Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-06-2010, 02:59 PM

Default Windows 7 and Pro Tools 9

I just added a brand new 500GB Hard Drive to my computer and loaded a fresh install of Windows 7 Professional that I bought today. Since I decided to not over write my old very stable OS Vista Business Hard Drive. (I put that HD away in case Pro Tools 9 crashes, isnt stable or just sucks..Ha Ha Ha) this way I can allways just put that HD back in my computer and be right were I was before. My question is do I need to load my Pro Tools 8 M-Powered to my fresh Windows 7 install to be able to crossload update Pro Tools 9?

Main:
Model: Dell 5750 Precision Workstation
CPU:*Intel Core Processor i7-10750H (6 Core, 12MB Cache, 2.60 GHz to 5.00 GHz,
Memory:64GB, 2X32GB,DDR4 2933Mhz Non-ECC
OS M.2 512GB PCIe NVMe, Record Intel 1TB SSD, 2T SSD, 1TB SSD
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen
AVID Pro Tools 2023.12
JBL LSR4328P 8"
JBL LSR310S 10 inch Powered Studio Subwoofer*
Yamaha HS50M Studio Monitors
Alesis Elevate 3 Studio Monitors
M-Audio Axiom 61 Midi Controller
Old 11-06-2010, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Windows 7 and Pro Tools 9

That's a very good question. I decided to try PT9 on my clean Win 7 laptop as my main machine is still XP. Install went fine but PT force closes at the end of it's plugin check (that's a rather annoying place in the startup for it to decide not to work) saying it can't find an interface, despite having a working ASIO interface (tested using other apps) plugged in via USB.

I installed my M-P interface in the vain hope that it would work with a known working m-audio interface and hopefully let me change over to my ASIO interface in setup but no joy.

Unless this is a bug thing, my next idea is that maybe I needed to have PT8MP on the machine and downloaded the upgrade installer?

I can't find a list of known working ASIO interfaces although I believe one must exist somewhere.

At the moment, I have an expensive file taking up space on my HD which is rather frustrating.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justus1900 View Post
do I need to load my Pro Tools 8 M-Powered to my fresh Windoes 7 install to be able to crossload update Pro Tools 9?
No. Pro Tools 9 is a full standalone installer.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayzed View Post
That's a very good question. I decided to try PT9 on my clean Win 7 laptop as my main machine is still XP. Install went fine but PT force closes at the end of it's plugin check (that's a rather annoying place in the startup for it to decide not to work) saying it can't find an interface, despite having a working ASIO interface (tested using other apps) plugged in via USB.

I installed my M-P interface in the vain hope that it would work with a known working m-audio interface and hopefully let me change over to my ASIO interface in setup but no joy.

Unless this is a bug thing, my next idea is that maybe I needed to have PT8MP on the machine and downloaded the upgrade installer?

I can't find a list of known working ASIO interfaces although I believe one must exist somewhere.

At the moment, I have an expensive file taking up space on my HD which is rather frustrating.
Usually PT takes a while when you are first booting up for the first time with it. Load it up without installing any extra plugins. That will make it go faster. But Open it and leave it for abot 5mins and it should be ok.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 11-07-2010, 01:08 AM

Try this, Just read it from http://www.airusersblog.com/home-pag...and-fix-p.html

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 11-11-2010, 01:36 PM

I worked it out, I reckon.

It seems PT will not work with ASIO drivers that do not use 32, 64, 128, 256 etc buffer values.

I'm happy I know what it is.

Do you know, every other single application, every single one, that I have run has lived with non-byte aligned buffer values.

If this is truly what is causing the problem, I am a little disgusted. I suppose the transfer of the Digi DAE code to ASIO brought the limitation across (although it's not a limitation when using Digi interfaces 'cause that's all they do) but everyone else (including the bedroom coder) manages it.

I love the PT editing paradigm but I've always felt that their coding was a whisker suspect.

Please correct me if anyone can get an EMU 1820m working, or a Kore 1, or if I'm wrong about this.

It seems I can get PT to work fine when using the MOTU but I didn't want to use that on the machine I planned to run PT9 on. Never mind.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:09 PM

Hello guys!
I need your help
has a long history ....
I work with a PC O / S win7, with ProTools, 2 RME Fireface 800 and a DM2000 as a remote control or a simple mixer ... great stuff
Firefaces are connected via ADAT to the DM2000 MY8-AT through 4, and are connected to the PC via FireWire 800.
in the I / O setup protools9 I can see all the default inputs of both RME, 28 inputs and outputs
if I try to do a mix of a song with 32 audio tracks mono, I can only handle the first 16 out of the Fireface first, there is no output signal from the second Fireface.
In the window protools9 mix, however, I see the presence of signal on all 32 tracks.
if I try to record an instrument, such as a keyboard, connected to the inputs of the second Fireface front, (1,7,8,9,10), the signal passes through the Fireface but does not exit from pt9
P: S: none of this happens with other software
can someone give me a hand?
Thanks to all
mrflat
Old 10-20-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrflat View Post
Hello guys!
I need your help
has a long history ....
I work with a PC O / S win7, with ProTools, 2 RME Fireface 800 and a DM2000 as a remote control or a simple mixer ... great stuff
Firefaces are connected via ADAT to the DM2000 MY8-AT through 4, and are connected to the PC via FireWire 800.
in the I / O setup protools9 I can see all the default inputs of both RME, 28 inputs and outputs
if I try to do a mix of a song with 32 audio tracks mono, I can only handle the first 16 out of the Fireface first, there is no output signal from the second Fireface.
In the window protools9 mix, however, I see the presence of signal on all 32 tracks.
if I try to record an instrument, such as a keyboard, connected to the inputs of the second Fireface front, (1,7,8,9,10), the signal passes through the Fireface but does not exit from pt9
P: S: none of this happens with other software
can someone give me a hand?
Thanks to all
mrflat
I would start a new thread with this

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave