Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2002, 01:18 PM

Default Re: OMF and Symphony 3.6

Could you be more specific? What exactly happens?
Old 03-12-2002, 01:44 PM

Protools 5.1.3/DT2.0 says, "Could not complete the "Import Tracks..." command because: file is not a Pro Tools session." DT1.0cs3 says, "File is not OMF." The editor could not get Symphony to import the OMFs back into Symphony and an Avid DS also couldn't read them either. I don't know the particulars yet. This was with embedded AIFC media. We haven't tried this with another project yet; we're all still in session. *** editor tells me that Symphony doesn't recognize the file type either. *** Of course this Symphony update also adds Windows to the picture where as before the box was strictly NT. I will also try some resource fork editing.
Old 03-12-2002, 08:14 PM

Yikes. Has the editor contacted Avid about it?
Old 03-13-2002, 12:06 AM

Default OMF and Symphony 3.6

Well, it looks like Avid has done it again. Screwed up OMF on Symphony 3.6. PT cannot import a Symphony OMF export, DS cannot, not even the Symphony cannot reimport it. Ha. Has anyone else encountered this?
Old 03-13-2002, 07:31 AM

We will once we've tested this problem with another project. And perhaps with another editor too. You never know what the comntaminents might be. Keep you posted.
Old 03-13-2002, 10:43 AM

Barnaby, what steps did the Avid Editor take to get the OMF transfer over to you. I may have the answer. Was it via HFS mounted volume?
Old 03-15-2002, 09:06 AM

Avid is aware of the Symphony and OMF bug. I had LOTS of Symphony/Protools OMF problems and it's the symphony code. The assured me it's being worked on.

Hope this calms your fears.

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2002, 09:06 AM

Okay, pressure has eased up a bit. It looks like a problem particular to our Symphony. Sorry for blaming Avid; it's just that it wouldn't be a first. I've talked with another editor in town who recently did the Symphony 3.6 upgrade, and they haven't had any OMF problems. Slightly different environment though, DSP Audio workstations. Yet another facility ran AVXfer (some type of OMF analyzing software) that basically saw nothing useable in our Symph's exported OMF embedded. OMF's from our Symph without media are okay.

Toadfish. I don't quite know what you're asking. The audio and video drives are formatted the same as they were with NT, "NTFS" or something like that. Why? What answer do you have? Also, the media is consolidated/copied, and then an embedded media OMF is generated through the network connection to an ASIP server. Though a test case did have the embeddded OMF generated to a local drive

Hopefully we will find the answer. There aren't a lot of options to choose in the export process, nothing more thanwe'vve seen before. And I've had different editors give me test outputs, none of which have worked. So we're looking for that one little obscured check box that is potentially screwing this up.
Old 03-15-2002, 01:25 PM

Okay, Ray. So maybe my competitor, the other Symphony owner, was lying. Are you having problems with Symphony v3.6 too? Gosh, and we just went through this with Symphony 3.0...
Old 03-16-2002, 06:21 PM

well, we just moved our whole facillity across town, and the Unity survuved, I still have to do OMFI from Symphony without embedding the media, because of the OMF bug. From Symphony to Symphony it's ok, but Symphony to any other Avid product, it doesn't work. I'll chrck to make sure they're ALL 3.6 but I'm pretty sure they are.