Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-25-2003, 08:37 PM

Default Recording oboe

Hi folks any pointers on recording oboe?
I am thinking of using my room with wood floor, any hints as to mic placement would be great.
Thanx
NoteFarm
Old 09-25-2003, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Recording oboe

Never recorded one, but mic'd many doing orchestra stuff, and for that the Shure Beta87 worked excellent. From behind the players left shoulder.

Old 09-25-2003, 09:08 PM

Hi Where,
Thanx for the speedy reply, that will certainly help me get started.
Thnx again
NoteFarm
Old 09-26-2003, 06:32 AM

I did an oboe recording a couple years ago with good results. I used an AKG C-414 mic and placed it in front of the oboe at the same level with the holes. Most of the sound actually radiates from the finger holes rather than the bell at the end. Once I got the recording I found it helped to put a gate on the oboe that opened very slowly. This helped not only minimize the background noise, but also helped to take the edge off of it (the oboe tends to sound pretty harsh when recorded up close).

Here's a couple of the recordings I did if you're interested.

Oboe recording 1
Oboe recording 2

Hope this helps.

Jason
www.cd-romney.com
www.ncarts.edu/ncsaprod/designandproduction
Old 09-29-2003, 10:18 AM

What sort of context are you recording your oboe? Are you part of an ensemble? Recording Solo? Audition tape where mono is required, stereo? etc....

For recording woodwinds, especially oboe and clarinet as an overdub (mono micing, no ensemble to worry about) I'll place the mic about 3-4 feet out and perhaps a bit higher than head high. I like using modern ribbon mics (coles 4038, Royer, Beyer 160, etc...) or smooth condensers- (KSM 44, Microtech M930, Schoeps, etc...) If the mic faces more towards the top of the instrument, you'll end up with a brighter sound than if you aim further down the instrument.

For solo performances (say with piano), I will stereo mic. Of course, it depends on the room, but an ORTF pair of Schoeps or Neumann SD condensers works (pref. KM140s or CMC6MK4 or 21), or mid side or blumlein. My favorite mic for all of this is my AKG 426 stereo mic, but the Schoeps CMT301, AKG C34, and other stereo mics would also sound great. The placement of this pair is probably about 6 feet out and perhaps 5-8 feet high depending on whether you are sitting or standing.

Whatever you do, do NOT rely on compressors or outboard EQs to get your sound. If you find that you are not getting the sound from the mic, you are doing something wrong. When recording acoustic music, it is usually best to keep a somewhat purist approach. I'm not saying that color from mics or pres is necessarily bad (tracking an orchestra through Neve pres can sound awesome), but a reliance on anthing other than a mic and a preamp is detrimental to your sound in the long run.

--Ben