Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 06-13-2016, 09:29 AM

Default What Would You Guys Do With This Video

Hey guys, I just uploaded my very first video to youtube so you guys can hopefully give me some tips on how to mix my guitar. Im just a guitar player who wants to have fun and post some good audio/video quality stuff on my youtube channel that other people will hopefully enjoy too.

The video link has the description of everything i used as well.

I added no effects to the track and had no effects in my guitar setup either. I know my lighting is bad and that track for sure needs mixing, I'm just lost as of where to begin.

Im not too concerned with effects at the moment, mainly just eq.

what do you guys think? hopefully you guys enjoy the song if anything

https://youtu.be/lNLwVkKR80Q
Old 06-13-2016, 02:16 PM

Default Re: What Would You Guys Do With This Video

Well, I enjoyed it at least.
Not really my kind of music but sounds like good stuff.

I really can't help you to mix it. Basic mixing is just a question of good listening environment and lots of experience.

Couple of basic things to have in mind, though, is do not rely on headphones. I hope you have two decent monitors and a room that doesn't colour the sound too much with resonnance. Use reference tracks. Find something that you like the sound of, put it in the PT session, and try to emulate the mix with EQ, dynamics and panning. Then bounce it and checkout how it sounds on other systems; in the car, at a friends place, on headphones, and try to learn how it "translates" from what you hear when you mix.

Best of luck to you.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:48 PM

"this video is not available"
Old 06-13-2016, 04:10 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomdude84 View Post
Hey guys, I just uploaded my very first video to youtube so you guys can hopefully give me some tips on how to mix my guitar. Im just a guitar player who wants to have fun and post some good audio/video quality stuff on my youtube channel that other people will hopefully enjoy too.

The video link has the description of everything i used as well.

I added no effects to the track and had no effects in my guitar setup either. I know my lighting is bad and that track for sure needs mixing, I'm just lost as of where to begin.

Im not too concerned with effects at the moment, mainly just eq.

what do you guys think? hopefully you guys enjoy the song if anything

https://youtu.be/lNLwVkKR80Q

Hope to see more from you! :) Cheers!

Best regards,
Tope
Old 06-13-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
"this video is not available"
Yes, it is.
Here at least. I just checked.

Not a timewaster, people. This kid can play the guitar.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:16 PM

love that album. and that lick.

- are you recording the guitar into the interface?

you should be.

- are you taking that into PT to eq/shape/effext?

you should be.

-----

on eq, turn the knobs until you are happy.....Im not joking. Listen to that album and specifically the rythm guitar and emulate that while listening to your recorded part.....

just make sure as Ben said.....your not to reliant on headphone, your Mixing room has some basic treatment.....a little is better than nothing.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Yes, it is.
Here at least. I just checked.

Not a timewaster, people. This kid can play the guitar.
Not here in Canada...or at least on mobile devices, although when that's the case I think it specifies it.

Update---it must be something with the phone, I was able to watch on a pc, good job.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:15 AM

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I am not sure why it wouldn't work on a mobile device. I have an iPhone and it works fine. Its my first video so Im sure ill figure out more on how to make sure it works on everything.

I did mic up the am and go through my mbox mini and I do use monitor speakers. Not very good ones, they were about $150 from sweet water, they are samson active bt4, nothing special.

Using the headphones helps me for laying down the track. Otherwise my mic will pic up the studio monitor playback. The headphones also help with hearing the song better as I'm playing along. What do you guys do?

As far as eq, shape, and effects, i didnt use anything. what you hear is straight outta the amp and into the mic.

Thats what i was trying to get some feedback on because I opened up the eq in pro tools and have no clue what to do lol.

There are tutorials on youtube so I'm gonna watch some of those and just mess around.

Thanks guys, ill try to post some stuff after I mix it.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:44 AM

Default What Would You Guys Do With This Video

Quote:
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I am not sure why it wouldn't work on a mobile device. I have an iPhone and it works fine. Its my first video so Im sure ill figure out more on how to make sure it works on everything.
That has nothing to do with you. Some different countries have different rules regarding how and where you view videos.

Quote:
I did mic up the am and go through my mbox mini
Great that's how your supposed to do it.

Quote:
and I do use monitor speakers. Not very good ones, they were about $150 from sweet water, they are samson active bt4, nothing special.
Not using headphones was more about not using them while Mixing. Everyone uses them while recording.

Quote:
As far as eq, shape, and effects, i didnt use anything. what you hear is straight outta the amp and into the mic.
Room treatment, anything from pricy foam, to cheaper thick blankets placed in certain specific places in your room.

Quote:
Thats what i was trying to get some feedback on because I opened up the eq in pro tools and have no clue what to do lol.
Think of PT EQ as a guitar amps eq controls. Does it sound a little light in the bottom? Bump some low end. Does it sound too mid rangy? Maybe too boxy? Cut some mid range. Be aware poor room treatment will effect what you hear in your studio monitors.

Quote:
There are tutorials on youtube so I'm gonna watch some of those and just mess around.
Pro tools experts - maybe the cheaper way to watch people do what they do

Pure mix.net - maybe a little more pricy...(idk maybe not) but I like the extra effort those guys put on the videos.

I'm not saying pro tools experts is bad, their not, but when you can watch a video with a guy who mixed Black Sabbath, The Chilli Peppers and Adele.....I think he wins every time.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
That has nothing to do with you. Some different countries have different rules regarding how and where you view videos.

Great that's how your supposed to do it.

Not using headphones was more about not using them while Mixing. Everyone uses them while recording.

Room treatment, anything from pricy foam, to cheaper thick blankets placed in certain specific places in your room.

Think of PT EQ as a guitar amps eq controls. Does it sound a little light in the bottom? Bump some low end. Does it sound too mid rangy? Maybe too boxy? Cut some mid range. Be aware poor room treatment will effect what you hear in your studio monitors.

Pro tools experts - maybe the cheaper way to watch people do what they do

Pure mix.net - maybe a little more pricy...(idk maybe not) but I like the extra effort those guys put on the videos.

I'm not saying pro tools experts is bad, their not, but when you can watch a video with a guy who mixed Black Sabbath, The Chilli Peppers and Adele.....I think he wins every time.
wow, thanks so much for the details. i was considering going with a website (can't remember the name) that will send out proper padding for your studio based on the room dimensions you give them. i have no clue what it will cost though.

i am going to check the site out that you mentioned as well.