Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2023, 02:20 AM

Default Pro Tools 2023.12 Internal Dolby Atmos Renderer Questions and Setup Update

Hi guys,

This is a great step for Pro Tools, a lot of things are getting together now. But I remember I paid some money for the mastering suite then... and now it is inside the Pro Tools with just a click of an update.

Some silly questions here:
My current setup is using 2 machines 1 M-Chip Mac for running Pro Tools and another Intel-chip machine for running Dolby Atmos Renderer software. I am using 1 HDX + MTRX Studio (64 channels) and another HDX + 2*RedNet 5(32 channels + 32 channels) so I have the full 128 channels for the full Dolby Atmos. Then they all go to Dante Switch then they go to another computer that has the Focusrite PCIeR card for the Dante workflow.

please see the attachment for the single workflow

Pro Tools will be using HDX for playback with the hybrid engine.

1, One issue I have is that if I switch the toggle from bus to object in the audio track then there is no single routing back from my M-chip Mac, what would be the solution to route all of the single back from my Intel-Chip computer to my M-Chip computer, so I can hear sound both from bus and object?

2, With the internal renderer in Pro Tools, is that mean i no longer need the: 2* RedNet 5, 1 HDX card and the Focusrite PCIeR card, and the Intel-Chip Mac for doing the tedious renderer, i can just go with the Internal magic with HDX as playback engine?

3, Do I lose anything using the internal engine? (actually in this way both bus/object are working for my system)
With the MTRX Studio of 64-channel limitation, and using the internal renderer i can just ignore the 128 channels because of the internal renderer? is that correct? or I still need 2 HDX to max up to 128 for the full Dolby Atmos channel count? (I have tried to turn off both RedNet 5, I still have 128 channels in my session...)

Sorry, if all this sounds silly, but at some point 2 years ago, I thought I got all these figured out, but now I am back on the other side of the table.

Please help me to better understand the current workflow and I will be moving again, please help me to possibly reduce the gear that I no longer need for similar quality, this can save me from moving pain! Thank you in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unknown.jpg (44.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-15-2023, 04:22 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2023.12 Internal Dolby Atmos Renderer Questions and Setup Update

You should really take the time to read the documentation on the internal renderer as well as watch some very informative videos available. Both would answer all of your questions.

Without knowing what you do, specifically music, post, etc, with Atmos it would be difficult to determine if using just the internal renderer will work for you.

The short answer is the internal renderer works for mixing Atmos but it has limited features that the standalone renderer does have. Therefore, if you need some of those features, you’ll still need the external renderer.
Old 12-15-2023, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2023.12 Internal Dolby Atmos Renderer Questions and Setup Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
You should really take the time to read the documentation on the internal renderer as well as watch some very informative videos available. Both would answer all of your questions.

Without knowing what you do, specifically music, post, etc, with Atmos it would be difficult to determine if using just the internal renderer will work for you.

The short answer is the internal renderer works for mixing Atmos but it has limited features that the standalone renderer does have. Therefore, if you need some of those features, you’ll still need the external renderer.
aaa, I figured it out, it is a silly mapping issue I made in my previous template, and now the bus/object both are functioning.

I have checked some article and video, I would be interested to see if the internal renderer can meet my need! thanks for your time reading my post and share advice!
Old 12-15-2023, 07:51 PM

It takes me a little time to figure out where is the reply.

aaa, I figured it out, it is a silly mapping issue I made in my previous template, and now the bus/object both are functioning.

I have checked some videos and articles. i would be interested to see if the Internal renderer can meet what I need, this is great so I can use the HDX and the internal renderer together, the punch-in are still something i would need for fix here and there, I mostly work on post audio.

Thank you so much on reading my post and sharing your advice.