How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 07-03-2013, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Use Audio track as Notepad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarabozo View Post
I really don't see how that is easier than using memory locations - which can have comments too. Also, tracks can have comments.
Like holden, I do really love having midi clips as a kind of second marker lane, especially for labeling scenes in video post.
- it is right in the edit window, no need to scroll and look in the memory location window
- a marker in the edit window, e.g. "party scene" is readable, but as soon as there is a marker close by, only "p" will be left of "party scene"
- midi clips that cover big parts in time keep their names more visible
- lots of "working" markers render searching for scenes within the edit window almost unusuable
- 100+ "working markers" or markers for specififc events e.g "shot" , "car drive 2" forces to scroll in the memory location window
- midi clips can have a distinguishable color, e.g. "forrest walk scene" in green
- additional markers within this scene can be coloured easily with the same colour as the midi clip by selecting midi clip and choosing the same colour in the colour palette with "marker" selected
- tabbing through the scenes with the midi track selected is quicker then selecting with the mouse in the memory location window or by recalling the numbers
- there can be further midi "marker" lanes for more global subdivision, if needed
Just one way of doing it.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 07-09-2013, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Enuff Q: How about some tips!!!!

Wow, quite an amazing thread to say the least. I just read the entire 354 posts and stole....errr...borrowed many of the tips - I hope they still work for PT 10/11.

Being somewhat of a student of history and let's call it "interweb archaeology" I'm fascinated by a couple of things about this thread:

1. The tips and tricks ebb and flow year to year, but were clearly much more forthcoming in the early days, i.e. 2001-2009

2. The tribes of 2001 spelled "producer" with an "h" as in "produceher" - fascinating idiomatic quirk...i wonder if it's a regional thing.

3. Nearly every poster prefaced their tip with the (paraphrased) comment: "I hope this hasn't already been posted" - which indicates that they didn't read the thread prior to posting their tricks. For some reason I find that extremely funny.

4. There was an effort to put all the tips and tricks into one XCL document but it doesn't appear to have been completed. If it has, it would be great to have that posted here.

5. The posters/gurus of that mileu (2001-2009) were just as helpful and forthcoming as the current DUC gurus. I've worked in several other creative areas (film/tv/education) and generally speaking there is no where near the kind of support and sharing of creative/technical info that goes on here.

Finally, how funny is it that there was a post on July 2011 (#352) and then the next one was TWO YEARS LATER on July 3, 2013.

So here are a few completely unsubstantiated assumptions:

1. there are no more tips or tricks to add to the list - that might be a good thing

2. the thread is being read every 2 years during the month of July!

Ok, back to the grindstone.

Now: MacPro Tower OS 10.8 - PT2018- MBox Pro - MACKIE preamp for monitoring only - mostly WAVES PIs - a couple of AKG/Shure Mics - MAudio Key49
Up Next: Mac Mini M2, PT 2023.9, Focusrite Solo - I love this set up! It's faster than I could have hoped for.
Then: ProTools 5-ish digi001 on a PC running Windows Millennium
BD (before digital)-from Tascam 8-track to Neve 64 - ran live audio for Club 88 in LA (Decline of Western Civilization) and Stage East in N Hollywood

"...this puts things into perspective...too much ****** perspective..." David St Hubbins and Nigel Tufnel standing over Elvis' grave.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrnplyr View Post

1. The tips and tricks ebb and flow year to year, but were clearly much more forthcoming in the early days, i.e. 2001-2009
That's just when I started the thread and I put most of my tips in at the beginning. I probably should update them though.

Quote:
2. The tribes of 2001 spelled "producer" with an "h" as in "produceher" - fascinating idiomatic quirk...i wonder if it's a regional thing.
Actually, that used to be my screen name. Produceher. I changed it to my real name a few years back but that's what you're seeing. People referring to me. I added the H simply because [email protected] was taken. heh

I'm currently re-doing all my tips in video form for Pro Tools 11 and will re-type them upon that release. Thanks
Old 07-10-2013, 08:12 AM

Cool of you to do that, Mr Gioia. This is a fantastic thread for anyone who wants to learn some cool PT techniques that aren't necessarily avail in the manual.

re: the produceher spelling - thanks for clearing that up. For some reason that stuck in my craw, kind of like when Stewie (Family Guy) hits the "h" in cool whip too hard. I thought they were referring to a speech impediment of some kind.

There does seem to be a completely new generation of PT users who could benefit by reading all the tips offered as well as new ones specific to new releases...assuming they've learned how to read.

As far as you know there isn't a unified doc posted somewhere of all the thread tips? If no, maybe I can convince someone in my organization to create such a doc.

Now: MacPro Tower OS 10.8 - PT2018- MBox Pro - MACKIE preamp for monitoring only - mostly WAVES PIs - a couple of AKG/Shure Mics - MAudio Key49
Up Next: Mac Mini M2, PT 2023.9, Focusrite Solo - I love this set up! It's faster than I could have hoped for.
Then: ProTools 5-ish digi001 on a PC running Windows Millennium
BD (before digital)-from Tascam 8-track to Neve 64 - ran live audio for Club 88 in LA (Decline of Western Civilization) and Stage East in N Hollywood

"...this puts things into perspective...too much ****** perspective..." David St Hubbins and Nigel Tufnel standing over Elvis' grave.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Cool of you to do that, Mr Gioia. This is a fantastic thread for anyone who wants to learn some cool PT techniques that aren't necessarily avail in the manual.

re: the produceher spelling - thanks for clearing that up. For some reason that stuck in my craw, kind of like when Stewie (Family Guy) hits the "h" in cool whip too hard. I thought they were referring to a speech impediment of some kind.

There does seem to be a completely new generation of PT users who could benefit by reading all the tips offered as well as new ones specific to new releases...assuming they've learned how to read.

As far as you know there isn't a unified doc posted somewhere of all the thread tips? If no, maybe I can convince someone in my organization to create such a doc.
Yeah. I don't think anyone finished that project.

t-H-anks.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
That's just when I started the thread and I put most of my tips in at the beginning. I probably should update them though.

Actually, that used to be my screen name. Produceher. I changed it to my real name a few years back but that's what you're seeing. People referring to me. I added the H simply because [email protected] was taken. heh

I'm currently re-doing all my tips in video form for Pro Tools 11 and will re-type them upon that release. Thanks
Buying that!

Sometime I wonder if you'd consider doing a vid on the under the hood stuff that can be really confusing at times, like re-linking clips, troubleshooting common error messages, and stuff like that.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Use Audio track as Notepad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxalot View Post
Create a mono audio track. Make it small so it appears as a line between your other tracks. Create a region. Rename the region as a note to yourself. e.g. Guitar Rig 4 #32, Used SM57, Cmaj7 - or whatever. Now when you open a file you haven't seen for awhile you'll have floating notes reminding you of all the little things you did and the choices you made. Uses no CPU.
haha nice
Old 08-24-2013, 03:56 PM

Here is around 5 hours of killer mixing tricks ... from the ex Technical Director / Head Engineer of the Plant Studio!

Enjoy!!!

http://secretsofthepros.com/sotp/Mixing.html
Old 09-13-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booter View Post
Here is around 5 hours of killer mixing tricks ... from the ex Technical Director / Head Engineer of the Plant Studio!

Enjoy!!!

http://secretsofthepros.com/sotp/Mixing.html
Cheers