Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2017, 11:44 AM

Default newbie issue starting PT First Grey Screen

All,

I am a newbie and I am trying to load and use PT First to see if I like the program.
I registered, downloaded the program (windows), opened an iLock account, and I think I have done everything necessary. I am logged in.
I have the PT logo on my desktop screen and the program is in my program files.
The program opens, I select a new project (Electronica) and there is a task bar across the top of the screen. There is nothing but a grey background and all the available windows like mix. edit etc are greyed out.
I searched the forum and I cant see anyone else that has posted this problem.

Please help this newbie get up and running.
BTW I am using a DELL XPS computer, WIN10, i7 processor, RME RayDat computer cards connected to a Yamaha DM1000 digital mixer.

Thanks,
Old 10-20-2017, 11:46 AM
Avid

Default Re: newbie issue starting PT First Grey Screen

Might be a playback engine issue. Are you using any interface at the moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer56 View Post
All,

I am a newbie and I am trying to load and use PT First to see if I like the program.
I registered, downloaded the program (windows), opened an iLock account, and I think I have done everything necessary. I am logged in.
I have the PT logo on my desktop screen and the program is in my program files.
The program opens, I select a new project (Electronica) and there is a task bar across the top of the screen. There is nothing but a grey background and all the available windows like mix. edit etc are greyed out.
I searched the forum and I cant see anyone else that has posted this problem.

Please help this newbie get up and running.
BTW I am using a DELL XPS computer, WIN10, i7 processor, RME RayDat computer cards connected to a Yamaha DM1000 digital mixer.

Thanks,
Old 10-20-2017, 11:53 AM

I have selected the RME RayDat card in PT in the hardware section but I also tried not selecting the RME and I get the same blank grey screen.
I have removed the program and downloaded it 3 times with the same problem.

Is there a driver missing?
Something else I need to download?

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:16 PM

Default newbie issue starting PT First Grey Screen

What exact install documentation are you following?

Did you install the ILok ILM software?

I would install/reinstall the latest ASIO driver for the RayDat, if that does not work and trashing prefs and reinstalling Pro Tools and reinstall the ILok ILM does not help you can try creating a new admin account and installing and running it from there. If that does not work then your system is likely hosed and you need to do a Windows reinstall... try that onto a spare disk drive or partition, hopefully using a genuine Windows install media or download, not a OEM recovery disk (often loaded with bloatware/c r a p ware).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2017, 09:59 PM

Thanks for the help.
1. I have uninstalled and re-installed iLok and Pro-Tools 3 times.
Same issue.
I have tried every sync setting available and no luck.
ProTools tries to load but it always locks up and no response except I can play the library sounds but the mixer page and the edit pages do not come on. Just a grey screen with most of the task bar greyed out.

Just to check my system (computer/RayDat) I downloaded a different free program to test and it works fine. Syncs immediately and I can play/record without any issues.

My computer is working fine and I bought it only for recording. It has no other programs installed except for PT First, my RME software and the MULab DAW I just downloaded to test which works fine.

I'll try a demo version of Cubase or something else to see if I have any other issues. But it looks like PT is not the program for me.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:12 PM

But did you trash prefs? (troubleshooting steps under "Help Us Help You" up top of every DUC web page).

Right now I'm paying more attention to what you are not saying than what you are.

"sync settings" have no relation here. Is your computer connected to the Internet with a good fast connection while you try to run Pro Tools First?

If that is not it you can try doing a full clean Windows Install or contact Avid customer support (they will likely want to change you to do so).

There is likely almost no users here on DUC what use Pro Tools First. It's far too crippled for most of us, especially the complete incompatibility with Pro Tools sessions and incompatibility with many existing plugins. And the cloud based project storage seems very finicky/flakey (which is what you might be seeing). If you need Pro Tools, you likely need the real thing. If you just need a low-end DAW there are many many choices out there.

If you are just testing this for actual Pro Tools 12, I would stop now and buy a one month subscription to Pro Tools and install the real thing and test on that.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-22-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:29 AM

Ok thanks again for the help.
I don't want to use PT First I just want to try the program to see if I like it.
I'll check the troubleshooting steps again but I did search this problem and I did not find anyone else that offered a solution.
I did see that some PT users were having a problem loading PT if the sample rate was different between projects.

Thanks,
Old 10-23-2017, 10:20 AM

Just trash prefs, I don’t suspect any of the other troubleshooting steps will help you. That is a paranoid way of ensuring corrupt preference files are not causing this problem. The uninstaller may remove them already, or maybe not, as easier to just do it than try to check.

I would just try renting the full Pro Tools 12 version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk