Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2006, 11:59 PM

Default 002 randomly stops working!!

Hello Everyone!

I've had my 002 Rack for over two years now and it hasn't had a problem. But recently, it's started to give me troubles.

I will turn it on, and after about 5 minutes it will randomly stop working. The sample rate LED will shut off, and then the device will start click for a bout 5 seconds, and then it becomes unresponsive. I will try to load up Pro Tools, and it will tell me to "Turn on my DAE device" or it will give me "DAE error 1115." Then I might try turning it off and then turning it back on again, and 50% of the time it will just start clicking again and the sample rate LED will never turn on.

Then the other 50% of the time it will start working again for another 5 minutes. I reformatted my computer, so I know the problem isn't my drivers or the computer. Does anyone know what I can do? Is there any way to reset the firmware on my device?

Should I send it in to be repaired? I tried finding the California Digidesign Repair Facility number on the digidesign.com contact page, but to no avail. Does that place even exist?

I appreciate any help you guys can give me. It's been so faithful to me thus far, I really hope this can be fixed and I can be happy with my 002 for at least another year or two.

Thanks,
Jon
Old 10-24-2006, 06:08 AM

Default Re: 002 randomly stops working!!

power harness problem.

reset it.

or go to radio shack and get oxidation spray remover.

then good as new.

email digi and get your free harness for back-up
Old 10-24-2006, 01:35 PM

how do i reset it? i looked in the manual but had a hard time finding this. what exactly is the power harness and how do i use the oxidation remover spray to fix it?

thanks a bunch!
Old 10-24-2006, 02:25 PM

I think he meant "reseat it" not "reset it". If you unplug the 002R and take the screws out of the top cover and take the cover off you will see a cable harness that goes between the different circuit boards. It has several wire leads and large white plastic connectors. Just very carefully unplug the connectors in each location and then plug them back in again. This will breakup the corrossion that is causing the open circuit. It is best to put some anti-corrosion lubricant on the connectors before you reconnect them. Digi sent some alaong with the new power harness cable when I had this problem. The corrossion appears to grow over time and reseating the connectors just temporarily breaks it up so you get a good connection again. Be sure to keep one hand on a grounded chasis (of some other device that is still plugged in to an ac outlet not the 002R) to keep from building up static while you are working inside the 002R. If you don't feel comfortable doing this I'm sure Digi will let you send the unit in for repair.

randy
Old 10-24-2006, 06:12 PM

thanks a bunch!