Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 09-19-2019, 08:10 AM

Default Re: How can I use one license on two different computers with a digital iLok key?

Unless it's the fault of some kind of user error or there is a problem with one of my machines, this cloud system is extremely frustrating and unreliable. Frequent errors or hard fails uploading changes to the cloud, failure to save certain samples to the cloud, download errors or a notification that there is no project file when opening a project that was saved and uploaded on another computer, etc. If I were to purchase a physical iLok key, does it transfer the license as well as the desired project file or does the project have to be moved with a separate drive?
Old 09-19-2019, 08:12 AM

Default Re: How can I use one license on two different computers with a digital iLok key?

One alternative is to have 2 or more iLoks depending on how many computers you have and then just transfer the licenses from one iLok to another using iLok's License Manager. Just need to be sure to leave the computers running when transferring.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-19-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techno_telemann View Post
Unless it's the fault of some kind of user error or there is a problem with one of my machines, this cloud system is extremely frustrating and unreliable. Frequent errors or hard fails uploading changes to the cloud, failure to save certain samples to the cloud, download errors or a notification that there is no project file when opening a project that was saved and uploaded on another computer, etc. If I were to purchase a physical iLok key, does it transfer the license as well as the desired project file or does the project have to be moved with a separate drive?
"cloud system"? iLok cloud licensing and Pro Tools cloud projects/collaboration are two separate things.

I would not want to inflict Cloud Projects on anybody, it seems a buggy, poorly implemented mess. I would get off that onto good old style local sessions.

iLoks do nothing but contain license keys. They cannot contain project/session or any other data.

Pro Tools *projects* live in the Pro Tools proprietary cloud, you need to convert them into *sessions* to live on the computer. Then you can do things like copy them to a small USB memory stick (formatted exFAT, ~same size as your iLok, keep them on the same keyring) and use that to move the sessions between computers. (Don't run the sessions off the USB stick, copy it to a local storage that meet Pro Tool audio drive preference specs (and on a Mac is formatted HFS+ or APFS or Windows in formatted NTFS).

You can also use cloud storage options like Google Drive or Dropbox etc. to save copies of sessions and move between computers. But do not run Pro Tools on those sessions in the cloud, make a copy on local disk and work on that.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-19-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:54 AM

There is software called Virtualhere which can be used to set up a virtual usb port over a network. I have it on an old pc at my studio. When I think I may need to access PT at home but don't want to carry my ilok, I unplug from my main machine and plug it into my Virtualhere server. Then I can access the ilok from home. It's reliable as long as the connection isn't disrupted. For anything crucial I just carry the ilok.
Windows 10 Pro
HD Native PCIe
Lynx Aurora with LT-HD
Apogee
Mytek
Old 09-19-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
One alternative is to have 2 or more iLoks depending on how many computers you have and then just transfer the licenses from one iLok to another using iLok's License Manager. Just need to be sure to leave the computers running when transferring.
That is effectively using Cloud but instead of having the luxury of no iloks you would just transfer the licensed between ilok1-cloud-ilok2
Old 09-20-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
That is effectively using Cloud but instead of having the luxury of no iloks you would just transfer the licensed between ilok1-cloud-ilok2
Yes, in a sense, but you don't have to worry about a spotty Internet connection and losing your cloud license while you're trying to work. And with ZDT and TLC on both iLoks, you're covered in case of "disaster".
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction