Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2010, 10:56 PM

Default 96 IO "Max" Headroom.

Hello everyone.

A somewhat dumb question to which i think i already know the answer to... but thought i'd ask anyways.

I understand the 96IO is factory calibrated to 14db of headroom. Apparently this is not user adjustable... or so says the manual. Has anyone been able to adjust the headroom level on the unit? Are there trims hidden somewhere in the guts of the unit that'll let me change this?

Besides the usual "void the warranty" and "you might kill yourself" issues, anything else i should be worried about?

Thank you!

There are no carrots in carrot cake.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:41 PM

Default Re: 96 IO "Max" Headroom.

Bump

Old 03-04-2010, 09:44 PM

I think I saw that Black Lion has a mod but it might be only for 192s

I'm kind of surprised there haven't nbeen a slew of DIY I/O mods

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-04-2010, 10:32 PM

Heya Craig. Yup, checked the Black Lion site, thanks for that. They offer a full mod, changing the op amps and such. Not sure if that will do what i need...and anyways, the mod costs about $1400.. A bit much for what i need to do!

Looks like i'll be popping the hood on this thing. Lets see what kinda trouble i can get myself into. Won't be the first time.

Thanks again.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:46 AM

Can I ask what you're trying to adjust? If you're typically running at an op level of -18dBfs and you want an analog output of +4dBm balanced, that will leave you 14dB before everything craps! 18-4=14. You can't change the math.

If you don't do anything in the analog world, then there's no reason to be concerned, IMHO.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:02 AM

Heya Eric.

I've got 2 spare 96 IOs lying about. My studio is in the midst of a move, so i'm just trying to figure out what can go where. I'd like to slot in the 96 into a HD system i have running with 2 192IOs which are calibrated to -20DBFS=+4dBu=1.228V.

I know i can calibrate the 192s to the 96 levels using 'Trim B', but i'd rather not have to worry about yet another dialog box or setting. I'm just 'wired' that way. (mentally that is.) :)

Old 03-08-2010, 07:26 AM

This only has to do with the analog outputs. If you're running all of the analog outs to an external mixer, just compensate at the mixer. Your op level should remain the same, you just can't SLAM the outputs of the 96 like you can the 192 without clipping.

If you want more headroom, then you either have to upgrade the box to a 192 (better parts) or do the Black Lion (better parts). You just re-discovered "you get what you pay for".

MHO...
Old 03-08-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
... If you're typically running at an op level of -18dBfs and you want an analog output of +4dBm balanced, that will leave you 14dB before everything craps! 18-4=14. You can't change the math...
Small correction: A little confusion about operating level below peak and absolute level cal - the dBFS and dBu (we're not using dBm in constant voltage systems) numbers can't be simply intermixed: -18dBFS = 0VU = +4dBu implies +22dBu maximum level. Looks to me like the 96io is capable of +17dBu max out, so a -18dBFS = 0VU cal is inadvisable.

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 03-08-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
This only has to do with the analog outputs. If you're running all of the analog outs to an external mixer, just compensate at the mixer. Your op level should remain the same, you just can't SLAM the outputs of the 96 like you can the 192 without clipping.

If you want more headroom, then you either have to upgrade the box to a 192 (better parts) or do the Black Lion (better parts). You just re-discovered "you get what you pay for".

MHO...
Well aware this only affects the analog outputs Eric. I'd rather not compensate at the mixer, i prefer having my inputs on the console all set to the same level coming from all the Pro Tools outs. This would allow me to change outputs within pro tools and not be caught with mismatched levels going to the console. Also, i tend to never slam my outputs, i rarely, if ever exceed -10DBFS.

Agree with the old saying "you get what you paid for". Which is why i only paid for the 192s and this 96 is an additional unit i got from an old edit room. Was just trying to see if i could make it fit into my setup seemlessly. Guess not.