Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2014, 11:05 AM

Default Re: AAE 9173 Pro Tools ran out of CPU power

I had some bounces stop with this error as well in 11.2. Went back to 11.1.2 and this issue is resolved.

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 13.6.6 Ventura,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:03 PM

As a developer, I can tell you that the most important thing needed when trying to fix a problem is to be able to reproduce the problem. That means when you post a possible bug, you should try to determing the "steps to reproduce". Often that involves installing and uninstalling various parts until it is fixed or breaks again. Since Pro-Tools is a complicated eco-system of software and plugins, there are many variables. There is no way any manufacturer can test all situations for all hardware and software.

In my line of work, if I cannot reproduce a bug - and the bug reporter refuses to help - that bug doesn't get my attention - and we mark it as "cannot reproduce" in our bug-tracking software. We're developers - not magicians. We have to prioritize. So far in this thread, I have not seen enough information to reproduce the problem - good luck getting that fixed - if it even is a "bug" at all.

-dan
Old 07-10-2014, 11:58 AM

I am experiencing the same thing. Unfortunately i upgrade to osx 10.9.4, and to the latest versions of PT 10 and 11 at the same time so I'm not sure exactly which is at fault. However I can reproduce the issue quite reliably. It happens in sessions with the Sansamp PSA-1 for sure and I think Melodyne as well but i need to test more to find out. I put it on play back a little and even with no playback at the time, core 4 from my 8 core Mac Pro 3,1 will skyrocket and stay there until I inactivate the plug-in. This happens in both 10 and 11.

They all used to work perfectly fine before. Hope a fix is coming up soon, I feel like an idiot for trusting this stuff when I know damn well not to upgrade too fast for this very reason but I looked at posts before and people were saying it was running smoothly. I also tried 11.1.3 and get the same problem. Be careful out there folks.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoa View Post
my 8 core Mac Pro 3,1
So sorry but your computer is not on the PT11 compatibility cart and is actually specifically "not recommended"
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 07-16-2014, 09:46 AM

I experienced this error randomly last night on a film score session I'd been working on for hours in PTHD 11.1.3. All of a sudden, -9173 errors stopping the session from playing back. Pretty moderate session, CPU maybe hitting 20%. Computer all optimized with everything I could possibly find. So I started removing plugins by developer until I had confirmed that it was McDSP Revolver v 5.318 causing the issue.

But by chance, I was able to figure out that it was not actually the plugin causing the issue but some automation points on the output of the plugin. Once I deleted the automation, the plugin and the session operated as normal. This was not even automation I had just added. It had been there for a long time.

I hadn't seen this behavior before so I thought I'd mention it. I hope it helps some others with this irksome issue.

Producer//Mixer//Bassist//Composer

benrubin.com

------------
PT Ultimate 2024.3, Mac Studio M1 Max, 64Gb RAM, Mac OSX 13.6.4, SSD sample drive,
Neve 8816, HD Native Thunderbolt, (2) Lynx Aurora 16, Benchmark DAC-1/ADC-1
Old 07-19-2014, 04:42 PM

I have the exact same problem right now. I have 7 audio files loaded in protools with only one eq, and one chorus plugin enabled. My computer is simply the most powerful out there. There is no way a 3rd gen 8 core with 32gb ram is out of cpu with only 7 audio tracks with 2 stock plugins, and buffer setting at 512.

I wish i could actually work with protools. It's but nothing but pain so i;m stuck with logic now.
I'm at protools 11 native 11.3
Old 07-19-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinTaper View Post
As a developer, I can tell you that the most important thing needed when trying to fix a problem is to be able to reproduce the problem. That means when you post a possible bug, you should try to determing the "steps to reproduce". Often that involves installing and uninstalling various parts until it is fixed or breaks again. Since Pro-Tools is a complicated eco-system of software and plugins, there are many variables. There is no way any manufacturer can test all situations for all hardware and software.

In my line of work, if I cannot reproduce a bug - and the bug reporter refuses to help - that bug doesn't get my attention - and we mark it as "cannot reproduce" in our bug-tracking software. We're developers - not magicians. We have to prioritize. So far in this thread, I have not seen enough information to reproduce the problem - good luck getting that fixed - if it even is a "bug" at all.

-dan
Amen to this.

I've experienced the odd 9173 on small (1-2 track) sessions but if I go back to the start of the session and hit play all is well. Yet 50 to 60 track sessions don't have these issues. I have no wireless or internet going when working in PT, Spotlight is disabled, nothing goes to sleep.

I think part of the problem of trying to fix this is like you say - with all the various system setups out there it's difficult at best to get a handle on random bugs.The only way to stop these kinds of things is if Avid went the X-Box route where everyone has the same hardware. And we all know that ain't going to happen. Actually there is another way to take care of these things but then the code turns into bloatware and the testing matrix would be horrendous.

QAPLA!
Old 07-19-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasio View Post
I have the exact same problem right now. I have 7 audio files loaded in protools with only one eq, and one chorus plugin enabled. My computer is simply the most powerful out there. There is no way a 3rd gen 8 core with 32gb ram is out of cpu with only 7 audio tracks with 2 stock plugins, and buffer setting at 512.

I wish i could actually work with protools. It's but nothing but pain so i;m stuck with logic now.
I'm at protools 11 native 11.3
If you take ALL 3rd party plugins out of your plug in folder, reboot protools and repeat your 7 audio tracks with stock EQ and chorus is the problem still there?? Also I know it is just me but I don't trust any of the AIR stuff as core AVID plug ins even though they do ship with PT... FWIW I have not seen this issue on either my imac or my nMP system (yet

Also - Always state your system,
Computer hardware, OS Rev, PT rev and Interface.
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 07-19-2014, 10:47 PM

I've also had strange CPU spikes on sessions where I have very small amount of automation (like automating a mute button on single track) but no problems with sessions that have zero automation.

I would not hesitate to point my finger towards automation, because it has been changed dramatically on PT 11.0.0 (sample accurate automation) and I've seen other automation-related bugs too.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:42 AM

Now I'm having these issues more often than couple days ago. Just today I finished editing BV's on couple of songs. After lunch decided to bounce them. No luck -- PT 11.2.0 constantly 9173's on me even with all plugins disabled (bear in mind, these sessions ran just fine in the morning).