for a total of only 2 ROM's, 16 MIDI parts, and 64 note polyphony. (See www.emu.com for the exact details on each model. The Xtreme Lead-1 module, for example, falls into this catagory).

* Others, such as the Proteus2000 offer double the above specs... ie. room for 4 ROMS maximum, 32 MIDI parts, 128 note polyphony, plus 4 additional analogue outs, and S/PDIF digital out.

* You can upgrade from the smaller spec to the full spec with a 'Turbo Upgrade'. Be warned: this requires sending the unit back to E-mu for an expensive circuit board replacement. You may be able to purchase the module with the 'turbo' pre-fitted.

* One other thing, there is a new module from E-mu called the 'Custom' (???) that comes without any ROMS. You can then mix and match whichever ROMS you wish. I'm not sure of the price but it may be something to look into.

Personally, I've set myself up with the Proteus2000 (with the full hardware spec's) - and will take it from there.

There is also a very useful mailing list you should join at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/p2k

All the best,

Phil
Old 02-05-2001, 07:22 AM

Thanks

------------------
Switchcraft
Old 02-05-2001, 04:40 PM

This is an issue that has ticked me off about EMU, the fact that the promised all this expandability when they came out with the Proteus 2K but came out with new modules rather than expansion ROMs. At least now there are more available than there were 6 months ago.

It's a great machine, however. This is a minor gripe at worst. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of buying the "Holy Grail Piano" ROM about a year and a half ago. Yeesh, was it a dog!

------------------
- Michael

My music and mug shot

The Baal Shem Tones
OS 11.6.1 Big Sur