How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > RTAS & TDM Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2014, 01:53 AM

Default Q-Clone performance best in PT?

Howdy fellow Pro Tools Users,

First of all, I'm really glad to have gotten here: this community seems to be great opportunity to keep in touch with other Pro Tools users and share invaluable information / experiences. I for my part haven't been much of a forum person so far but I really like how topics trend to progress around here, unlike GS.

Anyways, my remark, especially from my point of view, being a Logic long time user, is that PT 10's performance on Q-Clone is tremendous. I'm running on a dual quad core 2.8 GHz 3.1 mac pro and sessions can be literally stuffed with it. Whereas in Logic 9, couple of stacked Q-Clone channels spank my CPU like nobody's business. Does PT have really such a better optimization for this Plugin / Waves Plugins in general? Because I'm beyond excited and shocked how good Pro Tools performs, granted that I'm still on the older version 10 (I do have 11 too but can't use it unless I shift gears to Mavericks.

What is your take on the whole matter? Have you experienced the same thing? Please let me know, I'm really curious to find out.

Mike
Old 05-22-2014, 07:12 AM

Default Re: Q-Clone performance best in PT?

11 does not require mavericks.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
11 does not require mavericks.
Yeah but I'm still on Snow Leopard since Lion was sloppy as hell.

I'd really love to upgrade to Mavericks but I don't know how well my Mac's gonna perform compared to Snow Leopard. Given how good the new Avid Audio Engine runs, supposedly even much better in PT11, I cannot wait to make the transition. Because when you move forward, you might as well go all the way and make the leap. If I don't really benefit from the transition a whole, I'd rather stick with SL and try to make the best out of it, which is PT10.

Still, I'd love to hear someone's opinion on my Q-clone experience.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticmike View Post
Yeah but I'm still on Snow Leopard since Lion was sloppy as hell.

I'd really love to upgrade to Mavericks but I don't know how well my Mac's gonna perform compared to Snow Leopard. Given how good the new Avid Audio Engine runs, supposedly even much better in PT11, I cannot wait to make the transition. Because when you move forward, you might as well go all the way and make the leap. If I don't really benefit from the transition a whole, I'd rather stick with SL and try to make the best out of it, which is PT10.

Still, I'd love to hear someone's opinion on my Q-clone experience.
Can't help with q clone except to say that pt11 performance for me is noticeably better than 10 all around including plugin counts.

An idea...

Clone your boot drive with carbon copy cloner and try mountain lion or mavericks. If its not working well go back to your old cloned snow leopard. I haven't gone to mavericks, running PT11 (10 too but haven't used it in months) very well on 10.8.5 so no reason to.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Howdy fellow Pro Tools Users,

First of all, I'm really glad to have gotten here: this community seems to be great opportunity to keep in touch with other Pro Tools users and share invaluable information / experiences. I for my part haven't been much of a forum person so far but I really like how topics trend to progress around here, unlike GS.

Anyways, my remark, especially from my point of view, being a Logic long time user, is that PT 10's performance on Q-Clone is tremendous. I'm running on a dual quad core 2.8 GHz 3.1 mac pro and sessions can be literally stuffed with it. Whereas in Logic 9, couple of stacked Q-Clone channels spank my CPU like nobody's business. Does PT have really such a better optimization for this Plugin / Waves Plugins in general? Because I'm beyond excited and shocked how good Pro Tools performs, granted that I'm still on the older version 10 (I do have 11 too but can't use it unless I shift gears to Mavericks.

What is your take on the whole matter? Have you experienced the same thing? Please let me know, I'm really curious to find out.

Mike
I can't comment on 11 because i am not ready to make the move yet, but Qclone is my main eq for mixing since a couple of years and i never had any issues with cpu spikes or anything like that. In fact, i find it very efficient on cpu usage. My typical mixing session has between 30 and 60 Q clone instances. Never had a glitch with it.

hoe this helps.

Cheers!
Old 05-24-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioluche View Post
I can't comment on 11 because i am not ready to make the move yet, but Qclone is my main eq for mixing since a couple of years and i never had any issues with cpu spikes or anything like that. In fact, i find it very efficient on cpu usage. My typical mixing session has between 30 and 60 Q clone instances. Never had a glitch with it.

hoe this helps.

Cheers!
Yeah, that's what I noticed, I mean, it is unreasonably stable and doesn't eat up much resources, just insane.

What system are you running PT on if I may ask?
Old 05-24-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I noticed, I mean, it is unreasonably stable and doesn't eat up much resources, just insane.

What system are you running PT on if I may ask?
I am still on PT HD10, running on a 8 core Mac from 2009 with OSX 10.7 with an HD3 accel.
I will upgrade for a HDX system on a 8 core 5.1 Mac pro in a couple of months, so i hope Qclone will be as fine or better on 11 than it is on my system.