How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2013, 06:26 AM

Default Two important questions!

Hello,

I've begun to think about moving from Pro Tools to the new Logic X but a couple of things have sparked my interest to stay with Pro Tools.

I've been offered a free upgrade to Pro Tools 11, but as a dance music producer, it simply isn't acceptable (or even feasible) to just spend thousands of pounds re-purchasing all the plugins in the new AAX format, and even still, half of them aren't (and many won't) be converted from RTAS to AAX.

So my first question is whether the VST to AAX wrapper that Sugarbytes had made is now any closer to seeing the light of day, or even, god forbid FxPansion or anyone else are currently working on a wrapper or indeed anything that will alleviate this problem with the new plugin format. I simply cannot (and will not on principle alone) re-purchase all my old plugins just to suit Avid's new format.

My second question: with the new features introduced in PT11, has any feature been introduced to bounce stems (including real-time plugin effects and automation etc.) without having to go through the unbelievably monotonous chore of bussing everything to new audio tracks and manually recording them in? If such a feature remains elusive, it's safe to say I will be departing from this platform because it just isn't feasible to have to do that every single time when nearly every other DAW on the planet can render real time stems, including MIDI, automation and realtime plugin information.

Information on this will be really very helpful!

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2013, 06:33 AM

Default Re: Two important questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrun View Post
Hello,

I've begun to think about moving from Pro Tools to the new Logic X but a couple of things have sparked my interest to stay with Pro Tools.

I've been offered a free upgrade to Pro Tools 11, but as a dance music producer, it simply isn't acceptable (or even feasible) to just spend thousands of pounds re-purchasing all the plugins in the new AAX format, and even still, half of them aren't (and many won't) be converted from RTAS to AAX.

So my first question is whether the VST to AAX wrapper that Sugarbytes had made is now any closer to seeing the light of day, or even, god forbid FxPansion or anyone else are currently working on a wrapper or indeed anything that will alleviate this problem with the new plugin format. I simply cannot (and will not on principle alone) re-purchase all my old plugins just to suit Avid's new format.
No. This has been discussed here many times and Avid has made very clear that there isn't going to be any VST to AAX wrapper. The reason is because they want to keep the PT platform stable. You can use VST in Pro Tools by using something VEPro5 (which I'm told is great for that...don't use it myself, but search here for discussion on it) or using Reaper inside Pro Tools via Rewire. You can use many VST VI's that way and import audio files to Reaper inside PT to use VST plugs for processing and send the audio back out to PT via Rewire for final mixing.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:44 AM

There are new bounce options including, faster than realtime bounces, and some buss/stem/track options. I've not really used anything other than faster than realtime. It is nice. You can download a demo and try it yourself and see.

Also which plugs are you having to repurchase? I paid for a McDSP update, but that also included new features and other new formats. Waves is covered under WUP. And most others I have seen are either free or a nominal upgrade fee. I haven't seen any that you have to repurchase. And most of mine have been free upgrades.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:19 AM

Why do you think you need to re-purchase all your plugins?

Some companies have a small upgrade fee but most will be free.

Best
Old 08-05-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobogura View Post
Why do you think you need to re-purchase all your plugins?

Some companies have a small upgrade fee but most will be free.

Best
There are a lot of unknown plugs I use that simply aren't making the switch because of the yearly fee Avid wants to extract (which they can't afford) or they simply don't want to invest the time in changing format. I use hundreds of plugs, so nominal upgrade fees are just not doable at the moment for me.

@CME, these new bounce options - what are they? Every other DAW i've tried can simply render everything - MIDI, Automation, Real-time plugins to Audio without having to bus everything and manually record as a new wave file as in Pro Tools - does Pro Tools 11 bring this functionality?
Old 08-05-2013, 10:46 AM

I'm really not sure. I never tried them and my demo expired. It will be a while before I upgrade. But I know it's suppose to have options similar to track freeze. But again I never tried it. I was happy with bouncing the full mix at faster than real time speeds. :)