Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 11-28-2011, 02:45 PM

Default Locate Cursor To Start Of Region/Edit Selection

I have been hunting for the key command to locate the playback cursor to the start of a region/edit selection and can't find it. To clarify, I do not want to loop select, or split the cursor over, the whole region in the way it does by default with link timeline/edit selection or by pressing the o key in keyboard focus mode. I have figured how to play from start of edit selection/region in various ways, but hunt as I may I can't find a way to set the cursor there for quick focus on a time location. When I use link timeline/edit selection or play from the start of edit selection, after playing through selection the cursor gets left following the edit selection/region rather than before and this is no help for me lining up other regions, syncing, or just focusing in on a point to edit.

Anyone help with this? It's slowing me down.

Thanks!!!
Old 11-28-2011, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Locate Cursor To Start Of Region/Edit Selection

I don't get what the problem is? With timeline/edit sel linked, playback will start from the selection start when you hit space. Unlinked, you can place the playback cursor wherever you want, and start playback from there.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:10 PM

Thanks for the reply!!! I want to be able to select a region and snap the cursor to it's start point without playing through the selection or splitting the cursor in two over the entire length of the region. Want the start point of the selection to be the point the cursor snaps to, not the whole area the region covers. When the cursor splits in that way it complicates simple movements.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:28 PM

You know what, it's fine. I found a way to work with it. If I have the grid set to a single frame in timecode I can click a frame earlier or later with the 1 and 2 keys on the numeric keypad and nudge the cursor. In this way I can zero in and the cursor comes back together as a single point.

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2011, 05:32 PM

I would turn off Tab to transient (Ctrl+Alt+Tab), and then Tab to move forward by region boundaries, and Alt+Tab to move backwards.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:39 PM

Ahhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love that one!!!! Thank you much!
Old 11-28-2011, 05:43 PM

One more while I have you here: what's the key command to snap regions to the cursor? Can I select multiple regions on multiple trax and use a key command to snap 'em?
Old 11-28-2011, 11:05 PM

On Mac it's Ctrl+click with the grabber to snap a region to the cursor. On PC that would be Start+click? Read the fabulous manual for specifics.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:15 PM

Thanks, Stig. I hunted around and found out that "h" snaps a region to the cursor in Windows. Handy indeed. Just moved to Pro Tools and finding a flow. Miss the simple zoom in Logic. The way you could drag over multiple regions/tracks and then revert to previous view was a very quick flow. Pro Tools marquee is constrained to one track it seems. Adjusting my habits. There are obviously alternative moves to get used to. For instance Zoom Toggle to get in, or the "alt + f" to "ctrl + start + down/up arrow" move that works in the marquee zoom from Logic's place. To get back out to a full session view I "alt + a" and "ctrl + start + alt + down/up arrow." Keystroke intensive workaround. I imagine with time my methods will change.

Bests,

Josh
Old 11-29-2011, 10:21 AM

I have the zoom toggle preference set to Fit to window, so I use the Selector tool to drag across the tracks/regions I wanna look closer at, and hit E.