Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2017, 02:17 AM

Default VCAs Spill bug

A little bug observed on Spilled VCAs :

-I Solo a VCA.
-I spill this VCA via the Menu buton + R Spill or L Spill.
-I solo one track "inside" the VCA.
-I then simultaneously unsolo this track and solo another one in the same VCA and … the VCA unspills by its own …

Config :
PT 12.7.1, Eucon 3.6.1, OS 10.10.5, S6 M40 32-9.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:12 AM
Avid

Default Re: VCAs Spill bug

I haven't seen or heard of this exact issue. I presume you don't have Attention soloed track enabled which would be problematic with this workflow. Also - I presume you are not accidentally pressing Menu on any of the slave channels. Let us know if this is consistently reproducible on your end.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MTRX FAQ
Old 09-05-2017, 01:46 AM

Hi Jeff,

I unactivated the Attention soloed track and, yes, it's ok now.
May i ask why this pref is a problem in that case ?
Thank you very much.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:02 AM
Avid

A few more questions to dissect your question if you don't mind...

Do you have nested VCA's - VCA's inside of VCA's?

Do you use the Auto-Spill preference to dump spilled members into a specific Spill Zone for example?

Many of these preferences can interact with each other. Just trying to ascertain if this is operational workflow related or in fact a bug.

Thanks.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 09-09-2017, 05:59 AM

Hi Jeff,

No VCA's inside VCA's.
No auto spill pref to a spill Zone.

Thanks.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:40 AM
Avid

Greetings,

A few recommendations. I would highly recommend defining explicit Spill Zones (at least one and up to a maximum of two) from which you can choose to spill the members of a VCA group into. You can set this up from the Surface page> Config > L Spill R Spill. You can designate a range of tracks from 1 to n for each zone. The benefit is that you always know exactly where your spilled track members are going to show up and this becomes a unique and independent space which is uninterrupted by other operations on the desk including banked channels and the other defined zone.

It looks like you have been spilling using local spill (Spill L Spill R) which is more susceptible to bank changes which can be triggered, for example, by the Bank to Attentioned pref. With dedicated Spill Zones, the operator needs to explicitly close the zone once they are finished with it.

I presume that you saw an interaction between the Solo Attentioned pref in combination with the Select Attentioned and then likely the Auto-Bank pref. This would explain why disabling Attention Soloed resolved the issue. Regardless, I still believe that dedicated Zones are the way to go. Instead of using the switches adjacent to the MENU switch, simply hold MENU on the VCA Master and press Select or Swap corresponding to Zone L Zone R once you have defined those Zones from the surface page. Let me know how it goes.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 09-19-2017, 02:05 AM

Jeff,

Thanks for the reply,

First, it is only an interaction between Solo Attentioned pref and the Select Attentioned pref, no Auto-Bank pref in this case.

It's ok to use Dedicated Spill Zone, but the option of local Spill Zone is very cool, and i already use dedicated spill zones for other uses.
Wouldn't it be possible to fix the interaction problem between Solo Attentioned pref and the Select Attentioned pref in local spill zone mode ?
I'm sorry but those two options cumulated are very useful in our workflow.

Thank you very much.

Best.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:00 AM
Avid

Greetings,

With the combination of the preferences that you enabled, and based on your description of the workflow, it appears that you are asking the S6 to simultaneously focus Attention of two different tracks.

"-I then simultaneously unsolo this track and solo another one in the same VCA and … the VCA unspills by its own …"

We can certainly investigate the possibility of a bug, however I would recommend only Attentioning a single track at a time since the Master Module can only grab onto one. If you were simply performing Solo functions, simultaneously pressing multiple tracks is expected and common. When the Solo Attention pref is added you are invoking a track Attention from Solo.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ