Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2008, 11:36 AM

Default MacPro...First Time Buyer???

Hi,
I currently run a Digi-002 factory on a PC. I am looking at upgrading my computer to a Mac Pro. And since Im only gonna be able to get a good computer once in my life I wanna make it pretty good.
First of all is the new line of MacPro compatible with a digi-002? I currently run 7.1 or 7.2. I know I can do atleast 1 upgrade on my software. So ill do that.
2nd...
When you go to configure the mac pro on the website they start you at a 2.8 (8X) processor. Is it better to leave it at that and upgrade the ram? Or what? Its 800 extra to bump up a level in processor and its only fron 2.8 to 3.0 so its not that much...or is it? Someone help me get started...
Thanks
640GB(Mac) 640GB(Windows 7) 1TB(Audio Drive)
Digi-002 Factory and M-box
LE 8.0.3 (Mac) 8.0.3 (PC)
Old 04-21-2008, 08:40 PM

Default Re: MacPro...First Time Buyer???

Your off to a good start switching to a Mac. A few recommendations for your purchase, don't buy the RAM from Apple their prices are through the roof, you can get a much better deal through a 3rd party vendor and it's a snap to install. As far as the processor upgrade, well it really depends on what you are planning to do, for most users the standard MacPro is a BEAST and will serve you well ... unless money is no option I would not get the processor upgrade and spend the extra money on as much RAM as you can. You should know that Leopard comes standard on the MacPro and that machine cannot run Tiger ... as you probably know LE is not Leopard compatible yet so be aware of that. Several people have reported using LE (7.4) with Leopard and have had no problems but I still think you need to be aware of this before purchase. I know Digi is hard at work to fix the issues but you shouldn't count on anything ... it will be ready when it's ready.

I'm not sure if you get a free upgrade to 7.4 ... my guess is no ... unless you bought recently and I doubt it with a 002r you will probably have to pay a small upgrade fee.

Hopes that helps ... no matter what I'm sure you will love going Mac !!!

Best of luck,

Gtrplyr1
Old 04-22-2008, 12:20 PM

Default Re: MacPro...First Time Buyer???

Thanks for the info.
Yeah I know Ill have to pay something like 75-100 bucks for the upgrade to 7.4.
But as you say is the fact that (as you say cause I dont know this) the new MacPro runs the Leopard software and Digi is NOT compatible with it. That SUCKS. I know they must be working on it so it cant be to far off. I suppose I can just get the computer and continue to use PT on my PC until Digi fixes the problem...
640GB(Mac) 640GB(Windows 7) 1TB(Audio Drive)
Digi-002 Factory and M-box
LE 8.0.3 (Mac) 8.0.3 (PC)