Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2005, 10:51 AM

Default Plug ins vs. Hardware Reverbs

Hi All,
Long time since I posted.
I have my Digi 002 studio up and running and things are going great.
My twin trac pre and blue mic are fantastic, and I love the blue sky monitors. Thanks to all for your previous help!

Q
Are plug ins as good as hardware when it comes to reverb? I was planning on purchasing a Lexicon MPX1 but am now considering plugin to save on I/O's.
What is better?
What is a good /excellent quality Plug in for reverb.
I would like to keep by budget to $1000.00 CDN.

Quality is my goal!!!
Old 03-02-2005, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Plug ins vs. Hardware Reverbs

I've weighed the difference many times between the IR-1 and the MPX1... Hands down, the MPX1 is better and more versitile. For one, no CPU and I gain 2 DSPs. Lexicon is known for their 'sound' and their years in the business shows in the quality of their signature reverbs. Search the DUC and you will find several recent posts and threads on the very question you ask. BTW... unless you are hooked on the SPDIF interconnect, also check out the MPX-G2. A nice guitar processor with a built in Pre and some great amp modelers. The specs are a little better than the MPX1 also. Either unit will work with their MPX-R1 stomp box/pedal. I have a few reservations about the MPX550 though as is doesn't sound quite as natural. it is 48khz compatable and a few $100 cheaper. Also, be on the lookout for a new product, the MX200. This is a hardware FX unit that will be USB linked and works as a VST plugin. Should be on Lexicon's page very soon.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:57 PM

I agree that Lexicon generally has smoking verbs even in their cheapest boxes(at least great for the money). I've also been happy with a TC Electronics M-ONE XL patched to the SPDIF I/O on my 002. I usually rely on Waves Rverb and TrueVerb for most stuff though as my system seems to handle the load okay. The new Lex unit looks to be very interesting.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-02-2005, 11:45 PM

I'm actually quite happy with Altiverb. I haven't really felt a need to use my MPX110 or even go shopping for anything else. It's a lot easier on the CPU than the Waves IR1.

I have PCM 60,70,80 and 90 IRs. I also have TC3000 IRs and Lexicon 480 and 960 IRs, two different EMT plates, a few studio recording rooms, plus dozens of other rooms, halls and cathedrals - even a couple of bathrooms and garages if you want a trashier sound.

You can download a demo from audioease and play around with it. Just remember that there are TONS of extra IRs you can download (most are free) once you purchase it.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:10 AM

HI,

if you don´t mind to make youre reverb simple and offline you should check this FREE AS
IR reverb:

http://duc.digidesign.com/favlinker....r=&postmarker=

otherwise the Sony Oxford Reverb is REALLY nice and you get a FREE plug-in from them til the end of March.

regs
Old 03-03-2005, 08:06 AM

Runner,
This is a good topic... I find that I use my Lexicon PCM-90 all the time. It is fairly easy to use, and sounds awesome. I however use TrueVerb alot though too. Layered reverbs for different builds and effects. The hardware verbs have a warmer feel to me, and really open the mixes, but the digital ones have a sense of crispness that is nice to have as well. Hence the layering. My thing was this... I have a lot of outboard gear and fx. I bought the Rosetta 800 to utilize all inputs and outs of my 002. Now able to handle 18 inputs and 18 channels of outboard PRE it is nice. You track, get your sounds, then parch in to get all your analog gear. I have an Eventide H-3000 D/SE and some other stuff that I can get in. It is a good thing, and I like to not have to rely so much on plug ins. Keeps that analog feel, and warmth but the clarity of digital. So, I guess what I am getting at is sometimes it is nice to have outboard gear to keep it real, and warm sounding.

Hope this helps?

- Doc

NEW TBR STUDIO

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 03-07-2005, 01:40 AM

Hi

I recently got myself an Eventide Eclipse, because I was tired of the coldness and sterile sound of most "stock" reverb plug ins: to me they still aren't there, maybe for some simple tasks they can do it, but when you need the reverb to be warm, and enevloping...well, hardware units still win hands down, no questions. I have the Eclipse and my older Lexicon MPX-1 hooked up digitally to the 002R and they both sound great (the Eclipse hooked up via ADAT, the Lex via Spdif when working at 44.1), so I save a ton of DSP and I get a better sound, they really open the mix up.
The only plug in reverbs I consider usable are IRs, but they are CPU hogs, and you are limited with the impulses, you really have to sample some of your own, or use the stock ones which aren't very tweakable; I'm planning to get Gigapulse though, and run it on a secon older PC hooked up to the 002R via lightpipe just as a normal outboard reverb, should be good for surround applications.
To me using some real hardware outboard (even dynamics and EQ) with plug ins is the best of both worlds.
I'm planning to get a third unit (maybe a TC M3000) and a digital patchbay from Z-sys that will allow me to use the 8 ADAT I/O of the 002R to patch all processors and remain digital all the way through, that should be a nice and versatile setup.

L.G.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:10 AM

I've got an MPX100 but never really messed w/ the reverb... do you guys think it would be better than the std D-Verb plug?

chris
1024mb DDR PC3200
Maxtor 40gb System and 60gb Audio drives
www.millicentfriendly.com
Old 03-07-2005, 08:56 AM

Yes. I have an MPX110 and it sounds WAY better than D-Verb.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:31 AM

cool, I'm looking forward to trying it out when I get home.
1024mb DDR PC3200
Maxtor 40gb System and 60gb Audio drives
www.millicentfriendly.com