Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2018, 02:33 PM

Default dynamic eq - range and compression ratio

Something I'm trying to wrap my head around ever since I got the demo of Fabfilter Pro Q3 and purchased Waves F6 - they both have range controls for reduction or expansion which I like. However my other 'dynamic eq' which is HOFA IQ-EQ doesn't have that control but does have a compression ratio control for the dynamics. Now I understand what the ratio control does for regular compression but what about in a dynamic eq usage? Doesn't make sense to me.

Is there some way to relate the functions to each other? Every time I think I have a handle on this the further I look at it I can't make the connection between the two methods with dynamic eq work. It may well be something simple but right now it's driving me to drink (thank you Mr. Beam & Mr. Daniels)

QAPLA!
Old 12-05-2018, 03:14 PM

Default Re: dynamic eq - range and compression ratio

Range puts a limit to the amount of compression regardless of the position of the threshold, for example you can reduce the threshold until the signal surpasses it by 50db but if range is set to -20db the compressor won't reduce more than 20db. It is different from ratio in that it allows you to reach further down with threshold while having a limited amount of gain reduction. Cytomic The Glue has both which I find quite useful, it has helped me reach the lower dinamic layers of some particularly problematic mixes without overcompressing the whole thing
https://youtu.be/mHhk3go-3qg
Old 12-05-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Something I'm trying to wrap my head around ever since I got the demo of Fabfilter Pro Q3 and purchased Waves F6 - they both have range controls for reduction or expansion which I like. However my other 'dynamic eq' which is HOFA IQ-EQ doesn't have that control but does have a compression ratio control for the dynamics. Now I understand what the ratio control does for regular compression but what about in a dynamic eq usage? Doesn't make sense to me.

Is there some way to relate the functions to each other? Every time I think I have a handle on this the further I look at it I can't make the connection between the two methods with dynamic eq work. It may well be something simple but right now it's driving me to drink (thank you Mr. Beam & Mr. Daniels)

Hi,

FF Pro Q and Sonnox Oxford dynamic EQ both have a dynamic range control, which is fundamentally the ratio, just doesn't have a ratio setting just a more or less, sets the target for the compression/expansion to reach. Just being a dynamic EQ i think they like to use the word dynamic range.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
Range puts a limit to the amount of compression regardless of the position of the threshold, for example you can reduce the threshold until the signal surpasses it by 50db but if range is set to -20db the compressor won't reduce more than 20db. It is different from ratio in that it allows you to reach further down with threshold while having a limited amount of gain reduction. Cytomic The Glue has both which I find quite useful, it has helped me reach the lower dinamic layers of some particularly problematic mixes without overcompressing the whole thing
https://youtu.be/mHhk3go-3qg
I already knew what range does/means and I know it's different from compression ratio. What I don't understand is how one dynamic eq has range and another has ratio and how if any do they relate to each other.

QAPLA!
Old 12-05-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

FF Pro Q and Sonnox Oxford dynamic EQ both have a dynamic range control, which is fundamentally the ratio, just doesn't have a ratio setting just a more or less, sets the target for the compression/expansion to reach. Just being a dynamic EQ i think they like to use the word dynamic range.

Chris
If dynamic range is fundamentally ratio how does one relate to the other? Some kind of conversion factor or what? That's what I can't figure out. It makes it difficult when trying to compare/contrast say the Pro Q3 and HOFA's IQ-EQ with near equal (or as close to equal as possible) settings on both. IOW how can I get equal results out of each without tuning by ear?

Does ratio even have a place in dynamic eq?

QAPLA!
Old 12-05-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I already knew what range does/means and I know it's different from compression ratio. What I don't understand is how one dynamic eq has range and another has ratio and how if any do they relate to each other.
Is a developer's choice. If you understand Range you will see why.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
If dynamic range is fundamentally ratio how does one relate to the other? Some kind of conversion factor or what? That's what I can't figure out. It makes it difficult when trying to compare/contrast say the Pro Q3 and HOFA's IQ-EQ with near equal (or as close to equal as possible) settings on both. IOW how can I get equal results out of each without tuning by ear?

Does ratio even have a place in dynamic eq?
Hi,

Yeah can be confusing for sure. Dynamic EQ or frequency conscious compression expansion. Much the same thing really. Freq conscious compression mostly uses ratio 2:1 / 4:1 / and so on except brainworx who just use factor (which technically is linear variable ratio) on their dynamic EQ, then the other dynamic EQs mainly use a range ha ha ha

Dynamic range really is just a more or less knob. Once it reaches the threshold set? how much compression or expansion do you want to apply? But unlike a ratio that will stick to its factor of 2:1 / 4:1 / 20:1 or whatever the ratio is set to, the range will just apply more or less depending on the input level. Um a bit like a linear ratio. Oh man let’s just close our eyes and if it sounds good then it is.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Hi,

Yeah can be confusing for sure. Dynamic EQ or frequency conscious compression expansion. Much the same thing really. Freq conscious compression mostly uses ratio 2:1 / 4:1 / and so on except brainworx who just use factor (which technically is linear variable ratio) on their dynamic EQ, then the other dynamic EQs mainly use a range ha ha ha

Dynamic range really is just a more or less knob. Once it reaches the threshold set? how much compression or expansion do you want to apply? But unlike a ratio that will stick to its factor of 2:1 / 4:1 / 20:1 or whatever the ratio is set to, the range will just apply more or less depending on the input level. Um a bit like a linear ratio. Oh man let’s just close our eyes and if it sounds good then it is.

Chris
Understood about the latter sentiment. But like I said it makes it difficult to compare two different pieces of s/w if they have the control differences I cite.

QAPLA!
Old 12-06-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Oh man let’s just close our eyes and if it sounds good then it is.
Best answer