Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2004, 10:47 AM

Default Clarifying a Muddy Bass Guitar

I recorded a band over the weekend in a TV studio. They played live. Anyway, I made a rookie mistake (and I assure you, I'm no rookie and know better) by not monitoring the direct line from the bass. I recorded it, but because of a hurried set-up never actually soloed it to make sure it sounded allright.

The result was the classic problem of a muddy bass that has lots of low frequency content but fails to cut through the mix. I've tried the classic solution of rolling off the lows, which helped a little. I also tried creating a fairly wide mid range boost, compressing it hard and adding it back into the mix. Again, it helped a little more, but there just wasn't that much mid range to work with. I also tried compressing fairly hard but with about a 70 ms attack to let the thump through. I'm still not satisfied.

What I want is more articulation of the individual notes; I've got plenty of deep low end. It's those first 50 to 80 milliseconds I'm trying to get to cut through the mix. Does anyone have ideas?

Please feel free to suggest things you know might not (or even probably won't) work, but are at least worth giving a try. I'll give them a shot.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Clarifying a Muddy Bass Guitar

Many things you can try, some radical, some not. Don't be afraid of the radical, though. The first thing to try is adding some high mids, anywhere from 1k to 4k and see how that works. You might also have some success with the Sans Amp, Amp Farm, Chrome Tone, any of the above distorto plugs just to add some schwaa in the tonal information department. Good luck. By the way, I always will record a good sounding amp over a DI. Just me, I guess....
Old 10-12-2004, 11:47 AM

2nd the above suggestions. Also try running the signal through a bass amp and micing it.
Definitely try sansamp/amp farm or the like.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:31 PM

A nice and tight not very colored compressor (focusrite for example) with medium attack and a fast release and an Eq lowering between 100k to 250k ( depending on the key of the tune) with somewhat broad Q should also help.
Keep in mind that you can always use a frequency analyzer (waves or Inspector) to "see" where the muddiness actually is.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:38 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I should add that I did augment the DI with a RODE NTK on the cab, and it sounded good (better than the DI), but since this was a live performance there was quite a bit of leakage on that mic, especially from the drums. It is useable in the mix, but because of the leakage any attempt to process it seems to bring out the drum kit more than the bass itself, so I really have to use it as it is.

I had tried Amplitube, but not the other two modelers, so I'll give them a try. I really like the re-amping idea, though. I hadn't even though of that and it just might work.

Thanks, guys, for the suggestions. Any others?
Old 10-12-2004, 02:22 PM

A few simple tricks to try:
1. use the sideband C1 compressor but use it as an expander (<1 compression)
Keep the attachs slow like you have it
2. limit the H~E~double~L out of it, I mean -30 on the L2 or L3.
3. R~Bass and/or MaxBass tweeked to the hilt
4. careful on the EQ... Do not try to make it sound right in solo, make sure you tweek it in the mix or, at least, with it's companion drum or other rythm instruments.