Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 11-02-2000, 04:10 AM

Default It doesn`t work - on 3 different PC´s

It can´t believe it - but it`s true:
always "engine error xxxx" or so

System 1:
Intel-Chipset (Asus P2B)
P2/400, 192 MB, UW-SCSI-Harddisks,
Waveterminal2496 - Soundcard and
TurtleBeach Tropez - Soundcard

System 2:
Via-Chipset (Epox 7KXA)
Athlon 800, 256 MB, UDMA66 - Harddisks,
TurtleBeach Pinnacle - Soundcard

System 3:
AMD/Via-Chipset (FIC SD11)
Athlon 600, 128 MB, UDMA66 - Harddisks,
Creamware Tdat16 - Soundcard

If this should be the digidesign`s great idea
to win potentially new customers, then there is absolutely nothing more to say. Good Bye ProTools !!

With best regards

Erwin Schrodis

Old 11-02-2000, 11:59 AM
Avid

Default Re: It doesn`t work - on 3 different PC´s

Hi Erwin. Sorry you're having these problems. On the PC side we half expected alot of this type of thing to happening. There is just too many variables in the WinTel PC world. Your AMD and Athlon machines are not likely to work. Although we only qualified PIII processors, your PII has the best shot at running the app. If you could provide all the specific information your getting on the PII, that would help us possibly to figure out why it's not installing on that Platform. Thanks.

Tom S
Digi Customer Support
Old 11-02-2000, 04:02 PM

Yeah same here. Actually 4 diff machines with each different Errors. One machine freezes when Pro Tools looks for midi, another freezes during editing, other wont work at all and the last one crashes the machine after 5 mins. All are PIII machines with a min. of 512! mega of RAM here at the Studio. Too bad we dont have time to waste.

"There is just too many variables in the WinTel PC world"

No. Wrong. TONS of other companies have ULTRA STABLE software. This is only an excuse. Sure its free so i didnt pay for anything but it should still work or not?

Anyone whos on the PC side, get a stable program like Vegas or Sound forge. I have both on 16 hours a day and they NEVER have crashed on me.
Old 11-02-2000, 05:11 PM

> There is just too many variables in the WinTel PC world.

Continuing to say this won't make it true. Anyone with more than a superficial understanding of Win knows it is false if dealing with standard hardware and the provided API's. However, Win will slap you hard if you cut corners, try to get around it because you don't like it or fail to spend the time to fully understand it.

I really do wish digi success with this but find highly arguable statements about what is wrong very distateful and a poor harbinger.

Bob
Old 11-03-2000, 04:47 AM

Hi Tom,
Thanks for your answere. As an old Session8-
user I know that digidesign`s support is one
of the best. Like Session8 was one of the
best on the market - and this system is really
compatible with all the "standard" PC`s, Chipsets (Intel, Ali, Via, Sis ..), Processors (Intel, AMD, Cyrix-IBM ..) etc..
Not so with your Digi001 or this PT-Free. As
a product that needs a powerful system with
enormeous native-processing power you
cannot ignore the fastest PC-processor
(Athlon, Thunderbird) and the for this most-used Mainboard chipset (VIA).
This is now (and for years) a huge part of
PC-users !
Look at Emu/Ensoniq`s PARIS-system -
(already some years old) working on PC
(Intel and AMD!) and Mac platform. And they are coming soon with new software (and new additional hardware). Maybe then it`s time
for digidesign to change something.

Best regards
Erwin Schrodis
Old 11-08-2000, 07:56 AM
Avid

arcane /Erwin / Buzzfunk - Sorry. I Didn't mean to offer excuses or cause a controversy. We're working on the identifiable problems that we have a chance to fix in the near future. I'm not an engineer. Statements that I make about the WinTel platform come from a support perspective. As far as I know there is a way to author a driver set that would allow PT Free to run on any type of PC with any configuration. Maybe, maybe not. My job is to collect information and let the engineers sort it out. Again, I apologize for any problems you've had or are having with PTF. It's not Digi's intention to cause anyone pain over this. All I can say is, we're presently trying to resolve some of this stuff. Stay tuned.

Tom S.
Old 11-08-2000, 02:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TechSupt:
arcane /Erwin / Buzzfunk - Sorry. I Didn't mean to offer excuses or cause a controversy. We're working on the identifiable problems that we have a chance to fix in the near future. I'm not an engineer. Statements that I make about the WinTel platform come from a support perspective. As far as I know there is a way to author a driver set that would allow PT Free to run on any type of PC with any configuration. Maybe, maybe not. My job is to collect information and let the engineers sort it out. Again, I apologize for any problems you've had or are having with PTF. It's not Digi's intention to cause anyone pain over this. All I can say is, we're presently trying to resolve some of this stuff. Stay tuned.

Tom S.

I downloaded the PTFree with no problem from this site, it took no longer than 5 minutes thanks to DSL connection. Now! Here is the problem: it seems to install with no inconvenience or problem but as soon as I try to open the program it tries to load but it freezes my whole aystem, I can't even restart from the Keyboard of the computer!!!!!!!!
I've done all the changes explained in the guides for installing the software with no satisfactory results. Un-installing and re-installing doesn't do any difference.
1.What's happening with PRO TOOLS FREE???
2.Why is DIGIDESIGN offering this for free in order to attract us potential buyers when all it does is to scare us away?
3. Does anyone have any answer to this situations?
NEED HELP OVER HERE! PLEASE!!!
My system set-up is:
Celeron 500 Mhz
384 MB's RAM
(1)MAXTOR 6.3 GB's IDE HD 7200/10ms seek
(1)MAXTOR 20.0GB's IDE HD 7200/10ms seek
Windows 98 SE
MOTU 2408 mkII
MIDIMAN USB midisport 8X8/S MIDI interface
(I'm using CUBASE,Sound Forge 4.5, ACID Pro, VEGAS, Recycle 1.7,direct X plug-ins, and they all work excellent!!!)
TEAC CDR-54W internal CD-R/W
Iomega 100MB's external ZIP drive

PLEASE HELP!!! I am really interested in trying this software.

Old 11-09-2000, 10:09 AM
Avid

CromaFactor. Thanks for the detailed post. I understand your urgency. We're currently assembling data that we hope will help resolve problems such as you have described. I have found a few other posts in this forum that have described problems configuring MOTU hardware with PTF. We're investigating this. Any suggestions I could offer you at the moment would be far to vague to proffer you any real help. We have a concerted effort underway to sort some of the more "show-stopping" problems out. It may take a little while before I can't post any concrete information about the specific behavior on your platform. One of the companies goals in releasing PTF is for the users to have a good initial experience with Pro Tools. We are committed to that goal. Thanks for your patience.

Tom S.
Digidesign Customer Support