Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2011, 11:04 PM

Default Unable to locate Digidesign Hardware

I just updated 8.01 to 8.1.1 and now when I launch PT I get this error message:
"Unable to locate Digidesign Hardware. Make sure hardware is turned on. Click OK when hardware is ready."

I'm using Aurora 16 and always have for the past few years with no problems whatsoever until this very update.

Is there a way to make PT recognize the Aurora?

I have tried to reboot the computer, did that after the install. Nothing helps.

All the connectors are firmly in the slots they should be.

What's going on?
Help please..........!!!

GD
Old 03-11-2011, 11:49 PM

Default Re: Unable to locate Digidesign Hardware

I just tried to re-install 8.1.1 and towards the beginning of the install I got this:

" Unknown error occurred in \ copyinf.cpp at line number: 397
Other error: -536870333 internal operation: 200 "

Anyone know how to fix this problem?
I assume the first error, which happens during PT's launch is somehow driver related.
I'm seeing errors for the first time ever when I go to Computer>Properties>Device Manager.
Everything under "Other Devices" has an error associated with it and "Other devices" is open as opposed to be closed when things are OK.

Would greatly appreciate any input on this.
Is there a way to change the drivers?
I'm using Win7 64 bit and this is PT HD2

Thanks

GD

GD
Old 03-12-2011, 11:03 AM

OK, I tried to reinstall 8.1.1 and during the install when they want me to turn on the Digidesign hardware I turn it on, the Auroroa 16 that is, and they continue with the installation just fine. In other words they recognize it during the install.
However after the install and when I launch PT I still get the No Hardware Error.

Here is a link to a screen shot of it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22867019@N02/5520541796/

What could be going on here?

GD
Old 03-12-2011, 02:51 PM

Hey GD,
I'm not in front of our rig right now, but 2 things come to mind.

1) Sounds like you need to update your drivers for the Digi cards. To do this, click on each of the "other devices" and choose "update drivers". It'll give you an option to "search online" or "specify a search location". Choose "specify" (and here's where not being in front of my rig is a pita) and point it to the digi "drivers" folder. I THINK it's in applications/digi/pro tools/etc... but don't quote me on that.

2) it could be a faulty digilink cable. Since you have an HD2, try stripping back to just HD1 and use the other digilink cable (the one that previously was going to your accel/process card)

sorry so sketchy on driver locale. when I'm back in the studio later tonight, I'll double check the directory for ya'...
HTH!

MacPro 7,1; 16 core OSX 13.5.2
PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad
Old 03-12-2011, 02:59 PM

I just tried to reset the Aurora to factory settings and reinstalled PT and I'm still getting that same message.

HELP!!!!

GD
Old 03-13-2011, 09:57 AM

Pull one card and just fire up the Core card and then move it to the other slot and try again. There as well should be no Yellow marks in any of the hardware config window.

I voted at www.deardigi.com
Old 03-13-2011, 11:25 AM

What's weird though is that PT recognizes all hardware when it asks me to turn it on during the install.

Also one note, I uninstalled 8.1.1 and everything before it and reinstalled 8.0 after installing 8.0 I had no problems and no yellow marks in the hardware config window.
Then once I installed the 8.1 update all the stuff started again and the yellow marks were back.

It's weird that I can run 8.0 ok but once I do any upgrades from it to 8.1 nothing works.
When I run the DigiTest it seems to come back OK and PT 8.0 recognizes both HD cards when I launch it and I can use both in playback.

Does that tell you anything?

If I got PT 9 would I have the same problems?

Thanks

GD
Old 03-13-2011, 06:13 PM

Hey GD,

Quote:
Is there a way to change the drivers?
I'm using Win7 64 bit and this is PT HD2
Let's try this again....

Quote:
1) Sounds like you need to update your drivers for the Digi cards. To do this, click on each of the "other devices" and choose "update drivers". It'll give you an option to "search online" or "specify a search location". Choose "specify" ...
The pathway is:
Local Disk/Program Files (x86)/Digidesign/Drivers...

Have you done this yet?
Also, did you try updating the drivers when you got to 8.1 (BEFORE updating to 8.1.1)?
Lastly, did you get a "digital signature not recognized for drivers" error msg. when you upgraded? I'm curious b/c I don't know if this is an 8.1.1 thing, OR if it's a product of using Acronis to clone my Sata Sys drive to an SSD.

I just updated to 8.1.1 myself and lost all my drivers because of a "digital signature not recognized for drivers" error msg. ...it looks like it may have torched the driver sig...
No biggy, I'll just reinstall the old drive, but I'd like to get the OS on an SSD...
AND I'd like to understand WHY I'm getting this error message. Couldn't find anything in Knowledgebase...

Anyhoo, I digress, let me know if you tried it at 8.1.

PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad
Old 03-13-2011, 09:34 PM

Quick update:
put the old drive back in, did the driver update and pointed it to the old drive's "driver" folder, and Voila'! Back in biz...
Keepin' my SSD !

PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad
Old 03-13-2011, 11:03 PM

" The pathway is:
Local Disk/Program Files (x86)/Digidesign/Drivers...
Have you done this yet?"

First of thanks a lot for getting back with me on this, I greatly appreciate your help.

Yes I tried that but it didn't help.
Never got rid of the yellow marks in Device Manager and I kept getting the "Unable to locate Digidesign Hardware" message.

"Also, did you try updating the drivers when you got to 8.1 (BEFORE updating to 8.1.1)?"

No I most certainly did not. I though all I had to do was to download any new updates and just install them.
Never realized I had to do this before.

Could you please tell me how to go about getting those drivers and I'll try to install those first then the 8.1.1 software.

" Lastly, did you get a "digital signature not recognized for drivers" error msg. when you upgraded? "

No, I never got this message.

The funny thing is that I uninstalled all the updates from 8.0-8.1.1 and reinstalled PT 8.0 and it ran OK then I tried to update it to 8.1 and immediately got the "unable to locate hardware" message. I suppose that's because I didn't upgrade the drivers first.
I then uninstalled 8.1 again and reinstalled 8.0 and was able to update it to 8.0.1 and am now running it.
Would like to be able to go up to 8.1.1 but I don't dare updating past 8.0x because once I got to 8.1 I immediately got the message.

Could you please tell me how to do the drivers first.
I'll try that and see how it works.

Thanks again for your help.

GD