Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 02-19-2018, 08:08 AM

Default Avid releasing new product?

I'm seeing many dealers offer discounts on HDX systems is there something new coming out or is Avid running out of money?
Old 02-19-2018, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Avid releasing new product?

More like the latter, judging by the current stock price.

Also . . . HDX DSP plug-in development never really took off. Avid made it too difficult for 3rd-party developers to create a DSP version of their plug-in. The coding had to be started again from scratch with no porting/conversion options for the developer.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...sp-development

So nobody really wants to spend money on a card that is basically operating as a way to address your HD audio interface, and waste all that money on what are essentially useless DSP chips.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:51 PM

hmm so weird.. yet the guy selling a second hand HDX card on ebay got 2k GBP for it so 4k AUD..

retail here for a brand new card with warranty from avid certified dealer is 4.5k aud, in other words 4k real world price.. so, what he sold his second hand one for.

When i saw this sale end today, i was really concerned that hdx was holding too much value.

Whichever dealers are selling apparently so cheap, can someone guide me to one?

It might be worth going on a trip to the US for a week which i need desperately anyway, and picking up a HDX card and PT software activation.

I can fly for free i have so many miles. Zilch. Not one penny. 8 years since i have left melbourne unfortunately, last place was Abu Dhabi. Used to go to the US twice a year for 10 years straight.. miss the place..

if there are any bargains you know of at brick and mortar dealers please drop me a PM.. much appreciated.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post

Also . . . HDX DSP plug-in development never really took off. Avid made it too difficult for 3rd-party developers to create a DSP version of their plug-in. The coding had to be started again from scratch with no porting/conversion options for the developer.

So nobody really wants to spend money on a card that is basically operating as a way to address your HD audio interface, and waste all that money on what are essentially useless DSP chips.

I find this so fascinating.. and likely true, sadly.

Look at Sk note, makers of dirt cheap plugins including the aax dsp versions being dirt cheap where available..failing a kickstarter campaign to release AAX dsp plugins.. WOW.. they had just *8* backers. I literally only saw this 5 minutes ago and it shocked me.

That really says that aax dsp may not have taken off at all.. who wouldn't want SKNote plugins in dsp format? I would. wouldn't you, HDX users?

Then again his 30 grand goal might have been too ambitious.. as the 8 backers was 1700 of that.. so the buy ins might have been too high.

And still, Avid of course, MCDSP, Softube, plugin alliance, and even Sk Note after all that, have heaps of dsp plugins between them.

I wonder why Sk Note still went ahead, so determined to do it, and DID do it?

On another note I am very frustrated as avid's plug in finder tool where i could specify dsp only, seems to have disappeared.. so now that i want to know exactly what plugins are in DSP format, it's a very laborious time consuming process to do so, whereas had i checked previously i could have had them all in a list.

Do you guys and gals really think AAX DSP is dead or dying? Might be a real bad idea to invest in it then.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:06 PM

yea, haha...sony beta 'looked better'...... for about 6 months too!!!
Old 02-19-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post

Oh well, I thought something was going to happen since tomorrow is the deadline for the 20% sale. Avid doesn't look good at the present time and I wish they would just sell to Apple.
Yep, I had the feeling Avid would never support DSP but use as a good selling/marketing point for buyers.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corp View Post
Oh well, I thought something was going to happen since tomorrow is the deadline for the 20% sale. Avid doesn't look good at the present time and I wish they would just sell to Apple.
Yep, I had the feeling Avid would never support DSP but use as a good selling/marketing point for buyers.
deadline for 20% sale? Which sale? on HDX? wooooot???
Avid would never support dsp? Huh?

I admit i am stumped by your post.

but PLEASE do not sell it to Apple. Can you imagine? In a few months all windows users would be left in the dust like with Logic, only instead of 70 thousand users as Logic had, the situation would be a lot more dire this time, some with 10 thousand dollar computers that would become useless for future pro tools.
FORGET it. Please. Anyone but Apple. (or Gibson lol).

Maybe they need to get out of the hardware game, or simply start selling the systems at a more appropriate retail vs their cost, rather than the ginormous markup they currently have..

Maybe an integrated thunderbolt, fanless DSP solution..

BTW, read developer "sk note's" various posts.. he said if done properly, an aax dsp port is trivial. Literally. There's a whole bunch of information he has given on it. If a dev has intentions to release dsp plugins and codes them that way from the start, then all platforms, aax dsp/native/au/vst can be done with minimal extra effort.

When i asked waves for some info on soundgrid, they gave me a speel about how their plugins were too powerful for HDX dsp and why they decided against it LOL.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
deadline for 20% sale? Which sale? on HDX? wooooot???
Avid would never support dsp? Huh?

I admit i am stumped by your post.

but PLEASE do not sell it to Apple. Can you imagine? In a few months all windows users would be left in the dust like with Logic, only instead of 70 thousand users as Logic had, the situation would be a lot more dire this time, some with 10 thousand dollar computers that would become useless for future pro tools.
FORGET it. Please. Anyone but Apple. (or Gibson lol).

Maybe they need to get out of the hardware game, or simply start selling the systems at a more appropriate retail vs their cost, rather than the ginormous markup they currently have..

Maybe an integrated thunderbolt, fanless DSP solution..

BTW, read developer "sk note's" various posts.. he said if done properly, an aax dsp port is trivial. Literally. There's a whole bunch of information he has given on it. If a dev has intentions to release dsp plugins and codes them that way from the start, then all platforms, aax dsp/native/au/vst can be done with minimal extra effort.

When i asked waves for some info on soundgrid, they gave me a speel about how their plugins were too powerful for HDX dsp and why they decided against it LOL.
Yeah, not Apple! Oh my God, not Apple. The only two companies I can think of that could screw up ProTools as much as Avid has are Apple and of course Microsoft. Something's gotta happen but perhaps it will be that the board will finally get rid of Louis Hernandez. Avid got rid of their entire management team a couple of years ago EXCEPT for Hernandez, who is obviously clueless. Avid has market penetration most companies would kill for. It's gotta be true that all they've got to do is get some management that knows what they're doing, can end the war with their own customers that's been going on forever by fixing their products and not making endless stupid decisions, and they'd be in the cat bird seat. One can dream....
Old 02-20-2018, 03:07 AM

The same thing has been said about the last three CEOs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2018, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus5 View Post
Yeah, not Apple! Oh my God, not Apple. The only two companies I can think of that could screw up ProTools as much as Avid has are Apple and of course Microsoft.
While I would agree that seeing Pro Tools ending up in Apple's hands might not be a viable solution, I'd certainly not say that's because they'd screw it up. Logic has become one of the top DAWs today, thanks to Apple and what they did with LPX.