Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2023, 02:16 PM

Default New to Reamp and have problems

I recently bought a Walrus Audio Reamp box.(I have never Reamped before) I do not record real amps and cabinets but through amp sims. I have an Apollo Twin X. I believe that I might have the box connected correctly but I don't really know for sure because it has not worked for me yet. I haven't used a DI box, but what I do in place of a DI box is record with the amp sim and then bypass the amp and I get a clean tone.
(I still have the waveform of the amp sim on the track. Don't know if that makes a difference)

1. I connect the Line out (3) from the Apollo to the input(XLR)on the Reamp
box.
2. I connect the Line out from the Reamp box to the front of the Hi Z input on
the Apollo. I believe this is the correct way to connect, but I am not positive.

This is where I am totally confused, is the routing. If you see the attached, I have the "clean and DI" on the top and just have the output on MON L-R.

The lower track is the REAMP track. Ignore the I/O on that track. I open the IN and where do I go? I see many choices which do not lead me to anything.(see attached) Then there's the busses which I have not included.

If anyone can give me a hand on this I will send good vibes to you for your help.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by sricabla; 07-21-2023 at 02:27 PM. Reason: need screenshot
Old 07-21-2023, 03:14 PM

Default Re: New to Reamp and have problems

What are you trying to actuality get done?

What guitar amp are you trying to reamp through? What guitar and pickups have you tracked? (esp. want to know if you are tracking hot active pickups).

It is almost always better to start by using amp sims, you can do and learn a lot there, then if you have a nice amp and cab you like, and access to mics and a place to record it then you can play with reaping an actual amp+cab. Guitar amp sims can sound significantly better and give faster results than messing around with not great amp setups... but OTOH if you have nice gear and want to learn etc. then go for it. Just don't assume you have to use a real amp.

You normally use reamp boxes with guitar amplifiers, typically valve amps you like the tone of, you don't use a reamp box just to drive back into an audio interface like the Apollo you are talking about so I'm completely lost as to what you are trying to do. You would normally drive a typical reamp box from an interface balanced line output and the reamp box then drives the guitar amp instrument input. And you record the amp+cab through a microphone (or multiple mics) driving a preamp/your interface input, or in some cases you might have a cab/mic emulator/line output driving into the interface. But the Walrus Canvas Reamps are more than a reamp they are a (low-end) interface as well, which you don't need or want since you have an Apollo. And no I'd not mess around with aggregate I/O. Presumably you can ignore it's internal interface and drive its inputs, but why bother.... I think this is not a great choice for most uses, if you have an Apollo and want a reamp a real amp then an industry defacto standard reamp box like a Radial reamp JCR-1 is a better choice (nice because it's transformer coupled). And by the time you buy nice reamb boxes, a nice sounding amp and cab(s), mic(s), stands, cables, room treatments you can easily have spent several thousands of dollars.

You normally use a reamp box to go from (a low level signal on) differential line level output to a single sided guitar amp input, better matching the input impedance of a guitar amp and likely also providing that balanced to single sided conversion without excessive hum caused by ground loops.

Routing should just not be a complex issue. You normally set the dry track output to whatever physical output on the interface is driving the reamp box. You create a wet track and set the input on that track to whatever preamp/input the mic signal is coming from and you record arm that track and put the transport into record and let it play back the dry signal into the reamp box. You might have unnecessarily complicated things if you are trying to use us the reamp box as an interface and aggregate IO, don't do that.

Any good book on audio engineering will explain reamping in detail. Or find a tutorial on YouTube or Groove3 that is close to what you want to do and follow along the whole tutorial to understand what it's showing. If you get stuck with something provide a link to exactly what you are following/trying to do and explain what is not working.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-21-2023 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-21-2023, 04:22 PM

Thanks for your input! They say you want to get a clean sound before you you can Reamp. So I was experimenting since I have never done the reamp thing. So I have the clean tone that I want to use another amp sim to see what I have with that clean tone. The problem is the routing. If I put a different amp sim in the reamp channel. I would like to get the clean channel into the reamp channel with the different amp sim. I don't know what I/O I can use to record the clean channel with.
Old 07-21-2023, 04:45 PM

This is not making sense at all…. you have already tracked the dry guitar, all you can do to make it appear cleaner is to turn the level down on that track or reduce the gain etc in the amp sim. You sure don’t normally use outboard reamp hardware to do that. You don’t need/should not want any reamp box to work with amp sim plugins. Disconnect that from your system.

You would normally just record the low level DI/dry signal and play with that with amp sims or reamping, you will build up experience as to how hot that signal should be for what you are trying to do.

If you have one dry track with an amp sim plugin on it there are multiple ways to play with that with other amp sims. Just change the plugin on the track. Or duplicate the whole track and then change the plugin. Have the dry track with no plugin on it output drive a bus and then have multiple Aux tracks with different amp Sim plugins in them take their inputs from the bus. Or use track sends to send out the dry signal. As always with a DAW there are many ways to skin the cat, but nothing here is really that specific to using a amp sim plugin, maybe you should be looking for tutorials about Aux input tracks or reviewing the different track types and signal flow in the Pro Tools Reference Guide.

Since nothing you are going here is related to physical reamping you may be better off just looking for tutorials on using amp sim plugins.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-21-2023 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-22-2023, 07:48 AM

Check out this video. It might be helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo2rut0wY3A
Retro 176 (pair), Pultec EQP-1A (pair), Germanium Comps (pair), BAE 10DC (pair), Distressor (pair), Manley Vari-Mu, Sta-Level, Zener, SSL Fusion, SSL FX G384, API 2500, LA2A, 1176, Bricasti, Massive Passive, Anamod ATS-1, Eventide H3500, TC 2290, Yamaha D5000, PCM92, PCM70... Amps, Amps & More Amps.
Old 07-22-2023, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost In The Attic View Post
Check out this video. It might be helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo2rut0wY3A
Nope, if the OP is doing what they described with amp sims then the last thing they should be using is a reamp box. Disconnect it and throw it in the trash.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-22-2023 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-22-2023, 11:06 AM

Yes, I misread the OP’s original post. I thought they were saying they had never re-amped with real amps before, not that they didn’t use real amps. Thanks for catching that Darryl.
Retro 176 (pair), Pultec EQP-1A (pair), Germanium Comps (pair), BAE 10DC (pair), Distressor (pair), Manley Vari-Mu, Sta-Level, Zener, SSL Fusion, SSL FX G384, API 2500, LA2A, 1176, Bricasti, Massive Passive, Anamod ATS-1, Eventide H3500, TC 2290, Yamaha D5000, PCM92, PCM70... Amps, Amps & More Amps.
Old 07-23-2023, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Disconnect it and throw it in the trash.
No - those things are expensive!

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 07-24-2023, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
No - those things are expensive!
Indeed! To the OP, the term "reamp" can mean many variations and given that you don't want to use a real guitar amp, means that you will be doing all of this "ITB"(In The Box) No hardware is called for here, other than getting your dry(unaffected) guitar signal to show up on a track. I suggest watching some youtube tutorials on using amp sim plugins to get started. Remember that plugins on an AUDIO track are not recorded(unless you bus to another track), so you are free to use any amp sim while recording your part, and then swap to any other amp sim to dial in your final sound.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-25-2023, 10:11 PM

I use an Apollo Twin MkII and Radial JCR

This is an example for reamping through pedals (no amp) back into the Apollo

Plug the reamp box into line out 3
Pass the signal through external gear (pedals) until it reaches...
Input 1/hi-z or 2

Track 1 (Audio to reamp)
- no input
- output set to line 3
- inout monitor off
- record enable off
Track 2 (Reamped audio)
- set input to 1 (if using hi-z or the first input with a DI box)
- set output to MON L/R
- input monitor on! (so you can audition processing during playback)
- record enable on when you're ready to record

Also, you must go to UA console cue outputs and change Line 3/4 from MIX to LINE 3/4. This will send the audio routed to those outputs in Pro Tools out of the interface as opposed to the content of MON L/R (MIX)

From your description it doesn't seem clear why you would want to reamp though.