Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2007, 03:09 PM

Default good studio moniters for 003

Im waiting on receiving an 003 factory and was wondering what studio moniters should i invest in for mixing and mastering. thank you.

003 console
pro tools le 7.3
mac pro
Old 03-15-2007, 03:20 PM

Default Re: good studio moniters for 003

What kind of budget do you have for monitors? What size room will you be working in? What kind of music will you be doing?
Old 03-15-2007, 03:36 PM

I'm sure that many here will share the view that while there are many great monitors in different price ranges it really comes down to personal preference weighed against budget. I would recommend going to your local music store with your favorite CD's and listen to everything they have in your price range. But, having said that...........I can recommend the following as a place to start in the 700 to 1200 dollar range:
Dynaudio BM15A
Genelec 8030A
Event Precision 8
KRK V8
Hope this helps......
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Apogee Symphony MKII Thunderbolt 2X6
Old 03-15-2007, 04:11 PM

I'm of the school that monitors and microphones should be the first place you spend lavishly...the air/electronic interface is the hardest to get right.

I bought Adam S3A's as mixing tools. They might not be to everyone's taste, but they are extremely accurate and fantastic for mixing. They are over $5000/pr. I'm not sure you can get something usable for serious work cheaper than that.

Note that every single audio decision you ever make will be based on what your monitors tell you. You ought to also invest in getting the room treated and if you're not an expert a consultant can set you up in good shape.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:37 PM

Adam A7'S - I like them a lot. Great details in the mids and the mixes seem to translate.

Also they're accurate at many different levels of playback, and they are a good deal at around £570 gbp
Old 03-16-2007, 12:08 AM

I'm sure a lot of people will jump me for this but... VERY GENERALLY speaking, the more you pay the better they are. That is (unfortunately) my experience.

So what's you budget? If you are serious about your music and have done some stuff in the past, then I'd recommend you to pay a lot. If you are just starting out or it's just a hobby (and only meant as a hobby) go for something cheaper and work your way up unless you dry your hands with hundred dollar bills.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:15 AM

Quote:
If you are serious about your music and have done some stuff in the past, then I'd recommend you to pay a lot.

I bought Adam S3A's as mixing tools. They might not be to everyone's taste, but they are extremely accurate and fantastic for mixing. They are over $5000/pr. I'm not sure you can get something usable for serious work cheaper than that..
Hi Guys,
Wanted to throw in my two cents here..........
While I agree that as in any piece of gear, generally speaking, you get what you pay for. Of course their are exceptions to this in many cases, as some less expensive gear is perfectly capable of performing at a high level and acheiving great and serious results. But in this case, I must respectfully take issue with the assumptions that price tag of your monitors determines if you are "serious" or doing "serious work".
This arguement can be made about anything . Are you capable of doing serious work in Pro Tools LE at all? Or do you need to be using HD3 to qualify as serious. Can you do serious work with a Neumann TLM 103? Or do you need a Telefunken Ela M 251? It could go on and on............
I don't think that the price of the gear necessarily dictates the seriousness of the work.
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Apogee Symphony MKII Thunderbolt 2X6
Old 03-16-2007, 05:16 AM

tomdiek,

I didn't mean that you are more or less serious about what you depending on the amount of money you pay. What I meant was that if it's a hobby (and purely a hobby) I wouldn't buy the highest priced monitors. It was just a friendly advice... This kind of equipment is very expensive... but hey, it's not my money

Of course one can make good records with cheap equipment but getting high-end stuff can make it way easier. Monitors is such a product that simply makes it easier.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:29 AM

Quote:
I bought Adam S3A's as mixing tools. They might not be to everyone's taste, but they are extremely accurate and fantastic for mixing. They are over $5000/pr. I'm not sure you can get something usable for serious work cheaper than that.

HA!!!!
This is the PTLE forum isn't it!?!?
You must be kidding...can't get something usable for under $5000 a pair.
I totally agree that you get what you pay for, and that good monitors are remarkably important in getting an acuurate mix, but come on. How many multi-platinum selling records have been mixed on NS-10's.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:08 AM

Ask a million people, you'll get a million different answers.

I've decided to go with Dynaudios (BM5A) and I love them.
High Rock Records & Studio
NYC

http://highrockrecords.com