Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2011, 11:18 AM

Default HD Native On A MacBook Pro ?

Want to know if anyone else has successfully been using HD Native on a MacBook Pro using the Magma Express Buss to PCIe expansion chassis (rackmounted 1U) to host the card ?

Seems like it should work fine no prob, but just wanted to ask the real world users if this is a yay or nay situation ?

Also, if it is doable, and others are doing this fine with no hiccups, do you have any advice as to some quarks I would need to look out for ? Or any advice that would keep me from running into some work out-able issue that you ran across ?

Thanks in advance for your help --
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Any fool can complicate things;
It takes a genius to simplify them

Old 11-12-2011, 01:59 AM

Yeah I also want to know of it can be done via thunderbolt? I really need to update my MacBook and don't want to be stuck.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:54 AM

Default Re: HD Native On A MacBook Pro ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulette Records View Post
Want to know if anyone else has successfully been using HD Native on a MacBook Pro using the Magma Express Buss to PCIe expansion chassis (rackmounted 1U) to host the card ?

Seems like it should work fine no prob, but just wanted to ask the real world users if this is a yay or nay situation ?

Also, if it is doable, and others are doing this fine with no hiccups, do you have any advice as to some quarks I would need to look out for ? Or any advice that would keep me from running into some work out-able issue that you ran across ?

Thanks in advance for your help --
The Magma ExpressBox1 and ExpressBox1 Pro chassis are compatible with HD Native and the MBP 17". You connect the chassis through the ExpressCard/34 Host Card to the MBP's ExpressCard/34 slot.

If the Magma Thunderbolt chassis will be compatible is unknown yet. You may want to wait a few more weeks for an answer to that.

Oliver
Old 11-12-2011, 07:20 AM

The Magma won't be available until mid to late December, so there's no way to know just yet.

Sonnett has a similar PCIe to Thunderbolt chassis that's only 1 slot, and it won't be out until the end of January.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver M View Post
The Magma ExpressBox1 and ExpressBox1 Pro chassis are compatible with HD Native and the MBP 17". You connect the chassis through the ExpressCard/34 Host Card to the MBP's ExpressCard/34 slot.

If the Magma Thunderbolt chassis will be compatible is unknown yet. You may want to wait a few more weeks for an answer to that.

Oliver
Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
The Magma won't be available until mid to late December, so there's no way to know just yet.

Sonnett has a similar PCIe to Thunderbolt chassis that's only 1 slot, and it won't be out until the end of January.
Oh SNAP ! Thanks so much for the answers guys. And I wasn't even thinking about Thunderbolt for this.... This is a great idea. Is Thunderbolt faster than PCIe though ? Actually, I know that answer, it is. It is faster than "board level" components in the computer including the OS drive !!! LOL...

But my question is, after daisy chaining 6 items (for me 5 drives and 1 I/O interface) on this Thunderbolt connection.... Would it possibly be more efficient to leave the HD Card on another Bus, like the Express Card Bus ? Seems logical. I mean I could cut down to 4 drives, 1 I/O interface and then this expansion card chassis, so that would total 6 and work on the Thunderbolt path... BUT even though Apple is bragging about the bandwidth Thunderbolt has, I still am weary about putting ALL this there... why not spread it out ? The drives will be taking up A LOT of the bandwidth, then add the interface.... Hmmm

I will do it all Thunderbolt though IF I or someone could do the math a we figure that even with all my drives and the I/O interface on Thunderbolt that the HD Card still will have more free usable speed on the Thunderbolt path grouped with all them things vs it being by itself on the Express Bus path...

What do you think guys ?
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Any fool can complicate things;
It takes a genius to simplify them