Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 10-19-2008, 08:36 PM

Default Messed Up Audio Overviews PLEASE HELP!!!

I have a PC P4 2.3Ghz 3.5 GB of RAM. ProTools 7.4 with the latest update.

I have been dealing with this problem for quite some time. I bought ProTools M-Powered as version 7.1 and I upgraded when they released the 7.4 version. I did not have this problem when I had version 7.1 but as soon as I upgraded to 7.4 I notice this problem start to happen.

Basicaly, if I record a track in a session in ProTools it does not accuratly represent the visual overview of the waveform. The most common way this happends is on the first few seconds of the track. For instance, if I'm doing vocal work, I will set the record to start 1 bar before the first vocal line starts. So I hit record, wait for the downbeat and then start to sing. After my take is done I go look at the track I just recorded and the first few waveforms after that downbeat, where is vocals started, will not be there. At some point the waveform will aprear but its usualy not lined up with where it sould be. Either its showing up early, late, or with no corolation between the audio its playing back. The playback is fine. Its just not represented visialy with waveforms, the way it should.

If I delete the wave overview file in the session folder and then reload the sessoin it will accuralty write waveforms for all the audio thats in the session. Or, if I add elastic audio to a track that I just recorded, that has a messed up waveform... then it will read that track for elastic audio and then give me a new, corrected waveform overview. It seems to happen with new audio that been recorded and won't be fixed if I reload the session. Only if I delete the wave overview file and then reload.

Also, if I look at a track with a messed up waveform, and then zoom in, to a place where the wave form should be, it will show up. If I zoom in far enough the wave form will appear. Only if I zoom in far enough. As soon as I zoom out, it goes away again.

I know this sounds wierd but I have provided two screen shots to help show what I'm talking about. The first one is a bass track I recorded. The first note is played on the downbeat that has a marker on it. The note was played on the downbeat but it waveform does not represent that. Here is the screen shot!

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...hotAnozoom.jpg

Now this is the same place in the session, on the downbeat, but this time I zoomed in, and the waveform shows up the way it should.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...tAwithzoom.jpg

Here are two more that I took that show the same thing but with a vocal recording.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...hotBnozoom.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...tBwithzoom.jpg

I have this problem EVERY time I record a new track and as I'm sure you can guess its makes it pretty hard to do editing or pocketing. REALLY HARD!!

Can anyone please help. PLEASE!!! Thanks so much. I'm losing my mind over here.

Nick
Old 10-20-2008, 09:42 AM
Avid

Default Re: Messed Up Audio Overviews PLEASE HELP!!!

This is a known issue and is being worked on.

In the meantime, use 'Recalculate Waveform Overviews' to have it show the correct waveform.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:47 AM

Where do I find the 'Recalculate Waveform Overviews'?

Is there a plan to fix this problem and release an update to square away 7.4 before version 8 comes out?

Thanks for such a quick response. Its great to get feedback so fast. Much appreciated!!

Nick
Old 10-20-2008, 03:42 PM
Avid

Right click on the region name in the regions bin and select 'Recalculate Waveform Overview'.

You might also want to get familiar with searching the Pro Tools Reference Guide, which you can find under the Help menu in Pro Tools.

Yes, a fix is in the works, though I don't know if it will come out for 7.4 before Pro Tools 8 is available. It has to go through testing to be sure it's working properly and we're currently testing it in 8. Once we're assured of the fix, it will be rolled into a cs version for 7.4.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:31 PM

Ya. Sorry for asking a dumb question. I did end up finding it in the help file. Thanks for the info on the update. I look fordward to seeing it on the list of fixed items.

Nick