Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-1998, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Dissapointed !!!!!! SDII & D24

PT certainly has some way to go to match SDII for classical stereo editing. I must have the ability to adjust region boundaries and crossfade parameters in one dialogue. With PT you have to delete the crossfade before you can adjust the boundaries - far too long-winded. In the meantime, if we could open SDII playlists in PT it would be a big step forward.
Old 06-28-1998, 04:02 PM

David,

I think you've made your point!

Best regards,

Will Thomson.
Old 08-11-1998, 08:24 PM

Sure am disappointed to learn that my trusted scalpel SDII 2.82 does not get recogonized by the PT 24 upgrade. Also it was used extensively in Digital Performer as a waveform Editor. Now I loose on two accounts !!!! It is indeed sad to see that Digi is not supporting this popular editing software, whatever the reasons. Having a wide user base and customer support and demand should be enough to keep it up-to-date. Tomorrow they might start to discontinue PT as well and say " Hey we think Sonic Solutions is a better options. Try that ....." What then for all the supportive, happy users of PT all over the world !!! I surely am very disappointed with this attitude.
Old 08-12-1998, 08:24 PM

I'm still suffering from the loss. Every file I double click searches for the poor, lost program. And Peak has to redraw the waveform - VERY time consuming, even on the fastest Mac. My SampleCell suffers too.

Digi - can a PCI Audiomedia 3 fit on the same Mac as the PT24? I have the 6 slotted Power Tower Pro 250. (With no extra slots!) Any hope?
Old 08-17-1998, 05:04 PM

Dear Digidesign,

Thanks for finally giving us the low down as to why SDII can't be upgraded. What about considering dropping some of the original sampler support from the SDII code e.g. loop points? Maybe this would leave enough space to add the necessary code to enable Plug-In functionality under PCI etc. It might be that most users, like ourselves, very rarely use the sampler-orientated stuff and would gladly sacrifice these functions for an upgraded version of SDII. No other changes e.g. appearance, are necessary apart from third party Plug-In functionality under PCI - SDII's fine as it is!
Old 08-18-1998, 08:27 PM

I hate to drone on about this, but just to drive the nail all the way in:
Make a new product. Combine the best of SDII and MLCD. Give SDII and MLCD owners an upgrade path and make the ultimate stereo TDM/DAE Sound Mastering and Editing tool. Make it fully interactive with ProTools.
An alternative: Incorporate stereo editing into ProTools (a special type of track) and add Masterlist as some kind of extension. Then we could master completely within ProTools and not have to bounce out tracks wasting Hard Drive space.
Old 08-18-1998, 08:57 PM

Mark W- I really hope digi can see what you've written. Those are some of the best ideas for upgrading pro tools that i've heard. Keep 'em coming.

Electrox-
Tho it is not "officially" supported, yes you can have an AMIII card in the same computer as a D24 card. Pro Tools will always launch and only see the D24 card- but when you launch SDII it will see the AMIII card. The best of both worlds.............
A friend told me of this because I was unwilling to try it. Well i'm happy to say that once again i'm sample editing in pro tools.
Old 08-25-1998, 08:02 PM

Thanks, carlone! I was told this could not be done by sales person at Digi. Now for the price of a card and a pci chassis...
Old 08-30-1998, 12:06 AM

The ability to write a CD directly from a Pro Tools session, just as in a Sonic Solutions' system, would make Pro Tools perfect for my main business of Editing and Mastering. Since this has not happened for many years, and now with the 24-bit system's lack of compatibility with Sound Designer, I have had to set up my Pro Tools system in a most unconventional manner to have the two coexist together.

I have a 16-bit card with an 888 I/O running in the same computer (a PowerTower Pro 200) as my 24-bit system. I have the 24-bit card, two DSP Farm cards, one video card, then the 16-bit card, and lastly, my Adaptec Fast & Wide SCSI card in that order. I have MasterList CD's and Sound Designer's Hardware Setup assigned to the 16-bit card. I’m sure this is not Digidesign approved or recommended. I absolutely needed Sound Designer, so this is what I came up with. I first tried to integrate an AudioMedia III card, but it’s lack of AES/EBU digital I/O and trying to get a proper S/PDIF to AES/EBU converter made it difficult to integrate with the rest of my AES/EBU only system. I figured it was just easier to use my old Pro Tools box and a card. I still had my 888 interface, so I just bought a used card, and away I went. It’s been working great for the past six months!

Now, on to the way it should be: MasterList CD as a TDM Plug-in or even better, as a built-in function of the Pro Tools application. This would eliminate the need all together for Sound Designer for me. Way back before there was MasterList CD, I suggested track and index placement flags or markers within a session and the ability to move them around to create a PQ-coded Compact Discs directly from within Pro Tools. What ever happened to that suggestion. Does anybody else see the advantage (or disadvantage) of this???

DIGIDESIGN, I HOPE YOU ARE READING THIS!!!

Joe Privitelli / Forty-Four One
Old 08-31-1998, 08:48 PM

We too were sad to hear about the loss of SDII but considering how old the code is I understand Digi's position completely.Might I suggest using Peak (they offer a nice upgrade path from SDII or Alchemy). Peak will shortly be releasing their DAETDM version and it will also be able to master to CDs. I think it's swell. I suggest that you get the shareware app called "Default App" which allows you double click on Sound Designer files and have Peak open them. Might also want to res edit their icon for SD files as they have their own rather ugly icon which for those of us used to the old digi icon is rather confusing. Hope this sheds a little happiness on the situation.

Kevan