Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2000, 12:11 AM

Default Need advice: 88x/16 interface

Hello gang. I've got one of those imfamous 882/16 interfaces connected to a NuBuss PTProject system. Tonight I was getting the rig ready for the first solo piano recording I've attempted to do directly into the system, and was dismayed to discover that when listening extra-carefully the 882/16 was even worse than I remember.

Specifically I have two big gripes/problems:
1) The famous low-level "chittering" problem -- I saw someone else describe it as sounding like a "spinkler head"
2) Tonight I noticed some SCSI chatter was getting recorded when using the analog ins on the 882.

Those problems are in addition to low-grade sound quality, which I didn't expect to be great for the original price (but was expecting better than it is...).

Right, enough griping, here's what I need help with. I'm considering looking for a used 888/16. My questions are:

1) Can anyone confirm that the 888/16 will give me a performance upgrade -- no extranious noises such as SCSI chatter, chittering or other garbage.
2) Aside from the garbage, will the converters on the 888/16 sound better than the 882/16
3) Could someone confirm that my only options for a PTProject NuBuss are the 88x/16 series? (For example, an 882/24 would not work w/ this system, right?)

BTW, A Rosetta won't work for me because I need to clock to video, (otherwise I'd just stick a DAT machine at the front and feed the 882 via S/PDIF) and I can't afford a PSX-100.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Ken Lacouture
Old 06-21-2000, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Need advice: 88x/16 interface

The 888/16 is a significant sound improvement over the 882/16. I don't know about the jitter problem, but I have compared them and there is a big difference.

Also, there are a lot of cheap 24 bit converters on the market besides the Rosetta (with the pesky clock out only deal)-- check out sweetwaters catalog, I can't think of any off hand. This would provide 24 bit input to your 882/16, and even though isn't top line like a PSX-100 or even a Rosetta, will be better than an 888/16 (if you only need 2 good inputs, that is).
Old 06-21-2000, 04:12 PM
Avid

Default Re: Need advice: 88x/16 interface

kenlac,
1-The A/D covnerters on the 888 I/O are actually 18 bit. This interface is significantly more quiet than the original 882 I/O. However, SCSI chatter in the audio originates inside the computer due to improper grounding rather than from the interface. Make sure that the outlet that you have the computer plugged into has a good earth ground. Try cleaning any dust (which posesses an electrical charge) from the card with somne compressed air and try a different NuBus slot. Lastly, screw in the tab of the Project card so it is making contact with the chassis of the computer.

2-Yes, the 888 I/O will sound better than the 882 I/O

3-You are correct, the 888/24 and 882/20 interfaces are not compatible with the PT Project NuBus hardware.

Brent