Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 10-02-2017, 01:44 PM

Default Does Codec Remain on QT Bounce?

I probably should know this but I want to verify. I have video I'm doing a score for and its in the Avid DNxHD codec. When I bounce the file to Quicktime to send to the VE for reference, am I correct that it remains in that codec? What would happen if I convert after bounce to H.264? I'm trying to hasten upload/download times is all. This is only so the VE gets an idea of how I'm putting the score together, so video quality is not an issue.

Thanks

Old 10-02-2017, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Does Codec Remain on QT Bounce?

Yes, bounce to Quicktime is basically an audio rewrap. The codec remains the same. I often keep 2 videos in my session: one in DNxHD for fast performance, and then if I want to bounce a screener, I switch to an H.264 version of the same video to make the bounce. Note that Pro Tools always uses the active video when bouncing to Quicktime.

Fed up with the limitations and slowness of my old software, I've started using Adobe Media Encoder and Telestream Switch to help get me through this stuff faster. Good luck!
Old 10-02-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Yes, bounce to Quicktime is basically an audio rewrap. The codec remains the same. I often keep 2 videos in my session: one in DNxHD for fast performance, and then if I want to bounce a screener, I switch to an H.264 version of the same video to make the bounce. Note that Pro Tools always uses the active video when bouncing to Quicktime.

Fed up with the limitations and slowness of my old software, I've started using Adobe Media Encoder and Telestream Switch to help get me through this stuff faster. Good luck!
That's what I thought. The original came to me in H.264, which I converted to DNxHD because, well, PT and H.264 can be iffy. So you're saying when I want to bounce a reference to delete the DNxHD version and import the original H.264 for the bounce to QT?

I know that on some prior projects where I didn't convert from H.264 (the version I was sent by the VE), I often had problems bouncing out...it would hang up, or freeze or what have you. SOmetimess took 2-3 attempts before the bounce worked.

But, that may be the best solution.

There's just TOO darn many codecs and wrappers out there! Pick 3 and go with it!

Old 10-02-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
So you're saying when I want to bounce a reference to delete the DNxHD version and import the original H.264 for the bounce to QT?
Right, except if you have PTHD you can just load it on another video track and switch the active video track. No need to delete.

OR, you can perform the audio rewrap in another app like Switch.

You're on Windows, so some of this is out of my depth.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Right, except if you have PTHD you can just load it on another video track and switch the active video track. No need to delete.

OR, you can perform the audio rewrap in another app like Switch.

You're on Windows, so some of this is out of my depth.
I'm not on HD, so I'd have to swap the video's out. But that's no big deal! Thanks so much for the tip, though. That'll make life easier!