Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 06-19-2019, 10:12 AM

Default New to PT, use as Final Delivery still standard?

Hello, new to the Forum, and new to Pro tools..

I think I need Pro Tools for final delivery as I am doing more and more TV, and Ad work (music scoring) and PT is still a must, even though I use a bit of Ableton (Sound Design), Logic, FL Studio, and Reaper which is close, but obviously isn't PT when it comes to delivering sessions.

This maybe a stupid question but does anyone else 'compile' audio from various DAW's, like an old school 24-track tape machine, (so you can pick a bit of each and their strengths) and compile them all into a Pro tools session at separate times?

It may sound daft, but I don't really see anyone else doing this, as it mostly seems to be just Logic etc. Maybe I'm wrong?

But I would like to 'compile' in Protools as final delivery, but use it as a big Tape Recorder (with no sync to any other DAW but same tempo audio) so that i can play a few sounds or tracks/loops from Ableton, (record into PT), then load Logic, with its Instruments, and fx, (record into PT), maybe even play some piano live on a Pro tools track/take? and so on... maybe people are doing this?... or not, as there's flaws to it?

So then this way everything at the end is in one place and in Audio in PT, and you can edit, manipulate audio, and sync it perfectly to a video/film, for sound design and/or composition. My 'brain' seems to work quicker when working on one thing at a time, and moving on, and mixing separately at the end, instead of doing it all at once.

This is why i am looking at Pro tools Standard as a 'tape recorder' to do this with? Also can i ask if PT still needs an iLok these days?

Hope this post makes sense, or am I way off the mark? - sorry am new :)
Old 06-19-2019, 03:03 PM

Default Re: New to PT, use as Final Delivery still standard?

Yes PT uses iLok, regarding the rest well lots of folks use multiple DAW’s that they feel do certain things better or a prefered way. Doing the way I think you are asking I think you would need DAW’s running on seperate puters with seperate DAW’s, audio interfaces....etc...etc. if you are wanting everything to work at the same time and interact with each other. ie you can’t run multiple daws on one putter at a time something is bound to fart. Then you would just need to patch everything together... and prolly hope for no hum in the sys.
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 06-19-2019, 03:08 PM

Thanks but I probably should have explained that I’d use one daw at a time and compile sounds and fx all in pro tools as a multi track, switching between each daw.

Then at the end just concentrate on protocols to arrange and mix all of my compiled samples and audio? 😊
Old 06-19-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Thanks but I probably should have explained that I’d use one daw at a time and compile sounds and fx all in pro tools as a multi track, switching between each daw.

Then at the end just concentrate on protocols to arrange and mix all of my compiled samples and audio? 😊
Yup sure, just got to bounce down whatever you have done to a compatible file format that PT can import and that is pretty straight forward.

I have PT and Cubase installed on the same machine just can’t run at the same time.
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 09-26-2019, 03:45 AM

As long as your files all line up when you bring them into PT, and this method works for you, your clients are only going to care about what they end up with. So if they want a pro tools session with audio tracks, I don’t see a problem. For most people (myself included), Pro Tools is the best audio editor and mixer of any DAW. But, I still prefer logic for the my initial MIDI composing. I start everything in Logic and finish the project in Pro Tools.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 09-26-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
As long as your files all line up when you bring them into PT, and this method works for you, your clients are only going to care about what they end up with. So if they want a pro tools session with audio tracks, I don’t see a problem. For most people (myself included), Pro Tools is the best audio editor and mixer of any DAW. But, I still prefer logic for the my initial MIDI composing. I start everything in Logic and finish the project in Pro Tools.
Great, but can i ask how you do this exactly and do you do it mid-way through or at the end?

Do you compose little parts in Logic at the start against picture, then record or transfer these into PT and line them up exactly in there, against frames?
Or do you do the whole thing in Logic, then at the end export as audio and line up in PT?
Old 09-26-2019, 06:11 AM

When I receive Logic projects, I demand that every track (audio file) begins from zero. Just to have everything properly synced, nothing more.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
This is why i am looking at Pro tools Standard as a 'tape recorder' to do this with? Also can i ask if PT still needs an iLok these days
You have a choice, you can use a physical iLok or “iLok cloud licensing” which does not need a physical iLok, but does need a reliable internet connection.

If you use a physical iLok, understand what happens if you lose the iLok or it fails, and the ZDT “insurance” option. All described on iLok.com and discussed on many posts on DUC.