Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-1999, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Buffer Underrun Errors

Yeah I know that it might not help. Hopefully it's the drive itself. I don't know how it could be anything else. It would be nice to have a faster drive too. we'll see what happens. I'll let you know when I get the drive back what the story is. If it works fine with no underruns, I'm set. If it still has problems, I don't know.

Steve

[This message has been edited by spandol (edited 10-04-99).]
Old 10-05-1999, 05:28 AM

I don't know if this helps...i have a 400t ext..the fan had stopped working and after a couple of burns it used to crash(and burn ;->

------------------
Old 10-09-1999, 12:32 AM

I have a Yamaha 400 external on an ATTO dual channel card.
I began having various fatal error/underrun with a variety of error codes. I thought my drive was bad. I upgraded to latest yamaha driver and cleaned the laser, stopped getting errors for a while. Then errors began again a couple days ago, sporadic. I am using MLCD 2.2. I went to Staples and bought some Sony CDR disks and they worked fine so far. But I am confused as to how to decipher all this. But the bottom line seems to be that some media is less than reliable.
Old 10-11-1999, 11:03 AM

Most CD recorders prefer certain types of media over other ones -- it's always a good idea to use media that the manufacturer recommends -- some of them may mention specific media recommendations on their web site.

-- Marc
Old 10-11-1999, 02:36 PM

my issue with media types may or may not be true. I was going OK again with Sony (blue dye) then I tried the Apogee silvers (gold dye) and once again failures:
"fatal error occurred while recording:
03, 0C, 0a Diek Write Aborted"
I have the Yamaha CDR 400t version 1.0q
It will still burn the blue dye Sony's fine... Go Figure
Old 10-11-1999, 06:28 PM

Well after thinking it was the media, I went to Yamaha site, checked their recommended list and bought one of the recommended media brands (in this case TDK) altyhough I have used Mitsui etc. before Anyway I burned two disks fine then the same fatal error code as listed above, obviously this is not media related. If you like I can take this to a new thread. Maybe there is an issue with my ATTO card or configuration of the SCSI card? The strange thing is it seems to work fine for a while then suddenly problems. Maybe the drive is just old..I am perplexed.
Incidently all this started around the time I upgraded to 8.6. I cringe at the idea of downgrading, but...
Old 10-12-1999, 10:15 AM

Strange. But do the Sony and other CD-R's still work OK?

-- Marc
Old 10-12-1999, 10:48 PM

Hey Marc,

I got my burner back. Did 5 test runs and 1 real run. No problems. Hope this keeps up. Though I have heard a couple of bad things about the drive I have. That they are just bad quality. One guy I met at a Pro Tools demo last week, who had the same problems as I did, got sick of sending it in for repair. He ending up switching to a Yamaha 4416 and said its great. Another guy who works retail said the Philips drives always come in for repairs. Anyhow, I'm just passing information. At least the drive is working at this time. I'll let you know if anything changes

Steve

[This message has been edited by spandol (edited 10-12-99).]
Old 10-15-1999, 12:28 AM

Great! Hope it continues to work for you.

Thanks for reporting back, so we can all learn from your experience.

-- Marc